Search results

1. G

Dirac Live 3.1.1 bugs?

Very difficult experience with Dirac Live 3.3.3. I have a miniDSP DDRC-88D 8 in, 8 out all digital device with Dirac. Setting up Dirac yesterday, I downloaded the latest version of Dirac (3.3.3) and proceeded to run it. I have run this many times, but not with an 8 channel device, only with...
  2. G

MiniDSP DDRC-88D

Very true. I went with the DDRC-88D and a better DAC to get the highest quality possible. Which at this point, I think I have, but this is a limitation of the DDRC-88D that I was not originally aware of. The UFX can easily record projects up to 192K so if we ever converted to anything above 48K...
  3. G

MiniDSP DDRC-88D

AH, I just found that in the manual. Given this info, it's probably best to just leave it as is, since converting it back to 44.1 after it's been internally converted to 48K would introduce more errors. Tried connecting the RME directly to the DAC8 (good suggestion!) and indeed it does show...
  4. G

MiniDSP DDRC-88D

I have a studio monitor setup that is configured like this. RME UFX II AES output --> MiniDSP DDRC-88D (AES) --> Okto DAC8 Pro (Pure AES Mode) --> Power Amps --> Speakers The RME is set to 44.1K. It appears that the DDRC-88D is resampling the signal and outputting at 48Khz. Is there any way to...
  5. G

How to make quasi-anechoic speaker measurements/spinoramas with REW and VituixCAD

Thanks, sorry for being such an idiot! haha. I understand the math, just didn't know how it related to the frequency. Thanks for helping me understand.
  6. G

Headphone Measurements - HD650

I have no idea how that is done or what is required. Can you point me to some information about that?
  7. G

Thanks for that info. Hmm, since the ear is not a precision-milled piece of aluminum, and indeed every one is different, I'm not convinced that something representative couldn't be made from something relatively inexpensive. Certainly if you want to create measurements across the industry that...
  8. G

Thanks for that, and just FYI, I've been using an IR based on YOUR measurements in my DAW for the HD650, so thanks for all your work on these and many other headphones. I'm actually amazed at how close my measurement is, given that I clearly am missing a lot in my model. I think it would fit...
  9. G

Yes, but your friendly DIY hacker can only try one simple thing at a time :) I suspect a more detailed design would potentially sharpen up that boost and not make it so rounded. That's why maybe just adding in the boosts you've shown in your graph might actually be more accurate, not sure. I...
  10. G

Good points, thanks for that! For headphone's, can you ignore the torso/neck and spherical head influence? Seems like the headphones, being clamped against your head (talking over ear headphones), removes those influences. I was on a similar thought line and it turns out much of the difference...
  11. G

Correct, clearly the "big boys" have a lot more realistic rig. However, what I've failed to find thus far are what the effects of the things you list, realistic ear, ear canal, impedance of the ear drum, etc. make? Does a realistic ear shape, canal, and material effect all frequencies? Probably...
  12. G

So I had a few questions in my mind about headphones, frequency responses, and corrections. How consistent are headphone frequency responses, not only among different sets of headphones, but also over the years of production? And also as they age, so not only the question of "does a headphone...
  13. G

Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater Article

Yes I'm aware of that, but sort of took it for granted. Thanks for pointing that out as others might not be aware of these very valid points. It was really just a snide comment, which I shouldn't do on a public forum, apologies, it was all in good fun.
  14. G

There are a few for sale on fleabay, after you get them we'll plan a trip over and bring our favorite records :)
  15. G

As a rock-n-roll drummer who got his start playing in redneck bars in the 70s... I've logged many hours hand trucking a set of those to shows! There were no better PA speakers for small bands in those days. After a few years, we added two more bottom cabinets that we built ourselves. We copied...
  16. G

Active Crossover Tweeter Protection

That's probably a good approach. Amp faults, at least with old school amps like I have, tend to fault DC to the speakers and the rest typically comes from upstream of the DSP. I'm not sure how class D amps fail, probably the same as the MOSFETs are still switching the DC supply to create the...
  17. G

The previous poster was talking about fixing any frequency roll-off that might be caused by a passive device in front of your speaker via the DSP crossover. It's a valid point. And DSP limiters and protection are of limited help as they are before the amps. They can help with any issue that's...
  18. G

The whole point of protection is to protect against some "problem" or fault. Either an equipment failure, or a self inflicted problem. Like someone plugging in an input cable to an amp when it's turned on. Or accidently bumping a cable and causing a big noise, or even a power surge/failure. The...
  19. G

All good points, and good questions. What would be a procedural method of doing this for any tweeter? 1. Fuse method is potentially unreliable, so is that out for a procedure? 2. The impedance at the crossover frequency would require finding an impedance chart, but of course even then it's a...
Top Bottom