Search results

1. D

MoFi MM cartridges - AT generators, with an aluminium body wrapped around them?

Just saw some reviews... had a look at a couple of marketing images... The MoFi MM cartridges, seem to be a core AT generator body (possibly AT95) - fitted into a solid aluminium surround, and with a Stylus "plug" used... Same deal as for the Clearaudio Concept MM cartridges. They bulk buy...
  2. D

HDMI and Audio Jitter

In days of yore (circa 2008) - there were massive discussions about Audio Jitter and HDMI Paul Miller measured Jitter on a bunch of AVR's and this list tells an interesting story: Denon AVR-3803A --------------- SPDIF: 560psec HDMI: 3700psec Onkyo TX-NR906 --------------- SPDIF: 470psec HDMI...
  3. D

"Monkey Coffins" (box speakers) and Resonances...

So, I became an audiophile in my late teens, and at 20 was working in a "HiFi" store (also the first home theatre store in our region!) ... circa 1985. This retailer sold speakers that have affected my audio journey ever since... We had Quad ESL-63 electrostatics, Revox Agora B active, Boston...
  4. D

Loudness Management (Fletcher-munson?) - Dolby vs Audyssey Dynamic EQ in current generation AVR's

So, for years now, I have been using Audyssey Dynamic EQ for evening listening at lower levels... Basically it combines a set of loudness curves (bass & high boost) with some compression (I think?) Now as I move away from Audyssey, I am considering AVR's where the main equivalent appears to be...
  5. D

Upmixing - where are we at? Have people compared upmixers?

So, in the early days of surround, I had a Lexicon DC1 and then an MC1... These used Logic7 which did a fantastic job of upmixing stereo Dolby Surround to 5.1 or 7.1 channels... Then there was Dolby's own PLII - variable, but frequently OK ... varied dramatically with different implementations...
  6. D

Can one turn a Stereo amp into a Parallel Monoblock? (Not Bridged!)

So reading random interesting bits of the internet, I came across the concept of the Parallel Amplifier.... At the component level, two amplification circuits, run in parallel, keeping the same V output, but doubling the current - sort of the Yin to a Bridged setup's yang... The amp would have...
Top Bottom