Search results

1. R

How is THIS for a baffle wall?!

It will likely make a lot of noise but the comb filtering effects will be off the charts if you dare to move your head even slightly. Looks silly. I'd rather spend that amount of money on a fun sports car.
  2. R

Bit Perfect Yes or No

I misunderstood the word "programs" for some reason. Actually sounds like a very good way to back them up!
  3. R

Bit Perfect Yes or No

8 bit? Must have been mono recordings from am radio or a telephone answering machine. Many years ago I worked on a system that could recreate radar pulses using 4 bits, but the steps were huge and the result was an approximation at best. In that case, bit perfect wasn't perfect either 8-) ...
  4. R

USB-C enough to drive voltage to 1400W active two-way array RCF?

I use the Emotiva BTR-1 which claims 2 volts output, although it depends on the streaming service and the device playing the music whether you get full scale output or not (but who cares if it's loud enough!). I suggest you try Amazon music in HD and see if it sounds better to you. I wouldn't...
  5. R

USB-C enough to drive voltage to 1400W active two-way array RCF?

If it's loud enough and doesn't sound distorted it's fine!
  6. R

Subwoofer problem with low level connections. But high level seems to work. Low vs high?

I've heard those subs do the same thing. A hum and no other audio. It's not uncommon. It's had a pretty good innings though...
  7. R

Mixer-style speaker level adjustments on AVR?

No clue. The old 1401 that I have in the attic has a direct access "levels" button on the remote. I wish they'd kept it. And no luck with using the old remote on the new receiver, that button doesn't work!
  8. R

I have the NR1509, BTW. HEOS has no controls for channel level that I can see. Just the awful master volume that does massive steps that are not even consistently spaced. HEOS has such promise, but alas, they never finished it.
  9. R

Heos is a horrible way to adjust volume, the steps are huge. However I will see if this is an option on mine and report back.
  10. R

You can adjust all channels using the built in pink noise generator, manual settings, but it's a pain.
  11. R

Carver Crimson 275 Measurements

These are good tubes. I used to have an amp that used them as drivers for EL34's. When I sold the amp the buyer asked for them to be replaced by something that wasn't Chinese, so they're still sitting in my attic collection.
  12. R

On my Marantz unit I often tweak center channel level and subwoofer level without disabling Audyssey. The previous model I had had a direct access key on the remote to get directly to speaker levels; the new one has to go through the Audio menu to do so, so they've made it less convenient.
  13. R

Carver Crimson 275 Measurements

I'm waiting for someone to trot out the old argument about tube watts being mysteriously bigger/better than solid state watts and provide some sort of imaginary conversion factor...
  14. R

Aiyima T8 valve amp, to grease or not to grease...?

It would simply be dangerous and not do anything at all to change the circuit design. If you're curious about improving contact with the sockets, you could try: 1. replace the sockets with better ones 2. Buy tubes with gold pins. But you'd probably just be wasting your time.
  15. R

Need to advice about noise on Mixer.

It probably has the gain and faders cranked up for all the unused channels.
  16. R

Please HELP! (mods please move thread as needed)

Get a dual 10K pot, install at the input of the amp. Wiper goes into positive input on each channel. If that doesn't fix it, you've got bigger issues.
  17. R

Can a TV be used as a serious Audiophile source with an AVR?

Honestly the quality you'll get is set by the player that is streaming the audio. Who knows what that's doing, it's part of the TV software... In the case of Roku, for example, the Roku Spotify player in my TCL TV doesn't sound as good for Spotify as the built-in renderer in my Marantz receiver...
  18. R

Relaxed, forgiving, rolled off, dark sound speakers, where are you nowadays?

This would only be true if there is a crossover to filter those frequencies out for the main speakers. Simply adding a sub does not accomplish this.
  19. R

Relaxed, forgiving, rolled off, dark sound speakers, where are you nowadays?

The older Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 was very rolled off to the point of being dull. But, like most hifi speakers, not designed for extremely nearfield listening (like beside your computer monitor). Most need to be 5-8 feet from you which is still considered near field as far as listening triangles...
Top Bottom