Search results

1. O

Snake oil in photography

This is partially a thing of how much bits per channel can the sensor generate. For example we usually use sRGB, which is 8bit per one channel. Many current cameras create 12bit or 14bit RAW files which is great for post processing. Sensors are usually also nominally capturing 12-14 bits but...
  2. O

Snake oil in photography

I posted this photo before when I was asking for directions how to edit it. I used to be a photoreporter and beauty photography wasnt exactly my thing. But... Bokeh at M43, M.Zuiko 75mm F1.8 lens. Taken outside at 1/2000 at F1.8 with flash in FP mode. People speak about Fullframe as it is...
  3. O

Snake oil in photography

I have been advocating film photography for quite a long time. That included FullFrame format too, as I own few vintage lenses by Zeiss. In 2015 I decided to give another try to a digital photography, while after owning heavy set of vintage film gear, I was looking for compact system with...
  4. O

Snake oil in photography

They designed rangefinders and that became their staple. More recently they designed Micro4/3 system but they never made any products of their own. There are few M43 lenses branded as Lumix Leica DG, and from my experience they are exceptional. I would not say that the brand is special, when...
  5. O

Snake oil in photography

Its called Stacked CMOS sensor. IMX472 and IMX272 are both 20 megapixel Micro 4/3 sensors. First one is stacked CMOS, so it in fact has 80 megapixels, which are read in groups of 4 and what is presented is the average. On top of its its back-illuminated sensor. IMX 272 has "native" 20...
  6. O

Snake oil in photography

It is, I used it from time to time, but it goes right against the idea of high pixel-count sensor. Smaller pixels mean higher noise albeit at finer grain (relative to whole image). From what I have seen on Sony cameras - A7 III - 24Mpix , A7R III - 42Mp and A7S III - 12Mp, there is definitely...
  7. O

Snake oil in photography

I just ran through sensor lineup of Sony: https://www.sony-semicon.com/en/products/is/camera/index.html The important thing is pixel density characterized pixel size in microns. Now I took 20MP M43 sensor IMX272/269 which is probably in my camera (Olympus EM-5 MKIII), and compared it with...
  8. O

Best software for Blu-ray pure audio

I have PowerDVD 20. I pointed out on their support forum that when using SPDIF, audio output switches to 48KHz 16bit Stereo and it should not happen. They claimed that SPDIF is limited to 16bit 48KHz stereo, which is simply not true - the limitation is 24bits 192KHz stereo. My impression is...
  9. O

Snake oil in photography

I have been dealing with snakeoil claims in gaming computer builds for some time - most commonly how a mouse with higher polling rate will help you win, while people on this forum seem to be particularly knowlegeable about the tech in general I would like to ask their opinion on snakeoil in...
  10. O

What lenses are you currently using?

I usually carry Olympus EM-5 Mark III body with: M. Zuiko 12-40mm F2.8 - equal to 24-80mm on FF sensors. Lumix G X 35-100mm F2.8 - Equal to 70-200mm, but extremely compact. Surprisingly great portrait and street lens Lumix Leica DG Summilux 25mm F1.4 Mark II - "nifty fifty" with nice bokeh On...
  11. O

Pics you’ve taken,

My home city is about to get its own skyline.
  12. O

Pics you’ve taken,

Some of my recent Halloween work. Scarecrow: Joker
  13. O

Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3 Measurements (DAC & Streamer)

Slightly off topic, but... The photos of the DAC are really nice. I never did product photography, but this could pass at pro level without any trouble.
  14. O

Pics you’ve taken,

Does this answer your question? :)
  15. O

Pics you’ve taken,

Historic reenactment group member in an uniform of a Prussian officer.
  16. O

Ending the Windows Audio Quality Debate

I did few tests on my system based on the initial assumption a) The assumption was confirmed used FFT measuring. b) I did try to play two signals at 18KHz and 19.5KHz at -0.14dB for IMD measuring and I confirmed that I have to sacrifice even more headroom. In this case the effect even worse and...
  17. O

Pics you’ve taken,

Clares church, Bratislava
  18. O

Amp measurements of d3020 v2 (at home)

Then its a manufacturing issue as you suggested. The latter isnt true for at least 10 years.
  19. O

Before that try different sources. I use SPDIF, it can be configured to Bluetooth AptX as well. Also, yeah, it has quite low wattage, but I was looking for low power solution for small room, near field anyway. For the amplifier - its NADs custom build based on...
  20. O

No such issue for me. Speakers may click once when powered on, once when OS initiates soundcard for the first time since boot, but otherwise there is no noise.
Top Bottom