Search results

1. JeffS7444

Post pictures of anything, with comment...couple words.

Ai Weiwei: Circle of Animals. Christmas Day 2017, Denver, Colorado.
  2. JeffS7444

Mao bust Kidrobot Frank Kozik.
  3. JeffS7444

Cassette?

Let's think more mainstream 1970s, because I might have wanted to listen to Elton John, ELO, Linda Ronstadt or Queen more than say, Martin Denny, which is the sort of thing my dad bought. I realize that pre-recorded open reel tapes existed, but by the time I came of age, they were no longer a thing.
  4. JeffS7444

Cassette?

Just curious but in the days before CD became available, might cassette have actually been the highest fidelity pre-recorded medium? I'm talking about the regular sorts sold by the big music labels. Rather than buying a fancy turntable, would I have done better to buy a dual-capstan, 3-head...
  5. JeffS7444

Other people's toys spotted around town this past spring and summer. License plate on the van indicates that it had been previously registered in Shinagawa Ward, Tokyo.
  6. JeffS7444

Cassette?

Cassettes have been kind of a low-level thing for some time now, and Urban Outfitters has offered a modest selection for awhile. My hunch has been that some stuff associated with youth culture has it's origins in scavenging the cast-off items of older generations.
  7. JeffS7444

What is / are your most memorable camera(s)?

Cool zoomies! But have you ever considered denial as a money-saving strategy? Say that you've got a camera with slow autofocus: You can quote Henri Cartier-Bresson with a dismissive "Sharpness is a bourgeois concept" :p
  8. JeffS7444

Asimov Foundation

IMO, the accompanying podcasts are pretty good, as the writers make their case for changes in characters, points of view and newly-created backstory.
  9. JeffS7444

Toxic debates - The Public Misunderstanding Of Science

Interesting points gleaned from the podcasts: Sometimes conspiracy theories have been proven to be true Scientists may be unprepared for dealing with human (emotional) factors of how important news is received There may be vested interests working against them who are more skilled at swaying...
  10. JeffS7444

My brassed and battered $25 Olympus OM-1! As received, paint on the die-cast surfaces was loose and flaking, and the underlying metal was powdery with corrosion. And at some point, someone had applied touch-up paint with a heavy hand. Did not attempt to hide all signs of use, but wanted to...
  11. JeffS7444

My favorite "boring" choice: They simply deliver the goods without fuss, year after year. I think no other cameras have remained in service with me for as long as Sony's A7- and RX100-series cameras. If not for the film cameras that I buy cheaply, I'd have almost no new photographic equipment to...
  12. JeffS7444

Mamiya-16 Super 16 mm camera bought cheaply as "parts/as-is" and restored. 3D-printed new film cassettes and 35 mm film slitter.
  13. JeffS7444

Shot with Jenaflex AM-1 (Praktica B200):
  14. JeffS7444

Adding pre out/main in to an old amplituner.

Basically you'd want to create a set of Pre-Out / Main-in jacks by tapping in right at the input of the power amplifier. That way, muting, tone controls, balance, etc would all continue to work. But if it were my receiver, I don't think I'd do this. Instead, if that subwoofer has speaker-level...
  15. JeffS7444

Sorry, I didn't have access to a camera until ~1974 and could not really afford film until later :D
  16. JeffS7444

AVSForum is Talking ASR Smack!

Eh, no biggie.
  17. JeffS7444

1989 Vaduz, Leichtenstein And a more recent view.
  18. JeffS7444

1989, 9 Hertensteinstrasse, Luzerne, Swizerland And as it appears more recently.
  19. JeffS7444

Should I sell my vinyl rig?

Of course you can still collect records for the sake of collecting records: https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/04/14/icm-poll-48-of-people-who-buy-vinyl-dont-listen-to-it/ I overhead a couple of younger folks talking while flipping through the bins at a record store. One of them was "thinking...
Top Bottom