Search results

1. W

Topping MX5, A new device?

Mine is fine. A very slight tick/pop when turning off. No noise when switching inputs. Silent when the power is on and no signal I'm happy with this device. The terminals are too close together to use my banana plugs so I tinned the wire instead.
  2. W

Monitor Audio Silver 50 7g Bookshelf Speaker Review by Erin

I like speakers that have a protective grill over the tweeter. I have kids passing through and they generally like to touch everything. I like the aesthetic....I want good sound and something that doesn't look like a generic $100 speaker. Aiming the speaker straight into the room is generally...
  3. W

Bowers and Wilkins MM1 speakers...

I sold them in 2019 for $80. It didn't install a new driver with a completely fresh Windows 10 build on brand new hardware, whereas it worked fine in Windows 7, and 8. I resorted to using an external dongle DAC to feed the AUX so I still got at least 7 years use out of them. I had them plugged...
  4. W

AIYIMA A08 Pro Amplifier Review

came to the thread for the VU meter. if they had a more traditional box shape, it would be a fun amp to use for a desktop system
  5. W

FWIW, I just got mine and there is zero switching noise between inputs The lack of a subwoofer out is definitely an omission they should address. The headphone stage seems quite good, lots of power for my Hifiman, HD600 and Focal
  6. W

do regular banana plugs fit into the terminals? They look smaller than usual in the picture
  7. W

Is using a mini air blower for cleaning speakers a good idea?

I would not go anywhere near AMT with anything. I have the Giottos Rocket Blaster and I use it for electronics and lenses. I tried it on an aluminium dome tweeter and it was powerful enough to push the whole tweeter noticeably backwards (but it sprung back into place). With a soft dome tweeter...
  8. W

Erin's Audio Corner YT channel is about to change...

wow, this must be devastating. When I first found out about Erin's channel, I was amazed because this is a guy who really loves this hobby to fund the purchase of the Klippel. Erins reviews are top notch and I like that he listens to the speakers first before using the data to understand why he...
  9. W

Klipsch The Fives Powered Bookshelf Speaker Review

I would take a KEF over almost any other traditional 2 way speaker in a case like yours where the speaker is sideways. The KEF basically will sound the same whether on its side or not. You would still want to aim down downwards even while sitting on the shelf if the speaker is way up high on the...
  10. W

Klipsch The Fives Powered Bookshelf Speaker Review

the key feature which separates these from other powered speakers is that they have an HDMI ARC input.....which means they handshake with your TV (HDMI CEC) for power and volume. The only other speaker that I'm aware of that has this feature is the new ELAC ConneX. From the measurements, this...
  11. W

Bookshelf speakers with similar response than HOMEPOD??

If you don't want to use a sub, you'll need big studio monitors, probably something with a 6" driver or more. You want something that can hit 40Hz. If you have a large enough desk, a tiny sub could be placed on top of your desk. Something like the Fostex PM-SUBmini could be placed beside one of...
  12. W

Kanto TUK vs Kanto YU6? Which should I purchase

I think there is a place for these kinds of speakers that have multiple inputs/DAC, BT, photo preamp and remote control. They also look quite nice, something that would more likely fit into decor in a living room etc. Personally if I was spending the amount of money for the TUK, I would just go...
  13. W

Audioengine A5+ Powered Speaker Review

Yeah, these are surprisingly competent for "mainstream" brand sold in every computer and electronics store. I had some Audioengine A2 and they were junk, but these look like something I could be happy with. It's offered in a bamboo finish which is quite unique looking.
  14. W

Kanto TUK vs Kanto YU6? Which should I purchase

I'd stick with the YU6. We don't have any measurements but other people's (in-room or other) measurements have shown the TUK to have elevated treble.
  15. W

Bookshelf speakers with similar response than HOMEPOD??

If you want to feel have bass as deep as the Homepod, there really is no substitute for a subwoofer. Even a system with a 6" sub should easily go as deep or deeper than the what the homepod gives you. So the edifier system mentioned above, or just buy a set of monitors with a sub output and add...
  16. W

Dynaudio Emit20 reviews

I noticed on the other thread that there were links to the soundstage review and measurements of the Monitor Audio 500 and 300 Silver 7th gen. They look fine.....some small scale flaws like the 6G that amir measured, but nothing that would be an immediate deal breaker. So it seems to me that the...
  17. W

Dynaudio Emit20 reviews

The latest Dynaudio Emit speakers were developed with their latest Jupiter facility so I'd expect them to be decent (the previous Emit models with the "M" in the name....M10, M20 etc were pre-Jupiter) The Polk R200 is a competent speaker, as measurements of the various models has shown Monitor...
  18. W

Since you posted here advocating for these speakers, why not send these to Amir for testing? They aren't large so they are easy to ship. It's way better than me and you arguing about these, which is getting nowhere fast. You seem adamant that these are great speakers. I'm adamant these are...
  19. W

lol, are you kidding? @HarmonicTHD asked you above to provide some facts about why this is good sounding. I don't see any. This forum relies on measurements to keep us honest, that's what I mean by high standards. Measurements are at the core of the reviews in this forum So at this point, it's...
  20. W

3.0 or 3.1 system in Canada for <3k?

I just use a old small SVS sub for my TV system. I have gone down the road of chasing subsonic bass but in the end, it's just a fun thing to have. You basically need a sub to fill in the lows 30Hz-60Hz and that gives you that bass feel. You can always turn it down using the level control to...
Top Bottom