Search results

1. N

Topping a90discrete

Interesting to see your comments. I can believe it. My only experience with Focals was in a local Richer Sounds store (UK Hifi chain store catering to more mainstream audio visual tastes - a chain with excellent service to be sure but generally not the higher end or esoteric stuff). I scuttled...
  2. N

Topping a90discrete

I will of course let you know what I think of the Aeon 2 Noires again when the new ones arrive given that I returned the originals I heard to get the Stealth. It'll be a bit sad if I hear them and go meh wheres the wow having heard the Stealths (I'll laugh at myself then). I am slightly worried...
  3. N

Topping a90discrete

I'm glad I could be helpful. As I said, Dan Clark ought to be commended for what they've done. I heard the Sennheiser hd820's and Beyer t1's recently too and they're nowhere near as good as either DCA headphone. I cant speak for the Focal Stellias but I've come to the conclusion that to justify...
  4. N

Topping a90discrete

Hi, Well I sent the d90se and A90d back. Sure they were good and I thought I could hear marginally more detail from the d90se than from the E50 (though that was only from recent memory). Turns out I couldn't. Basically the objectivists are right. If you think you can hear improvement you...
  5. N

Topping a90discrete

Well like I said previously. I bought the "90 stack" with a view to using the dca stealths balanced on them. The aim was an end game setup. I had previously listened to the dca aeon 2 noires and the beyer dt 770 32 ohm on the e50/l50 stack and was wowed by the dca aeon 2 noires. Even the Beyers...
  6. N

Topping a90discrete

Ok thank you. I accept I'm not providing the info necessary. I am not an engineer and not particularly technical. I accept that different units will have different volume curves but I am slightly surprised to find such variation within a manufacturer. That said I suspect that the volume curve...
  7. N

Topping a90discrete

ok so having set the d90se to dac mode and the output voltage to 5v the a90d is slightly better but still the l50 seems louder. Its not even like the beyer headphones are hard to drive. The d90se though seems to be incredibly detailed. Its probably imagination as I'm going off memory but I...
  8. N

Topping a90discrete

Well I got the d90se today and plugged it and .... Nope still need to push the volume control to midnight to well over 40 to get any sort of decent volume and more like 50. At 60 it starts to become uncomfortable but unlike the e50/l50 stack it seems to need a much higher volume setting to get...
  9. N

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

dont know about the the m200 but my a90d arrived today. Whilst waiting for my new d90se and dca stealths, I plugged an old smsl m500 mk 1 into it using balanced with the beyer dt770's 32 ohm on the 6.3mm connection. On high gain I had to push the volume knob to 50 to get comfortable listening...
  10. N

Topping a90discrete

well obviously it will be a few days between listens so I cant make a direct comparison it will have to be from memory though I don't think my memory on this is so bad with only say a week between them. The Beyers are definitely not in the same league - not on the E50/l50 and not on the A90d...
  11. N

Topping a90discrete

that was my calculation. Once bought this is it until a component in the chain blows up. The aeon 2 noires sounded amazing with e50/l50 so I see no reason why this new stack cant improve on things. I'm sure i saw some posts on the volume control behaviour but I cant remember where. I wonder if...
  12. N

Topping a90discrete

well it could if a i had a multimeter. b if I lived less than 60 miles from the nearest stores.
  13. N

Topping a90discrete

Yeah well I tried the aeon 2 noire with an e50/l50 and decided it had to be returned to the vendor. It was so good that after reading a few reviews about the Stealth (Amir's and others) and the fact that it was an audible improvement on the Noires and then with Amir additional coquettish...
  14. N

Topping a90discrete

Right thank you for that. Will wait very impatiently ;->
  15. N

Topping a90discrete

or is it something to do with the discrete volume control. Is it linear or calibrated some way differently from a normal pot. I'm new to this. I like the looks of the machine and the display. In black the display info comes through really clearly. Its certainly quiet even when turned right up...
  16. N

Topping a90discrete

Hi all, I'm going nuts. I decided to buy a topping a90d and D90se. The A90d turned up. The d90se arrives tomorrow. I decided to try an old smsl m500 with it using balanced interconnection. Plugged everything in and it worked. I'm waiting for the Dan Clark Stealths to arrive as well so plugged...
  17. N

Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed, Aeon 2 Noire and Stealth

I must confess, I find nothing wrong with the quality/feel of the E50/L50 stack and I'm fairly picky. I suppose the front panel looks a little industrial but nothing looks badly made. It doesn't creak or bend and nothing rattles. The volume control could be marginally smoother but this is...
  18. N

Well the Aeon Noire 2's are just stunning and thats compared with Senn HD800's, Senn HD 820's, Shure 1540's, Focal Elegias Hifiman Sundaras, Beyer DT770's and Shure 530's.
  19. N

I'm about to start listening to classical. I may be gone some time ;-> Tbh I'm dithering about gong up the scale further. Its hard to believe you could improve much on this and I haven't even tried eq'ing it yet. I'm slightly concerned that should I upgrade I'd be disappointed by the scale of...
  20. N

aaaarggggh you're cruel I can feel a return coming on and another 3K being spent. The only track so far I've been disappointed by is the Beatles glass onion. Perhaps I'm just used to the Beyers on that one. Everything else thus far has been miles better. I'm hearing stuff I haven't heard in ages.
Top Bottom