Search results

1. S

Mahler - Symphony No. 2

This first came to mind. It is very well played and even better recorded in 5.1. Adding Neural X really makes it sound like you are in the hall.
  2. S

Stereo Bass using subwoofers

Nobody should have to explain this to you, it is fairly obvious. The workflow obviously has more steps in movies than in music, we mix differently because we have a picture to mix to, and music does not. Most movies are mixed in a dubbing stage to be played back in a large theater and are...
  3. S

2L doesn't do movie soundtracks, and neither does Lindberg
  4. S

Ummm, not all content in a soundtrack is recorded by a microphone. I have a HUGE library of sound effects that I use, and that does not require a microphone at all. As a matter of fact, every studio has a HUGE library of pre-recorded sound effects that we can manipulate in all kinds of ways to...
  5. S

I would be curious as to what studio does this. In Hollywood, the folks that do what I do (Home media mixes i.e streaming and disc) do not use full-range speakers. I don't know anyone among the Hollywood (or Bay Area) studios that do.
  6. S

Actually, this is not correct. Every studio I know of that does HT mixes does them on a bass-managed system. All Atmos tracks are mixed and mastered on a bass-managed system for both the cinema and home environment. Considering there is not much bass information below 40hz in the front main...
  7. S

Dolby Atmos music mixing terminology explained by Mix Engineer John Hanes

You may have the tools (XYZ panner plug-in), but you don't have the integrated processing software and streamlined workflow that Atmos and X have.
  8. S

Dolby Atmos music mixing terminology explained by Mix Engineer John Hanes

He must be using the Atmos ISF format (gaming format), as that is the only one that allows 12-bed tracks plus objects. Cinema Atmos uses a 9.1 bed plus objects, and the Atmos format for HT only uses a single bed channel(LFE) plus up to 16 dynamic objects.
  9. S

Spatial Audio -- warning from a producer/engineer

Actually, the stereo format is limited...at least spatially. What makes Atmos and multichannel in general better than stereo in many ways is to be able to position things correctly and naturally within a 360-degree vertical and horizontal soundfield. If you are recording live, you can properly...
  10. S

I don't know any mixing or mastering engineer that would purposefully create a track that had bass 20dB louder in one channel than the other. Even if you could find a track that had its bass heavily decorrelated, it would not have a channel disparity of 20dB in the low frequencies. Music isn't...
  11. S

Your statement here is incorrect. It does not matter if the size of the front speakers is different than that of the surrounds, as long as the timbre matching between the two is very close. The problem with stereo is the only additional enveloping information coming from the sides and rear is...
  12. S

Or you could stay and keep participating in the discussion. If the whole point of any posting is for sheeple and the agreeable to participate, this forum and others like it would be boring as hell.
  13. S

The reason I am being ignored by "many" (which in reality is just a few) is because those "many" have a vested interest in proving a point that they really cannot and have not proved. They are not interested in reading about things that are counter to their myth-based beliefs.
  14. S

Your methodology for this ABX has not been reviewed by a disinterested third party, which makes it invalid. We have a long history of people designing a test, and then validating their own work without it being reviewed. I say boo to you on this!
  15. S

Thank you for the papers, but I have already read them and they do not prove your point at all. I don't think you understand them as much as you want to prove your point, which you haven't. Spatial information loss does not mean stereo information, just out-of-phase information. Since there...
  16. S

This sounds like a justification to prove a point that no research so far has proven. This comment can be easily folded back on you. The idea you CAN sense directivity in bass below 80hz is not science, and therefore not logical. Without any proof you can sense directivity below 80hz, it is...
  17. S

At which frequencies, sine waves or pink noise, the position of the sub(or subs), the filter slope of the low pass filters, and the acoustical traps that neutralize the room from those subs? Where is the data to support this comment?
  18. S

I mentioned the same thing earlier and was summarily ignored. Also mentioned you don't feel LF information on one side of the body without feeling it on both sides. That was also summarily ignored. They were likely using particle velocity to describe the threshold of detection of a subwoofer...
  19. S

Don't set your subwoofer on the floor

Actually, the locations that Welti found the best start off with 4 subs in the 4 corners, so it IS ONE of the best locations. The other location he mentioned was the one you mentioned, but he also said that location has the least low-frequency support.
  20. S

Bass mixed louder in one channel than the other could be a mastering error. It could have been in the mix, and the mastering engineer missed it. My friend, the tactile information from bass frequencies does not travel directionally, it travels by pressure waves and vibration transferred from...
Top Bottom