Search results

1. amirm

Photokina 2018: Sigma interview - 'There's no magic to it, we just try to be unique'

Very frank and honest answers. This caught my eye: Wonder if my current DSLR lens collection will be totally obsolete 10 years from now.
  2. amirm

Battle of Google Pixel Headphone Dongles

From the bit that is there, it is much better than the ones I measured here.
  3. amirm

Oh, seeing that review I realized I forgot to post the output impedance measurements! Here it is: As seen, the Google Pixel 2 has a 7.6 ohm output impedance which is much worse than V1 and VE dongles.
  4. amirm

MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

Some pro cards have loopback capabilities. That would be the best way to captured the decoded MQA so that we don't have to convert to and from analog.
  5. amirm

2L has the fully encoded file but of course if you don't decode the MQA layer, then you just have the base (in the clear) layer.
  6. amirm

Has the MQA one been decoded or is it in the base layer?
  7. amirm

Measurement and Review of JDS Labs USB OL DAC

Hi there. Welcome to the forum. I don't have anything beyond what I post. I suspect you are right though on IMD performance.
  8. amirm

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

Audiophonics folks were kind enough to reach out to me and are sending some samples. So I am good for now. Thanks anyway! :)
  9. amirm

MQA people did not create demand for high-res. The rest of the industry had done that prior. MQA provides one solution to that problem. Flac distribution is another. There are a ton of independent labels distributing high res content which they create themselves for example and sell at > CD...
  10. amirm

And potentially hand-tuned new masters created by MQA team. Some of the MQA content I have heard compared to non-MQA sound remarkably better, indicating better mastering.
  11. amirm

Streaming of > 16/44.1 kHz through Tidal in US.
  12. amirm

How about the fact that every DAC chip produced today supports higher than CD sample rate and bit depth? They are doing so in the interest of meeting market demand. The logic is added to chip, likely increasing its cost. They are also doing the same for DSD. Every operating system plays...
  13. amirm

No, i am not talking about that. I am focused on audio. I said that high-sample rate/bit depths were included in the BD spec to cater to people who want that. There, ironically Dolby TrueHD is used which is developed by Meridian/Bob Stuart's team ("MLP"). BDA did no testing to determine the...
  14. amirm

Review & Measurements of Allo DigiOne Signature and DIYINHK Pro3Z

Thanks for the offer. I have so much equipment to test in my backlog that unless there is strong interest, it is probably not worth shipping it back and forth. Testing these products is also a lot more time consuming since my Audio Precision can't control them....
  15. amirm

It might be but there is market demand for higher sample rate so tech companies rise up to support it. Blu-ray format for example supports high-res for that reason. MQA does that while retaining backward compatibility with in-the-clear PCM audio.
  16. amirm

These have a DAC and headphone amplifier in them (probably in the same chip). Hence the reason they get recognized as DACs on my Windows PC for testing. There are passive "analog" ones that pass through the sound from the phone. These are not that type.
  17. amirm

The old one is a bit longer on the USB side and has this gray dot on both sides of the connector: Here is where I found the above: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-USB-C-Digital-to-3-5-mm-Headphone-Adapter-Fits-Google-Pixel-2-XL-/263906261147
  18. amirm

You say that based on how many files encoded with identical originals?
  19. amirm

I don't have any other ones to test.
  20. amirm

This is not your old lossy format. When we dump everything above 16/44.1 Khz, we are performing perceptual, lossy compression. It is done with a sledgehammer of course, assuming we don't need better dynamic range or bandwidth. But it is done nevertheless. What MQA attempts to do is to code...
Top Bottom