Search results

1. M

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Do these Klipsch PowerGates have the grunt to stream hi-res 2ch music or Mch music at all? So far, I've found that wifi is really iffy for anything better than 2ch redbook.
  2. M

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

It could be, given the design of PC cases, MOBOs and sound/graphix cards, that one can't have all one wants in one case, it's just too damn tight! One might have to have a dedicated Video PC plus a separate dedicated Audio PC. Might it be feasible to put a nice big soundcard in a NAS box rather...
  3. M

@ snowsurfer How about a soundcard that has shielding like the one I have in one of my PCs a Xonar D2? Do you think that might be quieter for you in between your 2 graphix cards? If there was room?
  4. M

Review and Measurements of Topping NX4 DSD Dac and Portable Headphone Amplifier

I'm considering an NX4 to drive a pair of powered monitors (Adam A7X) My thinking is this battery powered DAC, with a battery powered phone / tablet as source, would be very quiet compared to mains electric. What do folks think ?
  5. M

I know! I wish people would just drop it, rather than continuing to chime in. I am willing to move all my 'banter' to an appropriate thread. No idea where that might be. In fact, I'm willing to delete it all. I have no wish to debate this at all: it's as bad as brexit arguements!
  6. M

Hello all from Spain

Well the excellent fast train between our 2 cities makes short shrift of the big distance we are apart. Just as well we are closer regarding the love of music
  7. M

I would rather not debate this issue at all. I would never say anything about it if I was not asked about it by people stressing their own belief system. People quote this half truths to me as if it was their bible, but this too has been discredited. Anything can be 'proven' by so called science...
  8. M

I think the problem here with this, is relying on instruments only to measure harmonic & sympathetic resonance, which is more difficult than using one's trained listening ears to hear how higher frequencies of music filter down in effect to the lower 'human hearing range.' However, to be polite...
  9. M

MWC said: audio energy above 20Khz can audibly effect how we hear within the 20Hz to 20kHz 'human hearing' range. daftcombo said, I am not a native english-speaker and I don't understand that sentence. Can someone explain it to me? :lol: that daftcombo seems to like baiting badgers. Doesn't...
  10. M

I generally agree with JohnYang1997. A good extra with the SU-8 is xlr balanced outs. Does that compensate for the slight mid range hump in distortion measurements of the ESS chips? In my shopping list of requirements XLR is quite important, and it slightly puts me off the otherwise promising...
  11. M

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

@Kiko1974 I have experience with ripping SACD to iso to DSF/PCM (about 1000). From what you have said here, I think you may not have a hardware problem, although I personally would not use s/pdif for any DSD, even DoP, rather better to use USB. An audible click, at album start, can be present...
  12. M

Review and Measurements of Topping NX4 DSD Dac and Portable Headphone Amplifier

@Viper Necklampy Thanks for your insight :) Here's hoping more of the Topping DACs tested here also have similar frequency responses. It was something I asked for clarity on, in other threads besides this one, and got nothing but abuse from a few members who I imagine (from their response) must...
  13. M

A bit about your host....

@Amir, I am seriously impressed with your credentials and back story as well as all the reviews I have, so far, read here. I don't have a technical background, I'm here because of my love of music and my search for the best I can afford for music playback equipment. I'm also retired, so I have...
  14. M

I'm no audio design engineer, not even a novice at it, but I have a keen interest and where I think I can understand the technicalities, I always like to learn. Thank you very much for all your input.
  15. M

@badyard, You've been feeling it too then? ;)
  16. M

Hello all from Spain

Hi Rigel, I'm new here too: well I've been silently reading Amir's great reviews for a long time, but just now started to speak up. I live in Spain as well as UK, so it's nice to hear of another music lover in the country: I'm near Valencia and you?
  17. M

Thank yu Yuno, that small correction makes all the difference. JohnYang1997 says: "Also when you know it's capable of 96khz/192khz/384khz you know of course it's going to reproduce more than 40khz." One would hope so John, but you know full well that there is a lot of bullshit in this...
  18. M

"....up to 40kHz" is not very scientific now is it? 15kHz is with that range, after all.
  19. M

I'll try something simple just to sum it up. Music has sympathetic resonances at certain intervals, such as per octave. Some music creates sound energy at high frequencies out of the human range of hearing (inaudible, but still there). These high frequencies have a perceptible, even measurable...
  20. M

@Yuno I think you will find that it has be scientifically proven that audio energy above 20Khz can audibly effect how we hear within the 20Hz to 20kHz 'human hearing' range. BUT I can't have a intelligent conversation with a closed mind. However I still respect you having a different opinion...
Top Bottom