Search results

1. Lttlwing16

Ground loop issues from computer audio

What's even stranger is the PC is dual boot with Windows 10 and Manjaro Linux. I don't get nearly the same amount of GPU coil whine while booted into Manjaro Linux...probably a driver issue. Either way, with the SE pass through from the 789 unplugged from the mixer, the PC noise is now not...
  2. Lttlwing16

Thanks for the tips.. what's interesting is I recently totally disassembled the GPU to deep clean, repaste and repad, as I had purchased the GPU used from FB marketplace. After all that is when I started to notice the coil whine from the GPU! SMH!
  3. Lttlwing16

Thanks for the tip. I'm 100% positive it's coming from the PC as the noise is identical to the audible noise the GPU is making outside the PC. My cording behind the desk is a total wreck and something I've known needed some tending to. I'm going to replace the PSU on the PC this weekend to see...
  4. Lttlwing16

Sorry man, I actually have both. Toslink>Cheap DAC>RCA input on the MW12 COAX>SDAC>XLR OUT>HEADPHONE AMP I use the Toslink connection for gaming and videos from the mackie's, and the coax for the headphones. The SDAC is actually USB powered from a SECOND adjacent PC tower, that remains off...
  5. Lttlwing16

Thanks @Berwhale and @Lambda and everyone else. And sorry for not providing diagrams. My setup is pretty complex, and I wanted to trouble shoot before I drew it up. That said, I was able to isolate the issue and reproduce. The THX 789 has a SE pass-through and I had this connected to an RCA...
  6. Lttlwing16

Thanks for the reply and input. The culprit PC is not connected to the SDAC or 789 by USB. Would this matter? The culprit PC is connected to the SDAC via Coaxial output from the onboard soundcard. I plan on unplugging everything this evening and trying to systematically rule out different...
  7. Lttlwing16

I'm picking up PC noise through the SE input on my THX 789 Headphone amp. I was gifted a gaming PC and since introducing it has been a PITA for noise. This is heterogenous electrical noise which changes depending on what's going on in the PC, i.e. moving the mouse etc. similar to the OP's. Is...
  8. Lttlwing16

Apparently the THX 789 is a noisy amp. I call BS!

I'm picking up PC noise through the SE input on my 789. I was gifted a gaming PC and since introducing it has been a PITA for noise. This is heterogenous electrical noise which changes depending on what's going on in the PC, i.e. moving the mouse etc. Is this a grounding issue with the PC or...
  9. Lttlwing16

Darlington Labs MM-5 Review (Phono Stage)

Darlington Labs, much like JDS labs, sets the bar for customer support and is reason enough to purchase from them. I have a custom built - one off - dual output MP-7 on it's way with full trade in value for my MM-6, which Keith didn't hesitate to agree to build for me on trade. I'll now be...
  10. Lttlwing16

How do I clean the vinyls?

I couldn't bring myself to pay for an RCM, so I built my own. I use the London Jazz Collector's recipe (99% Isopropyl, Distilled H20, Ilfotol) to clean my records. All works very well. https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=126227
  11. Lttlwing16

Best true wireless? (or value IEM)

Wanted to circle back and say I picked up the Soundcore Life A1's for under $50 as a pair of workout buds. They are much more comfortable than the Earfun Air Pro 2's I sent back, and offer 3 generic EQ settings. Initial listening to some of my reference tracks things sound good/satisfactory for...
  12. Lttlwing16

Best true wireless? (or value IEM)

Just got the EF Air Pro 2 Weds, used them once, and I like everything about them, EXCEPT they're uncomfortable in my ear. The ear tip is too close to the bulb of the internals for me. Unfortunately a game ender. I'll be sending them back and looking for another pair that fit properly...
  13. Lttlwing16

ZERO AUDIO Carbo Tenore ZH-DX200-CT Review (IEM)

Alas, the 90 degree 3.5mm connector on my Tenore's gave up the ghost, so I was wondering if anyone thinks it's feasible to re-terminate these or if it's just easier to buy a new pair? Thanks! David EDIT: For those who need to re-terminate these: Red - RT Green - LT Copper - Ground
  14. Lttlwing16

Normalization methods for LP digitization

I've gone to using +0.1 Amplify to find the single peak throughout an album. I can then set the capture volume according to that peak.
  15. Lttlwing16

Also came across a free test for testing your ADC against guidelines set by FADGI (Federal Agency Digital Guidelines Initiative) in Windows: http://www.digitizationguidelines.gov/guidelines/digitize-ADCTest.html Haven't tried it yet, but might give it a go.
  16. Lttlwing16

FWIW, here is an interesting read from the Library of Congress, from 2006 on Capturing Analog Sound for Digital Preservation. Appendix 1 (2004) is a best practices guideline. https://www.loc.gov/static/programs/national-recording-preservation-plan/publications-and-reports/documents/pub137.pdf
  17. Lttlwing16

For those using Audacity who'd like to find the actual peaks within the waveforms quickly, you can Amplify>allow clipping>0.7 dB. You also have to ensure you have "show clipping" enabled under the View menu. Obviously set the level back when you're done. Also useful to import the same file to a...
  18. Lttlwing16

FWIW, Ardour can evaluate the loudness of a track. Pretty cool, with lots of useful info. Below is just an example:
  19. Lttlwing16

All good stuff folks. Thanks for engaging and sharing what you know and experiences with the process.
  20. Lttlwing16

Yep, error on my part. Audacity is on version 2.4.1 on Manjaro. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Messing around in Ardour at the moment. Thanks for taking the time to lay that out further.
Top Bottom