Search results

1. Blumlein 88

Hearing 099

Will there be a video of the talk? Or at least an audio recording? I hope so, and hope it is available.
  2. Blumlein 88

Is Audio Science Review going about it all wrong? Or partly wrong? Or all right?

Had a teacher do something like this when in the 8th grade. She was a new teacher, and was showing us interesting things about thinking/memory she said. So she had a desk drawer with 26 items in it. She let each student go up and look until they thought they knew what was in it. Most looked...
  3. Blumlein 88

Is Audio Science Review going about it all wrong? Or partly wrong? Or all right?

Which also backs up the idea people can't make super fine discriminations of sound quality based upon listening done for several weeks under variable conditions.
  4. Blumlein 88

Wirecutter reviews USB audio interfaces

Earlier this year I posted files that were 8th generation copies vs the original file. I used a more expensive better performing ADC/DAC interface than these under review. However a couple years ago I did the same thing with the 2i2's big brother, the Focusrite 18i20. On a couple forums...
  5. Blumlein 88

What matters about SINAD measurements

If you get SINAD just short of clipping, it is probably mostly distortion. The A500 may be a little odd in that it might be as much power supply leakage as distortion. Generally though for most gear as you drop the level distortion goes down, both in absolute levels and in terms of percentage...
  6. Blumlein 88

Revel Performa 3 vs ML Electromotion ESL - comparative measurements

Yes this is what I had in mind. Distance from edges of the panel vary greatly vs center at any measuring point. Which will give uneven response vs a smaller cone speaker.
  7. Blumlein 88

Revel Performa 3 vs ML Electromotion ESL - comparative measurements

Well the only known and tested correlation between subjective sound quality and measurements is the Spin-o-rama data from Harman. I think we know who has the better end of that. Also, I've never liked ML hybrids as the woofers don't integrate well unless you use REQ or low end DSP. I never...
  8. Blumlein 88

Now in regards to really noticeable distortion, check out youtube. Look at some old movie clips from the 1950's or earlier. Many of those have audible distortion, despite all tube pathways, you'll hear treble with a shredding sound, and voice with some motorboating or other wrong modulation...
  9. Blumlein 88

So what about a tape emulator? https://theproaudiofiles.com/tape-machine-plugins/
  10. Blumlein 88

General debate thread about audio measurements

I'd say no. If someone can prove they can hear it, it would be interesting. But I don't think it rises to the level of audibility.
  11. Blumlein 88

250 hours and 5 day ‘settling in’!

I'm taking sides. What he has to say is useless. Worse he takes almost ten rambling minutes to say it. Does he have paper caps in use? Please, get information elsewhere. Well let me re-phrase that. Don't get his mis-information.
  12. Blumlein 88

CAV 50 I think it's the only CJ integrated tube unit.
  13. Blumlein 88

Is THD+N audible for sensitive IEMs at quiet volumes?

I don't really like THD+N. I like THD (done with a deep FFT) and then noise done separately. I understand why the THD+N is combined. And if a device has a good THD+N you know both noise and THD is good. Normally with the exception of the ESS IMD bump, as signal level drops so does...
  14. Blumlein 88

Is THD+N audible for sensitive IEMs at quiet volumes?

Thd+n is distortion plus noise. At lower levels noise is a bigger part of it. Actual distortion is likely going down. As noise spreads across the whole bandwidth you'll likely not notice it. So distortion is actually low at low levels.
  15. Blumlein 88

Removing static noise or minimising it from stuff ur listening to?

Are you using the Atom on low gain? The D30 probably doesn't need any gain just buffering from the headphones.
  16. Blumlein 88

Removing static noise or minimising it from stuff ur listening to?

Probably need to know more about your system. What speakers, what amps etc. And are we talking very low level barely heard hiss or static or something more significant.
  17. Blumlein 88

I'm not the person who posted about the DBTs with C-J amps, but I've owned a few of the C-J amps. I don't know which you have. C-J's tubed products typically quoted FR at 1 watt 20hz-20khz. Then power bandwidth would be quoted from 30hz-15 khz at something like 1 % THD. At lower and upper...
  18. Blumlein 88

So set the multimeter to Volts ac. Connect black lead to the black post, and red lead to the red post on the speaker terminals on back of the speaker as shown below. You need not disconnect anything. You can probably put it right into the middle of the terminal going by this picture. You'll...
  19. Blumlein 88

He did put in series resistance. I recall him describing a couple other changes as well. One was to reduce the effectiveness of the power supply at low frequencies, because the reference CJ performed less well than his amp. Even after he added series resistance which would have altered...
  20. Blumlein 88

Depends upon the particulars. Person A goes into the listening room, compares two things with no volume matching, makes notes about perceived differences. Notes one item has more bass and bigger soundstage. Person B goes into listening room does the same thing and leaves notes describing the...
Top Bottom