Search results

1. J

Spotify to launch 'Hi-Fi' CD Quality Tier.

Now December 1 and no news from Spotify??? Wow, if someone wanted to show audiophiles that they just don't care, this is sure textbook on how to do it. Tidal's not too bad, I may switch in the end if I can get my wife to go along...
  2. J

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Yeah, no, I'm mostly used to running class AB amps and the a07 amp is very solid, in fact with my 87 db efficient KEFs I'm currently using with it, it's loud by 10 o' clock and I never use past 12 o'clock on the knob. And that's with the 32v 5a power supply. So that a08 is definitely not right.
  3. J

A millennial's rant on classical music

Listen to what you like, don't try to put a square peg in a round hole. I do think it's hard to pick up a taste for it, for many, unless it was part of your childhood listening experience. My brain got used to classical at a young age, and though my mainstays now are jazz, rock and...
  4. J

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Aiyima folks were very helpful to me re the power supply, as at that time (late spring) their power bricks were in short supply. I had purchased an a04, they basically gave me an a07 for free with the brick, I think I paid for shipping only. I do think the a07 is the better of the two amps, it...
  5. J

New Tidal Pricing

I signed up for one month free and the 2nd month for just $2 for the HiFi tier. Fun for 2 months for just $2 while I continue to wait and see what the hell Spotify is going to do. I don't envy them, last to market decisions are usually pretty terrible, they let everyone else set the price point...
  6. J

Apt Holman Preamplifier Review (vintage Audio)

Yeah, that's the main reason I keep and rotate in my NAD 1020 and the Nikko Beta 20. And why I rotate a number of receivers/integrateds in my house systems, some restored, some not. I don't normally need a lot of preamp control but it's definitely nice to have on the setups where I have multiple...
  7. J

Apt Holman Preamplifier Review (vintage Audio)

This was on my "do want" list for a long time. Such a cool unit and I love the history of them. Just don't have much need for separate Pre's right now and of course they do need a good going through to sound as good as in 1980. Delighted to see that they can be restored to this level of...
  8. J

Spotify to launch 'Hi-Fi' CD Quality Tier.

I've given up on Spotify for now so took advantage of Tidal's one month free + one extra month for $2 to get CD quality streaming for the holiday period, now that they have redefined their service. I wonder if waiting on the Tidal tiering news was holding up Spotify? At any rate, the business...
  9. J

$500 budget for headphone and amp. What would you do?

AKG K361, about $90. Either current Schiit Magni/Modi stack or JDS Atom+ stack, each around $230. Enjoy.
  10. J

Which class D amp ?

I'd look for a used Emotiva BasX A-100. Great for headphones from what I hear and plenty of power for your speaker needs. Discontinued, but you can still find them around.
  11. J

The Most Audiophool Thing You Own

This has got to be one of the weirdest phono stages out there. Looks scary as hell, electrically.
  12. J

The Most Audiophool Thing You Own

I had an Audioquest Jitterbug, but sold it off for basically what I paid for it. I do have a couple of their cables that I bought fairly cheap. My fanciest USB cable (one of their Evergreen series, so still on their low side).
  13. J

Looking for suggestions for a budget setup under 300$ to play CDs in my dorm

Sometimes, a multiformat player will have a noisy or vibrating CD tray, which is irritating. But in my experience, that's fairly rare, and I have a lot of vintage CD, DVD and multiformat players. One of the simplest and cheapest I have is an older Toshiba 24/192-capable unit that you see in...
  14. J

One other aspect of active speakers: if they break, potentially a more expensive replacement because amp+speaker all in one. With passive speakers and a separate amp, may be less expensive to replace/repair. The plus of new actives if you can afford a good set, easier and simpler wiring with CD...
  15. J

My experience at HIFI Store

Next time you are out, try the AKG K361s. My favorite low end headphone.
  16. J

ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Speaker Review

I'm very pleased with my B6.2 speakers in nearfield listening in my office setup, very pleasant for low and mid-level listening. Using without correction. I have older Infinity bookshelves (RS225) only, so can't comment on those. I personally think the Elac's are a great value. Hoping others...
  17. J

Yeah, if you decide to use a little amp and unpowered speakers, the Aiyima a07 would be a great choice. It would work with a lot of small bookshelf speakers happily. It's my favorite new find of the year. I think a Schitt stack ,or a used Fulla 3, would be good if you will be doing a lot of...
  18. J

Music is dead.

True 'dat.
  19. J

Music is dead.

Endless wonderful things happening in my musical genres - alternative, jazz, classical, ambient, EDM. Today's pop and current artists, I don't pay much attention to, but thanks to Spotify, I find wonderful new artists from time to time I click with - Phoebe Bridgers, Japanese Breakfast, etc. I...
  20. J

Trying to understand the turntable/vinyl world...

While I don't like the cheaper AT tables, the current AT102xUSB is a great, simple place to start for a lot of people. I don't use the built in preamp or the USB capability, but those are nice to have. Mine was about $230 shipped new and I think that's pretty affordable. The 95 series cartridges...
Top Bottom