Search results

1. mhardy6647

Vintage Audio Advertising

Turntable? check. "Girl" (I think that this may be a somewhat inappropriate term in 2022 ;) )? check. Not an ad per se, but certainly a demonstration. :)
  2. mhardy6647

Post pictures of anything, with comment...couple words.

I had no idea that Yul Brynner spoke French nor that he was buried in France.
  3. mhardy6647

YAMAHA A-S701 - tear-down, thoughts about the internals & few measurements

Some DACs have multiple inputs. Mine, for example ;) (it is elderly, though, by all y'all's standards) Alternatively, it would be straightforward, I would think to build a switchbox for, e.g., RCA-connector-terminated coaxial cable (like the old serial port or parallel port switch boxes some...
  4. mhardy6647

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

A surprisingly common event in older houses. :(
  5. mhardy6647

Carver Crimson 275 Measurements

oh, it's not you! ;) it's... me... :facepalm:
  6. mhardy6647

The aforementioned Sears house has very nice (and original) interior woodwork. The home was delivered by rail (flatcar) to... that Upper Valley town for erection and finishing on site. I am not sure how it was transported from the rail line to the lot, though. Sears sold plenty of vacuum tube...
  7. mhardy6647

Mrs. H went birding there in 2010 and she had a great time. She and some buddies did run across a cassowary at one point, though (more like vice versa). Fortunately it was a female. :) They had a run in with some land-dwelling leeches, too, if memory serves. ok -- back to the 275! ;)
  8. mhardy6647

Cheap But Clean Power

Did you look at/consider any of the current crop of Yamaha integrated amplifiers? They look pretty nice, literally and figuratively. They range in price from quite reasonable to moderately unreasonable, so there're definitely options. I am using a very vintage (ancient, by 2022 standards)...
  9. mhardy6647

Our son-in-law's parents live in a Sears house in a college town here in the Connecticut River Upper Valley (that narrows it down ;) ). It's a neat house.
  10. mhardy6647

A Call For Humor!

It's a fine line...
  11. mhardy6647

"P2P" -- as in "point to point" :)

An interesting countermelody has emerged in the Carver Crimson 275 review thread related to layout, wiring, and construction of vacuum tube audio equipment. I thought it might be both interesting & fun to run a little bit with the topic of vintage wiring schemes, particularly point to point...
  12. mhardy6647

Vintage amplifiers that could challenge or approach current state of the art amplifiers

I suspect that poor @amirm might be dealing with more than just popped mains fuses if he pressure-tests even a rehabilitated 700B... and I think he's got enough home ownership angst goin' right now already! :( Metastabilty seems (to me!) to have been a trademark of many [Bob] Carver designs.
  13. mhardy6647

Link to review video & discussion: Boyuurange A50 SE DHT amplfier

Trying to make good on my "promise" ;) last night not to muck up the Carver Crimson 275 review (too much) further: @Bernd brought up one of the low(ish) priced Chinese300B amps. The name of the amp rang a bell (as they say), so I thought I'd start a thread about it. If this is misplaced, by...
  14. mhardy6647

Does Over Exceeded Amplifier Volume Damage Speaker?

JBL's earlier position on low power being dangerous (for tweeters) was, if memory serves, eventually if quietly "taken back" by them over the course of three-ish decades. I believe that they ceased to espouse their earlier claim before they became a Harmon brand name -- but... no... I cannot...
  15. mhardy6647

Vintage amplifiers that could challenge or approach current state of the art amplifiers

This is well put, and worthy of bearing in mind (I'd opine).
  16. mhardy6647

Classic cameras

My aforementioned offspring likes his Leica IIIf. No... he loves it. It was a gateway drug of sorts for him into interchangeable-lens rangefinders (mostly of the Japanese, screw-mount kind) -- but I think to date he still has just the one Leica. He's got a coupla Rollei and Yashica TLRs...
  17. mhardy6647

A Call For Humor!

posted on the Polk forums recently by retired Polk Audio pro & loudspeaker/hifi buff "Selenium Falcon":
  18. mhardy6647

I think it's fine. The Manley 250 and 500 watt monoblocks are beasts. Here's the 250 tested @ Stereophile. https://www.stereophile.com/tubepoweramps/670/index.html
  19. mhardy6647

Floating chassis -- note the ground lug of the IEC power receptacle is not connected.
  20. mhardy6647

Classic cameras

aah, a Brick! :) An interesting little, quasi-sophisticated camera which sold in large numbers and served its users well. My father took a remarkable series of Kodachrome slides at Bryce & Zion Canyons in Utah in the early 1950s with an Argus like that. His is long gone, but, thanks to my son...
Top Bottom