Search results for query: Class d

1. DonH56

Audiophiles, generally don't like class D amps!

...("I") amps. I have not tried to keep up, but AFAIK class I is not formally recognized by any standards body. It is essentially an interleaved class D scheme that allows lower switching frequencies on individual channels that when combined create an output with a higher effective switching...
  2. DonH56

Yup, all those uneducated people like A.H. Reeves and all the folk at the IEEE, IRE, and so forth who defined the amplifier classes must be wrong. The pulse width depends upon the input signal, a continuous variation, so is not digitized (i.e. not digital). Amplitude is continuous after the...
  3. DonH56

Let's stop calling Class D amplifiers "efficient" when they are not.

...clarified that I was not surprised that it was, but was just looking at the John's first post. Specsmanship is as much a part of marketing class D as anything else. Most components do not provide a chart show how efficiency varies with power, from which many folk might realize their class D...
  4. DonH56

...Crown's class I and TriPath's class T are not part of any standards AFAIK (but not something I follow closely) but rather are variations of class D (using interleaved switches and such). I do not see classes E or F used in audio; they are narrow-band tuned topologies used for RF/mW circuits...
  5. DonH56

Class D amp long term reliability

Around here a vertical hole is a mine shaft. In the midwest, it's a well. Don't know if either is significantly better or worse on average than a class D amp for reliability. Crawling back into my cave now - Don
  6. DonH56

...always specified at full rated output power, for all classes. And they all go to 0 % efficient with no signal output. At full power, class D is much more efficient than class A or AB designs, and better than all the class G or H designs I have seen though the better G/H designs do pretty darn...
  7. DonH56

...exceeding even class B by perhaps 25 W, so at higher power levels is clearly more efficient. But, at low power levels likely in most systems, class D does not offer a lot of benefit efficiency-wise IMO. All system- and listener (volume)-dependent, as usual. It does mean less heat-sinking and...
  8. DonH56

...low-power applications; I do not know (literally) if there are any audio power amps using switched (G) or tracking (H) power rails and a class D core. Keeping high performance and stability whilst adjusting the rails of a class-D amp gets tricky, but with enough gain-bandwidth and feedback I...
  9. DonH56

Benchmark AHB2 Review (Updated Measurements)

End-game for me is the last and probably best I will be able to afford after retirement and before death. Yes, it's all about the feet, that's all I care about...
  10. DonH56

...like that, as well as one that modulated a light source for short-range point-to-point communications (no RF to detect). Wouldn't call it class D, but could get pretty efficient. Class E and F are RF-only as well AFAIK. My experience was often the opposite but depends on the application...
  11. DonH56

Modern Multi-Bit DAC vs Delta Sigma, specifically AKM's newest flagship, but also others

That is before the final anti-imaging and noise-rejection filters. You cannot draw conclusions from that, any more than you could draw conclusions from looking at the raw unfiltered output of the modulator, or the output of a class-D amplifier before the output filter. Edit: @KSTR was faster on...
  12. DonH56

Amplifier peak power, class D vs class A/B

Class of amplifier does not matter for this. What matters is the amount of power you are using to drive the speakers, not the max continuous and peak power rating of the amps. Then you have to decide how long your "dynamics" last and at what level. A single, short (say <20 ms since that's the...
  13. DonH56

Looks like Class D is the only option for ultra clean, high power amplification

Self-oscillating class D enables higher feedback than (most?) conventional designs and thus achieve lower distortion figures. Benchmark uses a (THX-licensed) feedforward correction circuit to achieve similar high performance in a class-G design. There are plenty of amplifiers of various classes...
  14. DonH56

Why aren't amplifiers designed for peak power?

I can only speak for myself and my class D designs (mostly non-audio). Class D creates essentially a pulse-width modulated (PWM) output waveform so you are varying pulse widths to determine the output amplitude, switching between two fixed (and hopefully stable) signal (power supply) levels. See...
  15. DonH56

Is GaN worth it? ICEpower article

At low amplitude the benefits will be there. Class D is (except for certain special fancy designs) always switching, so at idle and low levels is mostly bouncing between say +V and -V equally. As the signal gets larger, more time is spent at the top and bottom rails, as pulse width increases to...
  16. DonH56

NC252MP (class D) vs. A250W4R (classAB) burst measurements into 4ohm//2.2uF load

Yup. And the early Infinity (?) Servo-Statik class-D amplifier IIRC, and maybe a Stax amp? Been a long time... I do remember expecting one of those ultra-wideband HK amps to self-destruct, but it actually passed with flying colors. I thought SWTP had some cool stuff, but as time went on learned...
  17. DonH56

Class A/AB vs D -- Is it Audible in 2021?

...headroom for your system should always be a consideration. Determining your maximum power needs should help drive your choice of amplifier. Class D amplifiers typically have regulated supplies. Modulating the power rail can cause distortion, but historically regulation has been very...
  18. DonH56

Emotiva XPA HC-1 Amplifier Review

...in a class G or H audio amplifier design is usually a class AB circuit IME but could be class A or whatever. Changing the rails on a class D design I have done and read about but, at least years ago when I did it, things got messy (I'll leave it at that) so it was better to live with the...
  19. DonH56

Variable impedance - what's the audible impact

Every amplifier has some degree of load dependence. I assume this is related to Pavel's experiments highlighting various class-D amplifiers under certain load conditions. That is not a debate likely to be resolved here.
Top Bottom