Search results

1. B

Audio Quality in Streaming media

It's a different topic from OP, but it's a more important one that all people involved in production should see. Unfortunately many of them still aren't aware of the loudness normalization that happens in streaming services and keep making heavily squashed music. Yeah, I agree. I think "top 40"...
  2. B

Ending the Windows Audio Quality Debate

It's possible, yes, I don't know much about VB-Audio Cable. What I used was Virtual Audio Cable (VAC), and I confirm that it produces a bit-perfect recording even at 192kHz. I believe @edechamps when he says that VAC simulates an audio driver properly, so that we can inspect what happens in...
  3. B

Audio Quality in Streaming media

I stopped watching at some point, because I didn't hear anything interesting and he exaggerates and speculates too much. Missing letters, fuzzy stairsteps... please. Look, I'm all for lossless music, but lossy at a decent rate is not that bad and it's not what's stopping most people from...
  4. B

Newbie here with PC questions

Sorry, but... not on this one. :) Everything I've seen so far indicates that shared mode is fine. At least if the signal doesn't exceed -0.14 dB to trigger the limiter, but even with that I'm not sure it's a significant difference. And if you don't resample or trigger the limiter, the shared...
  5. B

For the sake of completeness, here's a test which includes triggering the Windows limiter (both with and without 2x resampling). So I decided to use a loud track which hits 0dB FS many times. Such loud/clipping releases are unfortunately not rare... Download here: https://ufile.io/ty0pca74 (All...
  6. B

Newbie here with PC questions

Have you done any blind tests to confirm that the resampling is audible? Because from what I've seen it's probably not a significant problem. There's an audio example in this post.
  7. B

wav test?

RMAA can also generate and then analyze a test signal. They both have to be the same sample rate, though.
  8. B

Alright then. I just performed the loopback test with VAC. I played a 24bit file in foobar and recorded it in Reaper, using WASAPI shared mode and the VAC line input. The recording, once time aligned, is identical to the source file (100%, down to the last bit). I guess I can then confirm that...
  9. B

Do you know if dithering is used at that stage, before the stream is sent to hardware? I suspect it isn't, which would make WASAPI shared also bit-perfect at max volume, just like WASAPI exclusive (assuming, of course, that it doesn't trigger the limiter or involve other processing). It would be...
  10. B

It could be a foobar2000/Windows mixer getting stuck bug: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=119941.0 https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=119870.0 https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=121947.0
  11. B

I just checked now, recording the max volume out from foobar with the internal loopback, using WASAPI shared mode at the source file sample rate. After time alignment, the recording was 100% bit exact, identical to the original 24bit file. And I believe that's how it gets sent to hardware (but...
  12. B

foobar2000 in the default shared mode was definitely triggering the limiter last time I checked.
  13. B

To upsample or not...

Yes. If you send 44.1kHz to hardware and its DAC filter is suboptimal, it could result in some high frequency roll off, imaging, ringing, or a combination of these. And this could be audible, in theory, because it happens at around 20kHz. If you instead upsample the audio first in software, say...
  14. B

No takers, eh? Well, I did the same test with a RMAA signal, to get some numbers. But this time going from 44.1kHz to 48kHz and then back to 44.1kHz. I also wanted to test a single SRC pass, but RMAA needs the same SR on the input and output for the analysis. I used MPC-HC (which AFAIK uses...
  15. B

I made a test of Windows' SRC performance, download here: https://ufile.io/qnotd4kp Inside are two audio files: the original music clip and the two-times-resampled copy. The original file (48kHz) was played in MPC-HC (shared mode, non-exclusive), while Windows was set to 44.1kHz and recorded...
  16. B

Can someone give me a short answer about Tidal vs Spotify? I swear I can hear a difference but this forum got me confused.

As Jimbob said, there can be multiple factors at play... To be sure, you need to know that you have the same release/version of a song, perform careful level and time matching and then do a blind (ABX) test. If this stuff is important to you, use a service that always provides a lossless...
  17. B

Need help with finding a usb C to 3.5 jack dongle

Good to know. 35% is still significant, but it's not as bad as I thought. Do you happen to know if Android also limits the EU version the same way, requiring special software to "unlock" the full power? In fact, does this depend on the device at all, or is it a general (EU) Android limitation?
  18. B

Need help with finding a usb C to 3.5 jack dongle

If you get the Apple dongle, you need to find the US version (A2049). The EU version is significantly worse. But even the US version requires using special software on Android, to get the full power.
  19. B

ANTELOPE AUDIO ZEN GO SYNERGY CORE 4X8 USB-C AUDIO INTERFACE

I wasn't suggesting that it doesn't do anything. But the name "Computer Play" sounds like something that includes audio coming from the computer (DAW, media players...), rather than audio coming from everywhere, including the microphone. The manual also describes "Computer Play" as a category...
  20. B

ANTELOPE AUDIO ZEN GO SYNERGY CORE 4X8 USB-C AUDIO INTERFACE

Just to confirm: Let's say you're listening to the mic input directly, either on HP1 or HP2, without going through any software/DAW on the PC. Does the EQ that you set up for "Computer Play" apply to that or not?
Top Bottom