Search results

1. Ultrasonic

Powered monitors without AD conversion

Well, any errors introduced in an initial DAC step won't be recovered later on so performance isn't irrelevant. Better to send a digital signal to the monitor if possible though.
  2. Ultrasonic

Subwoofers make all big speakers obsolete?

As far as I'm aware there is no reason that exactly the same can't be achieved using subwoofers, with their various advantages over larger main speakers.
  3. Ultrasonic

Subwoofers make all big speakers obsolete?

What specifically are you basing this claim on? I and many others here would disagree with this...
  4. Ultrasonic

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

I'm not sure it's actually possible for you to cancel your order even if you wanted to. I think all the Bluesound Node has is basic tone controls though? If so it's not remotely in the same league when it comes to managing bass room resonances.
  5. Ultrasonic

To add to what @mdsimon2 said, the SHD has a 4 channel DAC. You're thinking of the SHD Studio, which is digital only (but quite a bit cheaper).
  6. Ultrasonic

This thread is about the Flex so I was referring to its manual, and specifically in the context of Dirac Live. You can get digital clipping with a 2x4 HD as well though, it just comes down to the input signals and filters used. There is no automatic headroom introduced by miniDSPs, which is good...
  7. Ultrasonic

I just checked and it does - at the bottom of page 76.
  8. Ultrasonic

There is no 'analogue part' - it's a purely digital volume control. People do complain of digital clipping being an issue on other miniDSPs if the volume is left at 0 dB. I bet the Flex manual includes a warning about this.
  9. Ultrasonic

It's a digital volume control so you can easily leave it at a fixed value but the 0 dB suggestion above may be too high if filter boosts are applied as this could cause digital clipping. The cheaper 2x4 HD and DDRC-24 models don't have a volume control knob if that was part of the issue, but...
  10. Ultrasonic

You'd set a fixed volume but you may want it to be -10 dB rather than max. to provide headroom for EQ boosts applied by Dirac Live.
  11. Ultrasonic

If you really can't wait to buy something then miniDSP have the older 2x4 HD model in stock and may be suitable depending what you have in mind.
  12. Ultrasonic

Help Me Decide: MiniDSP SHD or Computer+DAC?

Have you logged into Spotify on your SHD?
  13. Ultrasonic

I know nothing about Linux support but for info. with the SHD it's possible to see the USB return signal using REW and setting the SHD as an input device as well as an output. On the miniDSP forum I've seen someone posting about having done the same with a Flex.
  14. Ultrasonic

The question is about the USB output though. @mike70 has restated the real question here. (I think the answer is yes but it would be good if someone could actually confirm this.)
  15. Ultrasonic

The question was about using a 'phono preamp' which to me implies one that carries out the RIAA filtering.
  16. Ultrasonic

I would buy the analogue version but two DACs would work perfectly fine, and someone may have a higher quality DAC they specifically want to use for their main speakers and a cheaper one for their sub(s). Latency differences between the two DACs would be irrelevant, as they just add in to the...
  17. Ultrasonic

It would be logical to use the digital Flex to adjust volume just as with the analogue models. Note that this is essential if more than two independent outputs of the Flex are being used for subwoofer integration.
  18. Ultrasonic

You can't be certain of getting one in a month, but I hope you do :).
  19. Ultrasonic

I trust you realise they're out of stock currently?
  20. Ultrasonic

Smaller isn't necessarily an advantage. On pure aesthetics I'd rather have my SHD over a Flex, although depending on where someone may want to put a piece of equipment the size of the Flex may well become an advantage. An SHD is still the superior product, going by connectivity (unless...
Top Bottom