Search results

1. K

What to do about the ABX test?

If you imagine this statement of the obvious rebuts what I wrote, you are seriously misreading what I wrote.
  2. K

And here we go again.... Yes, just as with amps, cables, DACs, there are *conceivable conditions* under which it is *humanly possible* to tell hi rez from CD rate. Do those conditions normally pertain when listening to home audio? NO. Yet 'golden ears' would have you believe they do. Even...
  3. K

And hare we go again.... Yes, just as with amps, there are *conceivable conditions* under which it is *humanly possible* to tell hi rez from CD rate. Do those conditions normally pertain? NO. Yet 'golden ears' would have you believe they do. Even their wives can hear it.
  4. K

It needn't be ABX. ABX is just one kind of blind test. Harman's blind speaker preference tests aren't ABX. I would, if you want to eliminate bias from appearance , price knowledge, etc. So? That only means, don't assume you are only responding to the sound, at home. If you have results...
  5. K

Are GIK Acoustic's Sound Blocks really a revolutionary concept?

Look, I don't disagree this is shady marketing. I'm imagining what their response would be. 'Still active' is a measurable claim and doubtless technically true (...albeit insignificant), and 'great performance' is pure subjectivity. So they can still wiggle.
  6. K

Well, no, if the test is actually well-controlled, and the reporting source is not lying, it provides evidence that the difference under test can be heard. That it is 'real'. What it doesn't mean, by itself, is that you will hear it.
  7. K

Blind conditions are certainly crucial if you want to pin the basis of the preference on the audio alone. It's why blind testing is of course used in Toole/Olive speaker preference research. Speakers do sound different; but preference can still be biased by non audio factors.
  8. K

Amps can sound different...e.g., when one or more of them is clipping. No one claims otherwise. I'm invoking the ghost of Arny Kruger to chide you for not noting that here (you noted it in the original ASR post).
  9. K

And I think this is a very, very important consideration. Far too often debates about blind audio tests bog down in 'best case' results...results that pretty much can only be obtained using optimized protocols that are FAR in excess of the sensitivity available during typical listening. (Or...
  10. K

We don't need an 'alternative'. All anyone needs, is to understand and acknowledge the *fact* that their 'sighted' audio claims of difference are going to be subject to cognitive bias. Which means their claims should be accordingly tempered, qualified, or supported with excellent proof. It's...
  11. K

Are GIK Acoustic's Sound Blocks really a revolutionary concept?

Well they claim it's 'still active' below 50Hz . I.e. it isn't zero. That gives them some rather shady rhetorical wiggle room.
  12. K

Michael Fremer Leaving Stereophile?

What does 'sounded like' mean and how is that arrived at? Blind switching to see if they could be told apart?
  13. K

What is Alan Shaw on about? (is "coloration" unmeasurable?)

All the more reason for someone...maybe Alan Shaw -- to send Amir an M30.2 AE and see if they really perform that well (on axis, at least, from the looks of it; the lack of details about that measurement is concerning).
  14. K

Does Hi-Res Audio Have a Future?

Swapping out an AVR doesn't take up more room either.
  15. K

Not sure what all the current flapping is about since we do have an Amir measuremed result for a (admittedly ~2002 vintage) Harbeth bookshelf speaker. To paraphrase him, the reputational 'halo' was not borne out by the measurements...
  16. K

All a 5.1 system needs to become 'Atmos ready' is two speakers on the ceiling.
  17. K

It will always have a place in audio production. And that's the place it really matters. It's standard now. At home, eh, mixing and mastering are still 99.9% more important than the container format. And surround audio has been offered on home video releases for more than 20 years now, and...
  18. K

Do We Want All Speakers To Sound The Same ?

Yes, ideally, of course. If I wanted 'colors', I'd add them with EQ. Andin that imaginary techtopia no doubt there would be a market for 'emulator' software/boxes , like what guitar plays have now, for those strange souls who think speakers should be like musical instruments and really...
  19. K

A speaker with a built-in 'house curve' won't give you that 'house curve' at your listening seat unless 1) you are very lucky or 2) it's an active speaker with EQ DSP , and comes with a measurement mic etc. . Any house curve is a *desired measured response at the listening position*. By...
  20. K

Behringer Truth B2031A - how truthful is it? (review / modding)

If you add a sub crossed over right, the toll on a woofer is significantly reduced. And without good measurement suite to aid you, I think 'hacking' a speaker design like you intend to is an iffy proposition at best.
Top Bottom