Search results

1. amirm

1mii Lavaudio DS400 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

This is a review and detailed measurements of the portable 1mii Lavaudio DS400 DAC, headphone amplifier and Bluetooth. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $145 but it is on Amazon for $91 including Prime shipping. The DS400 looks really elegant and reminds me of professional field...
  2. amirm

Is Digital Audio Transmission Analog? [video]

A new argument has developed that transmission of digital audio is really analog. And for this reason, everything digital can be subject to audible difference from digital audio cables to digital output of streamers. This was emphasizes in a video by Darko Audio saying this explains his...
  3. amirm

Parasound 2125 V.2 Amplifier Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Parasound 2125 V.2 power amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $899. The 2125 has an understated look with just a few touches to keep it from looking boring. The only controls in front are for which set of speakers it drives...
  4. amirm

Sabaj D4 Review (DAC & Amp)

This is a review of the Sabaj D4 DAC and headphone amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member. I see it being sold as low as $88. The box is rather odd looking as you see. The touch buttons are not the most sensitive. And the display is as tiny as you can get. But usable. Here is the rear...
  5. amirm

Chord GroundAray Review (Video)

This is a video companion to my review of Chord GroundAray "ground noise" filter: I had to shoot this four times! I don't edit my videos so they have to work in one take. First video hit a bug in my capture software where the first few seconds had a blank video. :( Second one was almost...
  6. amirm

Chord GroundARAY Review (Noise Filter?)

This is a listening test, comparison and measurements of the Chord GroundARAY "noise reduction" devices. Member kindly sent me the Ethernet one which costs US $795: Here is the picture of the full set: You are supposed to plug in the unit into the unused ports on your gear. And the more...
  7. amirm

SMSL D-6 DAC Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the SMSL D-6 balanced stereo DAC with Bluetooth. It was sent to be by Shenzhenaudio and costs US $169.99. I like the compact enclosure even though there is a built-in power supply and balanced outputs. Included volume control lets you bypass a...
  8. amirm

Genelec S360 Review (Studio Monitor)

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Genelec S360 (S360A) studio monitor. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $3995 each. It comes in both white and black. As you can see, it is quite a departure from other Genelec speakers with rectangular shape and non-coaxial drivers...
  9. amirm

Argon SA1 Amplifier Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Argon SA1 integrated amplifier with phono input and Bluetooth. It is on kind from a European member and costs €369. I have a soft spot for white audio electronics and the SA1 goes right after that! Quite elegant. What I didn't like is the lack...
  10. amirm

Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) ‘Star Trek’ actress, dies at 89

So long Uhura. Rest in peace. You brought us many fond memories. https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/31/entertainment/nichelle-nichols-star-trek-dies/index.html
  11. amirm

Electronics for Audiophiles: Voltage and Current (Video)

I am starting a new educational series on simple but essential engineering concepts/lingo we use in discussing audio products. This is the introductory video on voltage, current and power supplies: Please give feedback as to whether you find this type of video useful and I will make more of...
  12. amirm

Schiit Freya+ Pre-amp Review

This is a review, detailed measurements and listening tests of Schiit Freya+ selectable passive, active solid state, and tube pre-amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1,199 plus shipping. I am a fan of the wide aspect ratio Schiit audio products. They look a lot more classy...
  13. amirm

Topping E30 II DAC Review

This is review and detailed measurements of the Topping E30 II DAC. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $149. The single "SEL" button powers on the unit (touch sensitive) and selects input. Some combination of power cycling and that button lets you change menu settings but bets to...
  14. amirm

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

This is a review, detailed measurements and listening test of Topping L30 II. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $149. It comes in a number of colors. Usability could not be better with positive clicking switches for power/pre and gains. Three gains are provided with the low gain...
  15. amirm

Chord DAVE DAC Review (Video)

Follow up video review of CHORD DAVE stereo DAC: Nothing new if you have read the text review. But you get to have my emotional reactions thrown in. :)
  16. amirm

Shanling UA2 Review (portable headphone amp & dac)

This a quick review and measurements of the Shanling UA2. It was kindly drop shipped to me by a member and costs US $95. I previously tested one which due to owner preconfiguration, would not output much voltage. This is remedied in this new unit. Both balanced and unbalanced headphone...
  17. amirm

Chord DAVE Review (DAC & HP Amp)

This is a review, detailed measurements and listening tests of CHORD DAVE combination DAC and headphone amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $14,000. Having been frustrated with the user interface of lower end Chord products with their color Morse codes, I was really looking...
  18. amirm

dbx 1231 Graphic EQ Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the dbx 1231 stereo balanced Graphic Equalizer. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $499. Isn't this an attractive box or what? Makes you want to sit there and just play with all those sliders! Careful though as setting them all back to...
  19. amirm

History of "Ohm's Law"

I can't think of a more fundamental formula or concept that Ohm's Law when it comes to electronics. It directly relates Voltage to Current and Impedance/resistance. Simple but so powerful. I had no idea though how it had come about and the fact that it was dismissed for a long time as being...
Top Bottom