Search results

1. W

UWAYKEY: Can an $18 Amplifier Be Any Good?

"Can an $18 amplifier be any good"? Not unless it costs $1000. But seriously, how many years before the technology exists to make that high quality $18 amp?
  2. W

Belden ICONOCLAST XLR Cable Review

A friend of mine with very expensive system (think for starters D'Agastino amplification) best summarized what he "hears" as follows: Bits != bits. Of course, his computer would not work if bits in didn't equal bits out, but that "small" fact cannot be discussed because bits != bits in his...
  3. W

Balanced Multichannel Switch w/ Unbalanced Equipment (RCA -> XLR -> RCA)

Yeah, I thought you would like that! Luckily, a friend of mine repaired my HDS4.1 so I'm back in business with my switch. Good enough for now.
  4. W

@Kal Rubinson - Thought you'd be interested in this :). Just to briefly resurrect this thread, the Zektor MAS 7.1 has seen its ebay resale value skyrocket. I used to see these sell for around $150. Now???? The last two have sold for approx. $350 to 400$!!!
  5. W

Well, 2 months later and after looking for a while, the Zektors are really the best option for me, so cheap or not if you want to clean out your closet ... :) Unfortunately, I missed out on the one Zektor Mas7.1 and a HDS4.1 that came up for auction over past 2 months. The Colemans are...
  6. W

Marantz AV8805A Review (AV Processor)

I do agree that when listening to movies / TV multichannel material, most of these systems can end up sounding very similar, regardless of specs. In many cases it comes down to Audyssey and that calibration (and I've had some bad calibrations here and there). That Emotiva RMC-1 had all kinds...
  7. W

DB25 Data Switch Box w/Audio

For switching multichannel audio. I don't want to cobble together multiple boxes. DB25 is common in pro-audio equipment. It can carry 8 channels of balanced audio. There are (much) more expensive DB25 switches available, and I am sure they are manufactured to higher standards. But that does...
  8. W

Marantz AV8805A Review (AV Processor)

This site helps to make an informed buying decision with great information but other than people on this site, what percent of AVR buyers care about SINAD or the DAC's filter? Features (i.e. can it play Napster ?) , how the product looks, and "will it work" with my speakers" and TV are the...
  9. W

DB25 Data Switch Box w/Audio

Just curious if anyone has tried one of these type data switches with multichannel audio? Amazon.com: KENTEK DB25 4 Way Manual Data Switch Box RS-232 Parallel Serial D-Sub 25 Pin Female I/O ABCD Port for PC MAC to Peripherals Devices Printer Modem : Electronics
  10. W

Wouldn't expect anything else as they are hard to come by. Perhaps an interesting trade :)? But seriously, I am really thinking about just picking up one of these Colemans. Today I need only unbalanced, but down the road who knows. One thing I would miss with the Coleman switches is the...
  11. W

I was looking primarily at that Coleman 5.1 with the TRS connections, but I would love to purchase a Zektor. I have (had) an hds4.1, which was fantastic, but it finally gave out (unfortunately, it was not the power supply). I've been looking for a Zektor on Ebay, but closest I've seen...
  12. W

Each input is mono. And I was thinking that I could just use a TS / RCA mono cable, because nothing is balanced and the ring is not necessary to be connected in the switch.
  13. W

Ok, I know this is a bit strange, but was wondering .... Multichannel switches are difficult if not impossible to come by, but there are a few of them available in the balanced audio world. So, what happens with that balanced switch if you use it for switching a system consisting of solely...
  14. W

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

If these had s/pdif input they would be perfect paired with the miniDSP U-DIO8 for multichannel. Hopefully another iteration, similar to these could be released with input instead of output.
  15. W

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

Does Windows 10 require driver install for this DAC?
  16. W

Amplifier Connected Directly to Dac and Volume Levels

Not sure how I missed that.... With this setup, what is approximate range of s88's gain control that works for you? Thanks
  17. W

DACs compare: AV7706 vs CX-A5200 vs Oppo BD-105D

Interestingly enough the FL/FR xlr for CX-a5200 measure poorly see Yamaha AVENTAGE 5200 Series 11CH Processor/Amplifier Review | Audioholics
  18. W

Interesting, and I am a bit surprised. I thought connected directly to amp, the S88 or Okto would be ok on their own.
  19. W

My Exasound is unbalanced and that seems to make a big difference when mated with the low gain of the Benchmark. I have a feeling it would do much better with a higher gain amp (or if benchmark was bridged as suggested by Kal). That all makes sense. I did see the specs noting the higher gain...
  20. W

For my current setup, I have to agree. It's just not worth it. And thanks to everyone who replied. Every post was very helpful.
Top Bottom