Search results

1. Jas0_0

*SOLD* RME ADI-2 Pro FS · DAC/AD converter · Headphone amp · USB audio interface · DSP · Excellent · Boxed

This is the same spec as the RME ADI-2 DAC FS as reviewed/loved by amir, but with an added AD converter, and an extra DAC chip, giving 4 analogue outs, allowing it to be used as a controller (with DSP on every channel) for 2-way active speakers, or speakers and a sub. Works perfectly. Updated...
  2. Jas0_0

Genelec 8040 vs 8020 with sub

Hi all, I own a pair of Genelec 8040, and I love them. However I get little below about 35Hz in my 4m l, 3.6m w, 3m h room. I was thinking of switching to 8020s (which would probably also earn me domestic brownie points) and adding a small sub - something like the new SVS SB3000 Micro. I’d...
  3. Jas0_0

Should I sell my vinyl rig?

This question is less technical and more... philosophical? So apologies if it offends. I'm asking here because I think ASR leans away from vinyl being a good way to listen to music, so I'm hoping I'll get from you good, rational reasons to counter my slightly misty eyed ones. The facts: I...
  4. Jas0_0

Tidal via microRendu without buying additional software, for my dad's system?

Hi there, I think Amir's measurements mean the Sonore microRendu isn't the best respected component here, but thanks to the amazing generosity of an ASR member, I have recently acquired one, and I plan to give it to my father - along with a Topping DAC and a Tidal subscription - to add...
  5. Jas0_0

Connecting iOS Lightning to USB-B DAC

Hi all, This is a really basic question, and apologies, I'm sure it must have been asked before, though I couldn't find an answer. Is it possible to connect an iPhone to a USB-B DAC using a single cable? I've seen Lightning to USB-B MIDI cables advertised - would one of these work...
  6. Jas0_0

Should I delete all my hi res (>44.1khz) files?

They’re huge, take up lots of disk space, don’t play on some of my devices and apparently some might even sound worse than CD-quality files. I couldn’t honestly say I can hear a difference but kept them “just in case”. Should I just resample to 44.1 and then get rid of the 96/192 versions...
  7. Jas0_0

Grounding

Hi everyone, Thanks in no small part to advice here, I am now set up with digital RIAA. The rig is sounding excellent and far quieter than with analogue RIAA, but I’m wondering if it could be better. I am noticing a pronounced hum if I turn up the volume with no music playing. An analyser...
  8. Jas0_0

DAC with DSP for FIR filters?

Hi all, I am setting up a system in my kitchen. I plan to keep it as simple as possible. iPad > DAC > small Genelecs. I would like to add DSP to the chain, using FIR filters generated by Audiolense. So far I can’t see a way to do system-wide audio capture and convolution on the iPad (if...
  9. Jas0_0

Acoustic Panels - Rockwool Absorption Coefficients

Hi everyone, This may already be common knowledge, but Rockwool sent me this data on their insulation products. Thought it might be useful to post here for anyone making DIY room treatments. J
  10. Jas0_0

GLM vs Dirac for phase/timing corrections in 2.0 setup

Hi all, I am looking to move beyond simple REW/PEQ frequency-domain corrections to my system. I use two-way active monitors and have no intention of adding subs. I’ve been playing with the Dirac trial and the results achieved in minutes are far better than with the many (many) hours I’ve...
  11. Jas0_0

Left = flattish. Right = flattish. Both = a mess

Hi all, Today I've been trying to EQ my system using a UMIK, REW and Fabfilter Pro Q3. The 'after' plots are posted below. I've measured and EQed each channel separately for a reasonably flat response (plan is to add a tilt from low to high frequencies later). Left is admittedly better than...
  12. Jas0_0

Cartridge/arm resonance - how far from 10Hz is too far?

Hi all, Me again - thanks everyone for their help with my previous questions. I'm narrowing down my MC cartridge options for use with Linn Basik LVX arm (effective mass 12g). Current top three are: Audio Technica AT33PTG/II Dynavector DV-20X2 L Benz MicroAce SL I'm leaning towards the...
  13. Jas0_0

Arm cable RCAs into mic pre XLRs

Hi all, I've decided to replace my MM cartridge with an MC and replace my noisy phono pre with a clean, high impedance ribbon mic pre and do RIAA eq digitally. The mic pre has balanced XLR inputs, while the arm cable currently has single ended RCAs and a ground wire. Ahead of converting the...
  14. Jas0_0

Uncoloured phono cartridges

Hi all, Once you've found the correct compliance, weight and output for your system, without the help of further measurements it's hard to choose create a phono cartridge shortlist without resorting to subjective reviews. Opinions elsewhere suggest for example that Hana is 'smooth', Denon is...
  15. Jas0_0

Linn Basik LVX and an MC cart?

Hi all, I wonder if you can help. I want to improve the sound of my LP12 and feel transducer upgrades always seem to offer the biggest leaps. I currently run an MM cart, and would like to try MC. Though I've read several competing opinions elsewhere on whether my Linn Basik LVX tonearm is...
  16. Jas0_0

Distortion products are fish

I hope I’m not misreading something, or exposing a lack of experience here, but I couldn’t help but smile when I saw this Stereophile review: https://www.stereophile.com/content/lkv-veros-pwr-power-amplifier As far as I can tell, it’s a power amp that takes two perfectly good Purifi 1ET400A...
  17. Jas0_0

rePhase with software DSP?

Hi all, I have a persistent null around the crossover frequency of my active speakers and I wondered if it’s a phase issue. I’d like to try rePhase to address it, but I apply DSP in software (Audiohijack/Audirvana and Audio Units plugins). Does anyone know of an Audio Units convolver plugin...
  18. Jas0_0

iOS app that combines Tidal and local music?

Hi there, Does anyone know of an app that combines music stored locally on an iPhone with music from Tidal - a sort of Audirvana for iOS? I’d like to make playlists combining my own mp3s and lossless files with tracks from Tidal without having to switch between two apps - is there something...
  19. Jas0_0

Possible myth bust? Signal/power cable interactions

Apologies if this has already been done and I've missed it. Cable manufacturers make much of their insulators, and audio magazines and forums make much of keeping signal and power cables separate - if cables must cross, they should only do so at right angles. On one forum, a guy swore by...
  20. Jas0_0

ATC - replace or DIY project?

Ok... so in February I bought some ATC active monitors. Yes, yes, I saw Amir’s review of the SCM19s. You can stop sniggering. Mine are hybrids with the cabinet and drivers of the SCM20ASL mk 1 and the amp packs of the T16. They were club DJ monitor speakers, so they’re well used, and I got...
Top Bottom