Search results

1. F

New flat, new speakers... and new to REW - help request

Looks nice for an untreated room and current responce. Below 200 Hz usualiy room responce is a mess. I'd use bigger sealed sub for low bass just for safety if you need something below 30 Hz without distortion.
  2. F

500.000 for a set of horn speakers?

Low quantity, good materials, high margin to keep designer in company ... Nothing extreme, but result is not cheap. Good sounding set of horns without overprice is JBL 705/708 ...
  3. F

Can Audibility Differences Be Noticeable When Using A Broken Amp or A Poorly Measuring Amp for Subwoofer Duties

Amps that you've mentioned in question heavily distorted even frequency responce. It must be audible compared to good amplifier without any doubt. If your amp have flat FR and don't clip at your SPL, then you must expect decent subjective result. Maybe not good, but decent - it depends on...
  4. F

Musetec Audio (LKS Audio) MH-DA005 Review (DAC)

Such a shame ... they have invested a lot into components without measurable success. Maybe they need some AP unit or at least decent soundcard?
  5. F

Neumann KH420 Review (Studio Monitor)

I mentioned TRI-amp. So, 3 different and expensive amps through existing passive crossover was used to subjectively overplay standard amppack. Not single P1/P2. If everything is done right in active integrated speaker, there is no easy way to outperform it even with chip-amps. But people try...
  6. F

Exactly. And there is an opinion that just good measurements are not equal to ultimate sound quality. Gladly, I can't verify this, because my qualification is worse than measurement mic and I follow "better measurements" way. But if I'd have time, resources and competence, it would be nice to...
  7. F

It would be nice to get rid of all those "industrial" solutions like bunch of cheap op-amps and electrlytic caps in signal chain and compare results with stock. Maybe even exchange switched PSU to linear. If Neumann monitors are done like PSI (and I'm almost sure are), there are lot of...
  8. F

I doubt this very much. They have 7.1 bass management and flat FR "as is". Integrated DSP is more useful in smaller home studios that usually don't need such expensive monsters (or hi-fi). So, 750DSP definitely have its market share (bedroom production with 2.1) and bigger guys (almost) do...
  9. F

D7608-920010 for example. Cheap one. I'd say that KH750 is not a JL Audio at all and it will be more beneficial from DSP and lower GD than from some special subbass capability. If we accept that we are extremely insensitive to LF distortion, then it might be OK, but it looks like KH420 would...
  10. F

I think that KH420 will be significantly better in department of LF extension and proper comparison would need at least a good set of measurements of SCM50ASL. But maybe ATC is really will be better for studio duties for some people. This price level always needs personal evaluation.
  11. F

You need to check your use case and approximate if their capability is enough in midbass, for example. And to have consistent "speed of bass", I'd also try to find out sub with equal or better GD than fronts. Smaller SVS are not OK in this department. And "image size" thrown at you usually...
  12. F

Two reasons: 1) room interaction (like optimal placement for mains is not the same for LF source) 2) bass quality (GD of ports, IMD at high SPL, etc) Bryston offers 20Y warranty, but their activated system will be extremely expensive. All serious studio brands offer long service life of their...
  13. F

I need to add that production volume and options can significantly increase price without any benefits for some users. That's why I don't own a studio sub: they are too pricey for displacement they offer. Regarding mentioned speakers, it looks like D28 is just bad design. Putting BM165.1-like...
  14. F

What exactly have better price/performance ratio? I don't understand your point. IMO, price/performance ratio heavily depends on use case, needs and existing setup. For sure, some boutique speakers like D28 are suboptimal, even if we just look for test with measurements and compare them with...
  15. F

You are right in this case. I don't know the background of marketing these speakers as "studio monitors" without even offering them through pro channels, maybe for hi-fiers that need "studio vibe"? Anyway, I still beleive that making "big bookshelves" for home duties is not really justified from...
  16. F

"To plug or not to plug ... this is here the question" (vented mains integrated with sealed sub(s))

It was a mistake. In case of Reference 3 with 2 exchangable ports my opinion is the same: with proper filtration of input signal blocking the ports is useless.
  17. F

"To plug or not to plug ... this is here the question" (vented mains integrated with sealed sub(s))

Personally I see no reason to plug the port if you are already cut off LF from speaker with high order crossover. As we can see from Erin's measurements, port still contributes at frequencies higher than 80 Hz, and if we plug it, distortion at high SPL will rise. Port plugs is a kludge for...
  18. F

It's a studio monitor as advertised on official site. Compare it with HDI series, for example.
  19. F

Not only. Home speakers with such bass capability most probably will have a tower design, either with vertical woofers array, either like ATC tower series. I see no reasons to have such enclosure design at home unless you need a retro look. There are no consoles at home and "free" case volume...
Top Bottom