Search results

1. Z

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

There's already a loop, and it's external. Remove the external USB jumper, get an USB<>S/PDIF or USB<>AES/EBU thing and connect its USB to the RPI, the output to the DDRC22D, and its output to the DAC8. You can probably leave the jumper connected and just choose the new output device in Volumio...
  2. Z

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

DIY is the way to go, if your budget doesn't stretch beyond $10k. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/adding-post-dsp-spdif-outputs-to-avrs.19468/ A 1100$ low end Onkyo, a few of those I2S -> S/PDIF boards, a soldering iron and a steady hand my be all you need...
  3. Z

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

[,,,] A BSEE from decades ago may not be too helpful regarding the current code and/or best practice for residential electric installations. There's little to no protection from induced overvoltages e.g. by nearby lightning strikes or space weather - the transformer on the pole near your house...
  4. Z

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

I think you can have them plugged in, but you'd probably have to make sure only one is active (i.e. not just muted, there must not even be a clock signal)
  5. Z

Or ask Pavel to make a single input (or source routing presets) selectable via remote control. I've been looking for an AES/EBU switch, and given the price of these things, I'm tempted to just buy the BM option for my DDRC-88D and use that just to switch inputs.
  6. Z

You're probably referring to Canare BCJ-XP-TR[ABC], those are working beautifully for me. Have you tried connecting your TV to input 1? Are you sure that your TV is sending a PCM signal? Is there any signal on input 1 while you have the TV connected to input 2 (if so, they need to be...
  7. Z

I'd say there are plans, but the practical execution isn't there yet. It's probably not trivial to implement a firmware update process that can be safely recovered in case of failure, especially if the bootloader of the units out in the field does not yet provide such a mechanism, and there's no...
  8. Z

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

Pavel has replied to my email. Apparently, there's a bug in some firmware revisions that causes the AES/EBU out to transmit only zeroes. It'll be fixed in future firmware versions, and he says he'll "attempt to release an update for the existing units".
  9. Z

Emotiva XMC-2 Review (AV Processor)

Did they fix the problem even without replacing that board, or does your XMC still show the same symptoms?
  10. Z

That's well documented around here. Manufacturers who send devices for measurement get an opportunity to fix problems that crop up, If the device was privately bought by a forum member and sent to Amir, that's not the case.
  11. Z

Momentum Data Systems, their products are in a lot of "niche" AV products, like the Trinnov, Storm ISP, Bryston SP2 and SP3, Datasat, the Smyth Realiser etc.
  12. Z

My point is that neither Storm nor Trinnov have developed an AVP on their own from scratch. They both have skipped one of the really hard problems (Codecs and HDMI) by buying third party products. There's no shame in that, just that these aren't good examples that small companies can develop...
  13. Z

Both Storm and Trinnov use components from MDS that are essential for their AVPs - Storm uses MDS APM-* DSP boards for the Dolby/DTS/Auro decoding, Trinnov uses MDS HDMI boards (although they are apparently developing their own solution). Both still lack an on screen menu.
  14. Z

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

1.42 I seem to have no headphones at hand with the proper plug, and I've mislaid my 1/8" to 1/4" adapter, so I can't test that. Given that the XLR analog outs are working perfectly, I'd assume that the headphone out should too - AFAIK there's no separate DAC for the headphone, it's just a...
  15. Z

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

I have a problem getting a signal out of the AES out when playing a signal via USB (the plan is to connect a computer via DDRC88d to a pair of Genelec 8240). The signal is played on analog outputs 1&2, but as far as I can see, there's no valid signal at all on the AES output - my Workstation...
  16. Z

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

I don't think it's all that strange, since there's a risk that the DAC could get held up in customs of even destroyed if it comes with a power cord that doesn't follow the right regulations and/or isn't properly certified. It saves a small bit of shipping weight on top of that.
  17. Z

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

Monoprice have promised an HDMI 2.1 upgrade. However, since there's no HDMI 2.1 4:1 (or more) switch chipset on the market that supports full bandwidth and all HDMI 2.1 features, no date has been announce. I don't even think that Momentum Data Systems has announced the next generation of the...
  18. Z

JBL SDP-55 Audio/Video Processor Review

I was unable to find any references to that. Could you provide links? Thanks.
  19. Z

Anyone in US order directly from RME?

I believe duties should be 0%. Your state/local sales tax (or exise tax or whatever) should still apply. UI've looked that up for the Okto DAC, you should be able to run your own duty calculator simulation with the appropriate date and TARIC code...
  20. Z

help finding some active speakers with S/PDIF input

A "pair" of second hand Genelec 2029 would be in the desired price range - but that's actually a 2029 with a builtin 2 channel DAC, 1 analog out and a 1029 connected via its analog in.
Top Bottom