Search results

1. HooStat

Genelec 8361 speaker stands

I was looking at the recommended speaker stands for the Genelec 8361. Given that the speakers weigh 70 pounds (32 kg) each, it concerns me to use the recommended stands. The stands are 16 kg each with a load capacity of 70 kg. My concern is that the speaker-stand combination might be a bit...
  2. HooStat

Erin's KEF R5 review

Erin reviewed this a while back, but nobody has really commented here. Given how popular the R3 is, I thought I would see what people who know more than me think. (Apologies if we are not supposed to cross-post these reviews. I lost track of whether there are any remaining issues between...
  3. HooStat

Speaker choices for a reflective, large room

I would like to get some input on ways to maximize the sound quality, and dialog intelligibility in particular, in our family room. This is really a speaker question because we can't move the listening position (against the wall) or use anything on the walls. So, room treatment, to the extent...
  4. HooStat

Raised subwoofer

One option I am considering is to put a subwoofer is behind the TV, on a 30" tall table (i.e., between the TV and the wall behind the TV). Is this going to be any better or worse than locating it in the same place, but on the floor? Just to be clear, I am asking about on the floor vs raised...
  5. HooStat

Strategies for 100-500 Hz

Subs seem like a "solved" problem for frequencies below about 100 Hz. That doesn't mean "easy", but there are tutorials and software to measure and tweak. And there are cardiod subs (Geithain) as well. Above about 500 Hz, room modes are no longer as problematic, and one can focus on the...
  6. HooStat

Practical use of Dutch and Dutch 8c

As much as I would prefer to get the Genelec 8351b, I think the 8c is a better choice for me. I have done some reading on these, and looked at the user manual, but I would love insight from some users of the 8c on issues they may have run into (and solutions, if they exist). I also have a few...
  7. HooStat

JL Audio F113 -- $2200 in Los Angeles area

This was sent back to JL Audio in May/June of this year for their standard $400 (plus shipping) overhaul. The completely replaced the electronic unit and replaced a number of capacitors. The driver was in perfect shape. I have been using it for 6 months, but am planning on going with 2 subs...
  8. HooStat

Speaker choice - Neumann, Dutch & Dutch, KEF

I have checked a few options with my spouse for our living room. I would be interested in people's thoughts on the good and bad of these options. You can see in the attached photo, I have been playing around with a center channel -- for many years we simply went with a 2.1 system with KEF Q300...
  9. HooStat

Minimum needed for Sennheiser HD6XX

Getting these for my son and he will use them for gaming from his computer. What is an inexpensive way to drive them? 1) Just run line out from the computer into a headphone amp? 2) Or is there a need to run either USB into a dongle and then to the amp? 3) Or even Toslink into some kind of...
  10. HooStat

Speakers optimized for use with subs

To avoid stepping on the post asking about whether more than 5" mid woofer is needed for subs, I wanted to ask whether anyone makes a speaker that is optimized for use with a sub. By optimized, I mean that it doesn't trade too much sensitivity for extension, and doesn't introduce a port...
  11. HooStat

Full range system for < $1200

I was trying to figure out how little I could outfit a medium sized room with high quality full-range sound. I am thinking of my room (14 x 20 with vaulted ceiling that ranges from 8' to 11') but I asking more of a general question. I thought I would make it a challenge to see what people come...
  12. HooStat

JTR Noesis 110HT -- anybody have any measurements?

I am looking at options for our living room HT system and ran across some recommendations for JTR speakers. I don't know much about them, or the Noesis 110HT in particular. A web search has not turned up much on these speakers. These would be for use in an LCR setup. 11" is about the max...
  13. HooStat

Multiple shallow subs

Based on a recent thread on inexpensive subs, I was looking at the Monoprice slim sub (there is a 10" and a 12"). Link here: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=35847 According to Brent Butterworth's spreadsheet...
  14. HooStat

Revel C205 and C25 Center Channel

Does anybody have any experience with these? From what I have read, the MTM design can have issues with horizontal dispersion, and comb filtering, making dialog harder to understand. But I know that Revel does a lot of testing on their speakers, so perhaps they have solved this issue to some...
  15. HooStat

MiniDSP IL-DSP Headphone amplifier

Has anyone used this? What kind of headphone specs would you want to see to be sure it would play well with this (i.e., impedance, sensitivity)? I have some IEMs and am looking at some regular headphones and was curious as to whether I could play with EQ with these and still get good sound...
  16. HooStat

Objectively measured/designed headphones?

I was thinking of getting some over-the-ear, closed-back headphones. I have had IEMs for years for very casual listening (airplanes, office, etc). But one unit is no longer working and I wanted to try something new. It seems like there are tons of options, and it looks like it is still the...
  17. HooStat

KEF center channel measurements

Does anyone know of measurements of the KEF Q250c, Q650c, and R2C? I have just over 7" under my TV, and the 250 and R2C should fit. But I am wondering about the tradeoffs. My main priority is dialog clarity. We sit about 14' from the speakers in a very open room, but we don't listen to...
  18. HooStat

Simple way to get LCR digital signal?

Is there a simple way to get the digital left, center, and right speaker signals from, for example, Apple TV? Use case is our family room where we watch movies, TV, and sometimes listen to music (via Spotify or YouTube). I have had a 2.1 system for years, but we are in a new house and I would...
  19. HooStat

Shipping from Canada to the US

Does anybody have any experience shipping from Canada to the US? I can't quite figure out what my responsibility will be in terms of duties and taxes. This would be for speakers built in the EU and sold by a Canadian dealer. According to them I have to pay state sales tax and "some duties"...
  20. HooStat

Passive vs active DSP speakers KEF and Genelec

I have read that active speakers with DSP are, all other things equal, better performing speakers than passive. The "all things equal" part is nearly impossible for most speakers, of course. But looking at the KEF R3 and the Genelec 8341A, it is interesting how little difference there is in...
Top Bottom