Search results

1. norcalscott

Sundara closed back measurements?

These are pretty new I believe - just released in the last couple of weeks? Interesting design with the wood, but I am seeing a lot of complaints about how "orange" the wood looks - is a bit strange they used that shade of stain. Hopefully someone will send Amir a pair of these for testing.
  2. norcalscott

Good file management app for iPhone to access my NAS?

FYI - I'm using an app called "FileBrowser Pro" on my iPad, not sure if there is an iOS version (I use an Android phone) and this app has changed the way I work on an iPad - it can connect to every storage or file system I've tried and it can also sync complete folders between my iPad and Google...
  3. norcalscott

Will Google deliver us from Dolby

Yes, no doubt manufacturers will continue to have to support, and pay royalties, for any formats that are required. Where things could change would be on the SW front, like with the ability to get multi-channel decoding / conversion support in Linux, FFMPEG and really even easily in Windows...
  4. norcalscott

Will Google deliver us from Dolby

I'm holding out hope that Google will at least be able to provide some competition to Dolby. Samsung, DTS, Technicolor and others have not been able to get it done so far. Many on this forum complain about licensing for things like MQA but as someone who works with IP licensing in the...
  5. norcalscott

Winamp update released after 4 years ...

Yes, you could see that culture clash coming with AOL from a mile away. I think if Microsoft had acquired them it would have been a much better fit, especially if that had become Media Player for audio (the later versions of which I could never get used to).
  6. norcalscott

Winamp update released after 4 years ...

I used Winamp for many years. My favorite feature was the quality of the visualizations - really seemed like it created things that "matched" the music that was playing - still have not found anything that does that better than Winamp did it.
  7. norcalscott

Carver Raven 350 Review (Tube Amp)

Yes, this is very interesting and I would love to see statistics of who purchases these kinds of devices. I doubt the buyer of these would be a total audio noob and they are likely for the most part old enough to be familiar with Bob Carver - the way his signature and name take top billing is...
  8. norcalscott

FiiO BTR7 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

I have one of those as well and when it first released, it didn't work with several phones I tried it with, but I happened to dig it out a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to find that it worked with my Samsung S21 (using USB Audio Player) and my iPad Pro, and it actually sounds...
  9. norcalscott

Certainly didn't mean to imply they are, but I know a few folks in these socioeconomic categories who want to spend their money on what they perceive to be the best products, and they don't have the time nor the desire to visit sites like this one. This Carver fiasco (both this unit and the...
  10. norcalscott

IMO this is just another money grab off of Bob Carver's name, and nothing more. The 275 was aimed at the "lower end" of the audiophile market and this unit is aimed at the "higher tier" of folks who have more money to spend on boutique looking products. I'm sure two of these look cool in a...
  11. norcalscott

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

As you mentioned, my understanding is that the updated firmware does not show "2020" in the screen you posted. I purchased mine last year and my firmware is the same as yours and I have not experienced any issues at all. At this point, I would be sure that all units in the field have been...
  12. norcalscott

New Volumio Rivo

Tagging @amirm to make sure he sees this.
  13. norcalscott

New Volumio Rivo

Thank you for posting here! Your point about this including the premium subscription to Volumio is an important additional value, and I agree that having a ready-to-go package without the need for Pi tinkering is going to appeal to many. I hope that you will consider sending one of these to...
  14. norcalscott

New Volumio Rivo

I am not sure about the value proposition of the Rivo - It's basically made from a $95 Khadus SBPC, with some other input/output boards. Maybe worth 400 Euro but not much more than that in my opinion. I guess the issue is that Raspberry Pi's are still hard to get, but I believe that is a...
  15. norcalscott

Show us your Cars

Beautiful! That's one of my dream cars to own.
  16. norcalscott

MQA full unfolding w/o a MQA enable DAC

I suspect that the Lumin is just doing an initial SW unfold, same as the Tidal app running on Windows. This thread seems to have some information, but I would imagine if the Lumin is doing a "full unfold" they would specify it that way instead of just claiming to decode MQA. Now, whether or...
  17. norcalscott

S.M.S.L SU-9n issue

Good point, I have not compared a tear down of them. I do suspect there have been some component changes and definitely firmware changes (and I believe the 9N can be firmware upgradeable which probably points to other component changes), but you are right, the SU-9 and SU-9N certainly appear to...
  18. norcalscott

S.M.S.L SU-9n issue

Having worked for several electronics manufacturers over the years, I would say the big problem with these kinds of products is that the Chinese move so fast with design and production, that they do not always spend a nominal amount of time with testing prototypes, or with burning in production...
  19. norcalscott

Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speaker review & measurements by Erin's Audio Corner

I think he is really overreaching on this one - spend 50% of the speaker price on his kit to get, what, 5% improvement? I am actually impressed with what we can see of the factory crossover - it looks a lot more elaborate than I would have thought.
  20. norcalscott

Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speaker review & measurements by Erin's Audio Corner

Great to see these tested! I based my purchase of them last year on other reviews and tests, but would have rather seen them tested here, or in this case, by Erin, who is someone I trust. I am of the old school thinking that 3 way systems with decent woofers are the way to go, and these things...
Top Bottom