Search results

1. R

Yamaha NS-6490 improvement project

While I try to digest all (or even some) of what is REW, I plan to install the crossovers at the bottom of the cabinet. It's easier to just submit to gravity right off, and go with it, rather than attempt to secure the crossovers on the back inside wall of the cab. Q: Can I just stuff the cabs...
  2. R

Ugh - I had to pay $8 for the app on my iPhone. But maybe it'll come in handy someday for... well, something. I've got all kinds of cables, so that shouldn't be a problem. What wattage resistor? One of those ceramic 10w ones?
  3. R

What's the speaker of your dreams?

Yes, I've spoken to Huw several times over the years. According to the seller, Huw did the work on the A500s I had. But as he stated, he can't possibly keep track of every person who wants a particular pair of speakers ;-)
  4. R

Yes, all music equipment. PreSonus Audiobox USB (2 input), AKG Perception 200 condenser, EV N/D767a, Shure SM58 and SM57, Sennheiser 609 Silver. Downloaded that app. What about a frequency generator app? There are many available in the App Store.
  5. R

Thanks! Yours are the only really helpful comments, and I appreciate them. Yes, I have an iPhone 11XR, microphones, an interface to convert their analog output to digital, and a laptop.
  6. R

What's the speaker of your dreams?

I once owned a pair of EPI A500 speakers. They had been refoamed or reconed - don't remember what the seller said exactly. But they sounded amazing! Had to sell them when I retired and downsized. I'd love to have another pair. Anyone know where I can find some?
  7. R

No. A modest investment. The crossovers are $25 for both. I'm looking for thin rockwool batting now but thinking no more than $25. I don't have any fancy audio measuring equipment. This is a mostly shooting from the hip, and listening with the ears project.
  8. R

Yamaha NS-6490 improvement project thread from https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/yamaha-ns-6490-3-way-budget-speaker-review.17042/page-5#post-1227222 I was asked to move this discussion to the DIY but the thread contains background info. Please read it and listen to the...
  9. R

Yamaha NS-6490 3-way Budget Speaker Review

One more post and 2 photos then I'll head over there and research other sources of info. The woofers don't look too bad. Large 3.5" voice coil and magnet.
  10. R

I thought so - thanks! Again, just spitballing here. Appreciate your helpful comments.
  11. R

And the purpose of large low-resistance high-wattage ceramics ? Again, I'm thinking power soak.
  12. R

Also I have to believe that those large resistors, especially in parallel (as show in the YouTuber's crossover) are to soak up some of that power and reduce the power to the drivers. Does that differentiate these crossovers from a "passive" crossover network? Just curious...
  13. R

Yes to the question about Yamaha's factory crossover specs. Yes, those are the frequencies of the crossovers I'm looking at. I'm not worried about the power right now. I almost never push my speakers hard, especially if I'm unsure how much overhead I have. Yamaha specs state these loudspeakers...
  14. R

I know a little about driver frequency response. That's why I'm asking. Twice now I've mentioned the specific crossover frequency values of both the factory Yamahas and the crossovers I'm thinking of installing. Did you actually listen? Why are you afraid I'll come back and say "my speaker is...
  15. R

Again, another attempt to discourage me instead of addressing my questions directly. I don't use an equalizer. And I'm not an audio engineer, ok? I just want to improve the sound as much as possible on what I consider a very modest investment of inexpensive crossovers and some baffeling. Anyway...
  16. R

I joined this group in the hopes that I might find some help improving these speakers. I have no doubt that there are better (and more expensive) speakers out there. But these are what I have, and what I want to improve. I've seen a lot of charts and graphs, but no one seems to be able to tell...
  17. R

Installing new drivers in these bare-bones boxes? I might as well buy or build new speakers.
  18. R

I know this is an old thread but I've had a set of these cheap speakers for almost 3 years and I'd like to improve them as much as possible without replacing the drivers. I plan to install a "real" crossover then pack 'em with... something to reduce the resonance. Can anyone tell me if these...
Top Bottom