Search results

1. G

Audio Consulting - Silver Rock OPT NOS DAC

Rarely it is you come up with something other than SCAM after 30 years in the making .
  2. G

Audio Consulting - Silver Rock OPT NOS DAC

Is this a rhetorical question?
  3. G

SMSL D-6 DAC Review

Would be useful to also see IMD on unbalanced outputs for DACs that have balanced outputs.
  4. G

SMSL M400 Balanced USB MQA DAC Review

The Nyquist theorem certainly holds true, but the desired filter cutoff frequency naturally moves up with the increased sampling rate. As for noise shaping, I don’t think it has any bearing on the ideal filter.
  5. G

SMSL M400 Balanced USB MQA DAC Review

No. The ideal filter will be vertical drop from 0dB to infinity at 22.05kHz as everything above that frequency cannot be in a digital signal at 44.1kHz sampling (lookup Nyquist theorem). This is difficult to achieve in practice, so the typical set of available filters represent various...
  6. G

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

EVs can benefit from multiple gears, in fact Tesla experimented with it early on but abandoned the idea in favor of single speed reduction gear as making a reliable gearbox for high torque application is difficult or expensive.
  7. G

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Maybe. Back in 2011 there was a lot of talk that there will be 3rd party solutions for Leaf replacement batteries “soon”. Fast forward to 2022 and there’s still nothing. If battery powered EVs are the future this will happen sooner or later given sufficient demand is there, but every...
  8. G

A used Tesla battery from a wreck maybe. I personally would be uncomfortable letting some 3rd party to do such repairs, but ignorance is bliss.
  9. G

Do you have a reference to back this up? I’m genuinely curious, because if true this is pretty good.
  10. G

Have you heard of the fairly common Tesla drive unit problems on the model S? It’s a 10k job to get an out of warranty replacement, I can probably get a gas engine replaced cheaper than that. A new battery will run 25k or more I’d imagine. Batteries also die from age, not cycling, Tesla is an...
  11. G

Maybe I’m cheap, but I preferred a 25k car with shorter range that doesn’t last over a 100k one that does. It worked out ok. Many long term Tesla owners will be facing an out of pocket battery replacement, which won’t add much good to the cost of ownership experience. At least I can send my...
  12. G

Leaf batteries don’t do well in Florida, but you probably already know that. But if you’re handy and have a workshop in your garage/comfortable working around high voltage you can DIY refurb Leaf packs from a donor battery with relative ease.
  13. G

To be fair to the Leaf, it has been uber reliable, close to 0 issues over this term, sans the cooked battery, but I managed to squeeze new one from Nissan for free.
  14. G

I own a Nissan Leaf since 2011, put almost 190k miles on it and it still works for my current needs on a replaced battery, but we also have gas-powered cars in the family. I don't think my next car will be an EV because I'm tired of all the surrounding drama. Sure, the Leaf's limited range and...
  15. G

This was mainly an issue in hot climates. Leafs did pretty well in PNW for example. They also revised the battery in 2015 (?) and onward, that new battery was much more stable.
  16. G

Why would/should I pay more?

We all have our preferences, but elimination of an amplification stage from your chain is a good method to reduce noise and distortion, even if the gains are small.
  17. G

Why would/should I pay more?

Unless I had other sources to switch in I’d just replace the preamp with the RME ADI-2 DAC or maybe a Benchmark DAC3, this should alleviate the (unfounded) concern about going cheap and have some control over matching DAC output level to amp input sensitivity.
  18. G

Topping E30 II DAC Review

I saw a complaint of dropouts using Audiolab 6000CDT with the original E30.
  19. G

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

I may be late to the party but I finally got one of these, then I got one more. All I can say people experimenting with other DACs are wasting their time and money.
  20. G

Topping E30 II DAC Review

A Samsung TV with a broken screen off Craigslist?
Top Bottom