Search results

1. crinacle

Moondrop Chu

Since we're on ASR; for those looking for strict Harman they do come reasonably close: But yes, a little extra EQ would get it right on target (high frequencies untouched for obvious reasons):
  2. crinacle

Apple AirPods Max Review (Noise Cancelling Headphone)

Hey, so coming in to clarify some stuff on request: yes, I use the 43AG-7 which is basically the single channel version of what Amir and oratory1990 uses, but the components are all the same (RA040X coupler, KB500X pinna). The difference between other 43AG users and I is that I've actually built...
  3. crinacle

Recommendation request thread

That's odd, one of the updates I made rolled back the changes I've been to the target functionality of the headphone tool. I've updated the files and forced some cache refreshes, try hard refreshing (Ctrl + F5) and let me know if it works.
  4. crinacle

Recommendation request thread

To clarify: no, you do not. The target curves for "IEF Neutral" and the latest Harman curves (Harman AE/OE 2018 and Harman IE 2019v2) are all available on the free tools.
  5. crinacle

Sennheiser HD 598 SE* Review (headphone)

That's a weird strawman to put up. The problems being highlighted now isn't fixture and protocols, but rather pad differences. Especially considering that Oratory1990 uses the same fixture as you.
  6. crinacle

Sennheiser HD 598 SE* Review (headphone)

Amir, the problem here is that the HD598 (SE or otherwise, the differences are just in colour) comes with, and were tuned with, velour pads. It's no longer "out of the box tuning" once the pads have been changed, especially a change as radical as going from velour to p/leather. Not saying...
  7. crinacle

Panasonic RP-TCM125 Review (Budget IEM)

I could, but honestly the FR looks mediocre and not worth the hassle. Hell, the THD characteristics don't seem particuarly excellent within the realm of dynamic drivers; I doubt these would outperform the Samsung EO-IG955 (AKA "those freebie Samsung earbuds") which is my benchmark for...
  8. crinacle

Sennheiser HD600 Review (Headphone)

Full six-sample reading for transparency: I repeat again that this is six placements per headphone, 3 per channel. I don't think I'm picking up random error, at least for the units that I have measured.
  9. crinacle

Sennheiser HD600 Review (Headphone)

RE: HD600 vs HD650, I got a slightly different result. Do note that in this comparison I've managed to measure brand new 2020 versions of both the HD600 and HD650 ("2020 versions" being that the granite countertop aethestic of the older HD600s are done away) as well as fresh pads. (3 samples...
  10. crinacle

Hifiman Ananda Review (headphone)

Worn versus fresh HD6X0 pads (measurements and analysis here)
  11. crinacle

An extra data point for the effects of broken/suboptimal seal on a Hifiman planar: Notes: THD values in the legend of the first two graphs are at 30Hz. The headphone used in this example is the Hifiman HE1000 V2, both measurements of sealed and decoupled are also in my database for those...
  12. crinacle

My point was more about under 30Hz being insignificant rather than the entire range of 20-40 being so. I do agree that 30-40Hz is absolutely crucial (at least for speakers, I've never been very satisfied with any headphone in this regard) but once you go below 30 that's where the missing...
  13. crinacle

Throwing my hat into the ring to say that getting a proper seal on most Hifiman headphones is pretty easy and I don't hear any sub-bass roll-off. @amirm might have some issues with his placement methodology and this isn't the first time our data disagreed with each other with regards to seal...
  14. crinacle

Oratory1990 has REMEASURED a load of headphones and updated his pdf's

Headphones in general are very sensitive to placement variation. I can get a very wide margin of error due to a variety of reasons that include but are not limited to: Location of placement (nobody can get the placement dead-centre of the centre of the driver every single time) Clamp force...
  15. crinacle

What headphones would you like Amir to measure next?

Sorry, I've made some post-publish edits on my post. Do take a look.
  16. crinacle

What headphones would you like Amir to measure next?

My rig is compatible with Harman AE/OE 2018. I believe Harman switched to the "Hi-Res" couplers for that target. A few explanations for the reason why the EQ may not have worked well for your particular set of headphones: Unit variation. Always a thing, you never know how your set could differ...
  17. crinacle

Headphone measurements

Yes, the ranking lists are based on subjective impressions. It's basically my personal opinion on what headphones are good and bad according to my experience so I don't claim any sort of perfect objectivity. For those who don't care, there's the measurements database. Rtings "rates" according...
  18. crinacle

Audeze LCD-X Over Ear Open Back Headphone Review

I think a good middle ground would be to use the Harman Target but without the bass shelf; after all even in Harman's research there were large differences in bass emphasis preferences amongst respondents. So whether or not one prefers no emphasis, 3dB emphasis or the full-fat 6dB, that would...
  19. crinacle

Audeze LCD-X Over Ear Open Back Headphone Review

RAA is probably the worst database out there. They have zero information on their proprietary "HDM-X" system (which looks to be a DIY rig) and the unit-to-unit consistency seems to be near-unreadable. The general rule of thumb is this: if the database doesn't publish their methodology...
Top Bottom