Search results

1. Holmz

What are the reasons to choose Class A/AB/H over D in this day and age?

Well most beginners could build a Class-A and drive a tweeter, and it would sound good. Most beginners cannot build or service a Class-D.
  2. Holmz

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Biased would have been a better choice of words than skewed IMO.
  3. Holmz

Passive Bookshelf Speakers ~$3k (Desk)

If you are looking at the Seleh, the the March Audio Suintuva seems like a logical candidate. I believe that they are going on a Klippel pretty soon.
  4. Holmz

Did post #1084 not answer it?
  5. Holmz

Speaker designs using Purifi drivers

I heard the March Audio Sointuva a few weeks ago and it was pretty good. It has two of the Purifi passives on the back, and the bass was surprisingly more than I expected it to be. I have no easy way to tell how good it was as it was a new room, new amp driving it, sighted, etc… But I would not...
  6. Holmz

First Time Home Theater Purchase Help

It depends on whether the speaker wires have the fancy MIT boxes on them, and whether they sit on those wooden isolators jobs that hold them off of the floor… :facepalm:
  7. Holmz

First Time Home Theater Purchase Help

I do not recall seeing ^a recommendation post^ that was so well laid out. If the speakers are all active, then that opens up the possibility of using a preprocessor rather than a receiver. Although a receiver with preouts is often cheaper than most processors (without the amps built in)… which...
  8. Holmz

Yeah power amps, but I thought this was PA3 was a power amp? i.e. underlined below:
  9. Holmz

All good mate… I appreciate the the attempt at helping. I am still uncertain about how the minimum of 5-1/2 ohm example (for an 8 ohm speaker) would have a huge influence from the output impedance? Maybe I do not understand the phase or inductance/capacitance well enough? In the context of the...
  10. Holmz

I’ve had similar thoughts, but with the gain so low… and it being designed for >2v input… will it have enough juice?
  11. Holmz

The earlier statement was, “both amps playing 20-40w”. Maybe we need to crank a small twist to get the volume the same, but 20w is 20w. I did not see the amplifier’s output impedance in Amir’s opening post… How high was it? And how do I process this with people talking about “tube amps should...
  12. Holmz

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

That reminds me... I need to listen to my Plimsoles album.
  13. Holmz

i am still struggling… Even if we say an 8 ohm dips to 2 ohms, how does the amplifiers output impedance affect that? If is was I*(R+r) then we have 2.1 versus 3 ohms. What am I missing?
  14. Holmz

Is what mentioned in this paper real?

Maybe they are using that sort of tech in Cuba?
  15. Holmz

Tube Rolling: Does it Make a Difference?

May be this: https://www.cheechandchong.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/slide1.jpg
  16. Holmz

Let me understand… Is the R is the speaker? Is the r in the output impedence? If ^that^ is correct, then we have 8.1 versus 9 ohms for the 0.1 and 1.0 ohm output impedance (respectively)? Or am I missing something here? What is a very low impedance for the speaker? I thought that most 8 ohm...
  17. Holmz

Why do we care about the output impedance of the amplifier? The output current will be determined almost entirely by the load that the output sees… Which in your case was stated as an 8 ohm speaker. A better way to consider the output impedance is to hook up the head phones to an unpowered...
  18. Holmz

Is what mentioned in this paper real?

Do we process waves of sound, or time domain of sound?
  19. Holmz

I am of the opinion that bass might not be ideal to talk about in terms of crest factor(?) It is more like “It draws what it draws” and the “The draw is intermittent on/off”. At least that is how I think about it. But that is more of a concept I apply to say rap or some hip-hoppy music, and not...
  20. Holmz

Do I need a fancy power conditioner to clean up the wall power in order to deliver the “powerful musical transient” and maintain airy sound, and the magic? :)
Top Bottom