Search results

1. E

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Ah you mean, can I hear the ultra-low distortion at full power? Haha, agreed no. I am indeed talking about being able to get acceptable levels of distortion/noise as the signal goes far below the maximum output level. So, if there were amplifiers whose distortion/noise levels stayed at some...
  2. E

Raal SR1a with modded cables and connected to a transformer to get that kind of sensitivity. Headphone amps work great for driving things with high impedance, but mostly not so great for low impedance, and most would heat up internally a huge amount in those kind of conditions, if not get...
  3. E

I'm still puzzled on the "why do you care so much to judge" thing. You also don't know my application. Yes my example above is technically a headphone, but it was one that is meant for being driven on speaker amp taps given the low impedance. There might be cases where it might dip as low as...
  4. E

This is getting ridiculous. You really want to make the argument that going beyond what is necessary is equivalent to the fancy audio cable snake oil thing?? It really feels like you're making such an argument without actually considering the data. 2 things: 1) fancy audio cables don't even...
  5. E

While I would mostly agree, it is getting in the Zone of some headphone amps, and as someone who can hear the noise floor on some supposedly low distortion amps, pushing further into the zone of "no-way can we hear distortion or noise" has appeal. Well-made speaker driver units decrease the ...
  6. E

I'm not sure why you're spending all this effort dissing the Topping LA90, which is a confirmed achievement in low distortion measurements at anywhere near that level of power output at any price, much less sub-$1000 which is unheard of in the audiophile world. If you don't need or want this...
  7. E

True, but the profit vs. build cost margins were WAYYY higher "back in the day". From an inflation-adjusted point of view, the $500 - $1000 stereo from ~1970 would be like 10X that in current pricing. The $5000 - $10000 category of amps and stereos indeed have much more customer service/etc...
  8. E

Does anyone have a measurement of the idle power of one of the LA90 units yet? I did a search and couldn't seem to find any comments on the thread about it.
  9. E

Schittius vs. Topping 50 Stack - Amp Power vs. DAC Specs?

I have both a Schiit Modius/Magnius and a Topping D30 Pro/A50s stack. My current summary on measurements and things I've used them for: Schiit Modius/Magnius: Strengths: POWER!!! It produces insane maximum power for a headphone amp, you can run it at high power and it doesn't seem to...
  10. E

RAAL-requisite SR1a Ribbon Headphone Review

FYI to those on this forum. I got the TI-1a and modulo the question of how you do the OB compensation, in my current limited listening sessions, it sounds close enough to identical to the old amp/ribbon interface box that I couldn't really tell the difference except that it's of course much...
  11. E

RAAL-requisite SR1a Ribbon Headphone Review

I ordered one of the new TI-1a adapter boxes yesterday after the announcement, and should have it in maybe 1 1/2 to 2 weeks from what they told me, and will report initial findings back to the forum. Personally, I like the idea of the OB compensation not being done in analog in the box. I'm...
  12. E

Center channel for Home Theater

At various times in the past, with my living room AVR (Yamaha series AVR), I'd tried both L/R and L/C/R configurations, even tonally matched ones. For my own results, their "virtual center" mode has worked quite well, though admittedly with a loss of center localization when sitting far enough...
  13. E

topping a30/d30 pro stack vs a50s/d50s stack

Your comments above presume that a balanced amp requires a balanced input. It depends entirely on the electrical implementation of the balanced amp, and the only ones that have the property of requiring balanced signals are ones that keep the separate legs of the signal and amplify them...
  14. E

Are headphone balanced cables snakeoil?

Picking up this thread again to mention yet another effect related to the crosstalk issue and the superiority of using 4-wire "balanced" vs. 3-wire "unbalanced" headphone cables. Specifically, if you use a resistor-based "headphone volume attenuator" which is the standard way to do attenuation...
  15. E

Topping A50s Headphone Amplifier Review

Hmm, I just rechecked the numbers, and I think I was limiting a bit on the maximum output of the A50s for the HE-6se and comparatively overshot for the A30 Pro. Shows what I get for going too fast estimating! Correcting the A50s formulas, it's ~2V + 6db = ~4V. Then, ~4V @ 64 ohm = ~250mW...
  16. E

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

OK, I stacked the numbers up including the IEMs I'm using, Shure SE-846's. They are ~116 db/mW and ~11 ohm impedance. The A50s at 1 microwatt (which would be ~86 db) are -85db noise floor @ 300 ohm, -77db noise floor @ 50 ohm, and a reasonable presumption would be a similar difference to get...
  17. E

Hmm, maybe we're looking at different measurements on the noise floor. I'm looking at both the Topping A30 Pro and A50s reviews on Audiosciencereview, where at 300 ohm and 50 ohm at lower power levels, such as 1 microwatt (in the zone where IEMs are more relevant). Down in that zone, the if...
  18. E

So I have a bit of a conundrum here. I've had a Topping A50s for a while and loved it, driving my Shure SE-846 IEMs using the balanced amp output. I recently acquired a Topping A30 Pro to use with my D30 Pro in a stack with XLR between them since I like being balanced everywhere, and using the...
  19. E

I was feeding it with a Schiit Modius and lately with a Topping D30 Pro. Both can output 2V IIRC correctly, and sound equally great to my ears for less sensitive headphone use. Note that in the HE-6se review, it rated the headphone output at 94 dbSPL at 1.37V, which is at ~30 mW. The max...
  20. E

I used my A50s to drive a Hifiman HE6se (not V2, but should be very similar) during a headphone shootout maybe 6 months ago, and the parties involved thought there was plenty of power. We did use the balanced output, and it sounded great, though obviously YMMV. Personally my main go-to for the...
Top Bottom