Search results for query: grass

1. amirm

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

That kind of spectrum is not going to happen in music. That is the reason I didn't run that test for the longest time. I am running it now only to make it easier to compare to Stereophile tests.
  2. amirm

Marantz Cinema 70s AVR Review

...as expressed in SINAD to be north of 100 dB but it was not meant to be. I did try Toslink to see if that is any better: The "grass" in the FFT noise floor improves but SINAD remains the same. Going with what we have, the 70s lands in not so good ranking: Sweeping the input levels shows...
  3. amirm

PS Audio DirectStream DAC Mk.2 measurements

That's correct. All those ups and downs in the noise floor average out, making the floor much smoother. This then allows the distortion spikes to be seen as they don't average out.
  4. amirm

Avantone CLA-10 (Yamaha NS-10M Clone) Review

...left with approximations for such things as headphone targets, speakers, etc. All the while, its sister product, video, has incredible standards and always has. If it were up to you, we would be looking at yellow grass thinking that is how the football game was shot and adjust our sets to that!
  5. amirm

Avantone CLA-10 (Yamaha NS-10M Clone) Review

Oh there was. You must not be old enough or remember the CRT TVs of the old. Pink would fill in for red and blue would green grass! Getting neutral skin color was impossible then. The capabilities of displays improved precisely because standards existed for what the picture should have been.
  6. amirm

Carver Raven 350 Review (Tube Amp)

...test: I don't know how anyone could hear more "detail" with such an amp where so much of the music signal will get lost in the distortion "grass." Frequency response should be flat but it is not: It naturally will have load dependency due to output impedance. Let's see the power...
  7. amirm

Luxman SQ-N150 Review (Tube Amplifier)

...which causes the two reference lines you see. Multitone which is supposed to resemble "music" with its 32 tone, shows strong level of "grass" (intermodulation distortion): Hard to make a case that you are hearing more detail when so much is masked at this power level. I don't have a 6 ohm...
  8. amirm

SMSL VMV D3 Review (R2R DAC)

Distortion is below noise floor of 16 bit audio which people listen to. So there is no way that is what they are hearing. If they were to hear it as what the multitone shows, it would simply destroy low level detail. It doesn't make it "fuller."
  9. amirm

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

...filter on the speaker terminals. Wonder if that is what is providing the roll off. Using 32 tones to simulate "music" we see a high level of "grass" which would obscure any low level detail: Notice how the worse performance is in low frequencies. There has been controversy regarding...
  10. amirm

Resolving Measurement Issues with SONCOZ SGD1 DAC

...if you want to see the full snapshot): Let's deal with a simple measurement thing: the FFT shown has no averaging. This causes all that "grass" at the bottom of the FFT. I suggest folks there use averaging of 3 to make it easier to see the spurious tones and more comparable to what I...
  11. amirm

Is Jay talking about Amir?

...varies and is completely frequency response dependent. Worse yet, the noise floor is high so the bottom of the graph where we see the nice "grass" in electronics is polluted big time as well. So the peaks are bad, the floor is bad, and the intermodulation inaccurate due to the first factor...
  12. amirm

Hifiman Ananda Headphone Review (video)

I don't think it much of an impact. If I ever get some time, I can experiment with some other headphone and see.
  13. amirm

E1DA 9038D Review (portable DAC & Amp)

...at threshold of best case audibility. The second harmonic where there is a difference between channels is at whopping -130 dB and lower. The grass noise is at -140 dB! And you all want me to keep messing to see if I can get lower numbers than these??? I have a ton of gear to test...
  14. amirm

E1DA 9038D Review (portable DAC & Amp)

...amount of noise in the analyzer and the dongle and you get down to 111 dB SINAD as shown. Yes, there is some low level noise but that is the "grass" well below the harmonics at -140 dB. No way is that our concern, nor is it shown to be the reason distortion is what it is. Also, as noted...
  15. amirm

Do Fancy Audio Cables Make a Difference? (video)

...though, you can get interactions of them with distortion products that are not harmonic. You can see this in multi-tone tests: All the "grass" (spikes) between the tall tones which is our source are distortions. Their overall level though matches what I measured with a single tone...
  16. amirm

MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

...of the dire predictions have come through. Instead my prediction that none of the major distributors would adopt MQA has. You can wait until grass grows to your chin. If there is no reality to your fears, nothing will happen no matter how long you wait. You can choose to listen to folks...
  17. amirm

Denon DA-500 Vintage R2R DAC Review

...capable so truncation should have been to 20 bits, not 16. That would have sharply lowered the impact above. The truncation creates the busy "grass" that you see in the FFT above. If I feed the DAC 16-bit data (without dither), it cleans up that spectrum (SINAD remains the same): The...
  18. amirm

Microphones for below threshold of Hearing

Cool demo from Grass on their very low noise microphone (G.R.A.S. 40HF ):
  19. amirm

Perceptual Effects of Room Reflections

...me of when we bought our first house with a lawn. I thought if a bit of fertilizer is good, a lot should be better! So dial the spreader way up and put in a nice layer of synthetic lawn fertilizer. Two days later all the grass died! Ditto for all those absorbers. It just doesn't sound good.
  20. amirm

Article: Understanding Digital Audio Measurements

...of distortion as seen in Figure 12. Figure 12: example of a DAC with high harmonic distortion. We often call what is between the main tones “grass.” As such the less grass between the tones, the better. Figure 13 shows an example of a a very well performing DAC. Figure 13: example of a...
Top Bottom