Search results

1. Floyd Toole

Which speakers are the Classical Music Pros using?

No. It just wasn’t in that collection.
  2. Floyd Toole

Actually, I described it inaccurately. The multi-sub technique, as explained in detail in my book, attenuates some modes (odd order 1st & 3rd) while amplifying even order (2nd). All modes are amenable to attenuation by equalization, but normally they are in disarray. The multi-sub arrangements...
  3. Floyd Toole

Yes indeed. If you have my book - any edition - you will find explanations about how passive combinations of multiple subwoofers can be used to predictably attenuate room resonances in rectangular rooms, and in active solutions for rooms of any shape, can manipulate them, to create regions of...
  4. Floyd Toole

While studying in London my wife and I attended several concerts at the Royal Festival Hall. It had not been an acoustical success and physical solutions were too onerous to undertake. Wikepedia under" Royal Festival Hall" explains: "Leo Beranek, an American acoustics engineer who had...
  5. Floyd Toole

Set and forget was pretty satisfying for concert hall performances. Small clubs and recital halls need tweaking. Re. large room vs. small room. The best info I know of is: Hughes, R., Cox, T., Shirley, B. and Power, P. (2016). “The room-in-room effect and its influence on perceived room size...
  6. Floyd Toole

I had no involvement with it. Once it is appreciated that resonances are to be avoided, the essence of a loudspeaker is in bandwidth, directivity and playing loud enough to be engaging. This was really a massive DSP exercise, involving Dr. Ulrich Horbach. It was a success in that it performed...
  7. Floyd Toole

Indeed David Griesinger brought a useful combination of DSP expertise, psychoacoustic knowledge, a sensitivity to the priorities of good music reproduction and intelligence. Somewhere I'm sure I have commented on LARES - Lexicon Acoustical Reverberation and Enhancement System...
  8. Floyd Toole

If you look at Section 15.7.1 in the 3rd edition and 15.10.2 in earlier editions you will see that in terms of creating enveilopment "classic" 5.1 is an excellent substitute for a much higher number of channels. You will also see that having a center channel is an advantage, so adding two...
  9. Floyd Toole

"Do you recall if there were any perceptual downsides to the rear-firing tweeters?" No. " is the high frequency energy in the signal sent to the surround speakers rolled off a bit to simulate the effects of air attenuation over a much longer reflection path?" It makes sense to do so, as it...
  10. Floyd Toole

"Was that approach something you had to request, or did Sidney Harman bring up the idea of continuing to publish?" As a research scientist I was a bit of an anomaly in the context of this large manufacturing company, many people thought I was an academic, detached from their world. In fact, at...
  11. Floyd Toole

Don't forget the effects of diffraction, whichs is part of why Kevin Voeck of Revel had advocated for use of listening window, rather than on-axis. I believe that this is why Harman replaced the on-axis response with LW in their predicted in-room response. Toole wrote an interesting article on...
  12. Floyd Toole

You clearly weren't "standing" where I was. At that point, we weren't aiming at anything to "validate", it was a desire to build loudspeakers that had the highest probability of pleasing customers - it sounds so mercenary, doesn't it? The saving grace was that we kept on publishing the results...
  13. Floyd Toole

The 1985 stereo/mono tests under discussion used exactly the same locations for both tests, as I recall the left front speaker location was the mono candidate. The routine tests at Harman using the "shuffler" are set up as shown in several well circulated photos and as Tuga described. What is...
  14. Floyd Toole

A good comment. I am otherwise engaged these days, looking in to the forum only occasionally. You are absolutely right in your last statement. One needs a different kind of test to get a definitive result. As I said on P. 177 :"In these results, spatial quality and sound quality ratings were...
  15. Floyd Toole

Yes, being limited to 500 pages was a serious constraint, forcing difficult choices about what to discuss. The original book has more "hard science" discussion.
  16. Floyd Toole

"Is that Chapter in the 3rd edition covering the same content of the 13th Chapter in the 2nd edition (which I have)?" There is overlap, but the 3rd edition is significantly expanded and improved. It is an almost complete rewrite of the original book.
  17. Floyd Toole

Tuga said: “I understand the need for blind testing as a means to remove bias. I have found that familiarity provides the highest level of discrimination in a listening assessment, and that is achieved over long term listening with familiar music and in a familiar system/room, using only a...
  18. Floyd Toole

In other forums on this site I have commented extensively on the value and meaning of room measurements and "correction". I published a paper, which you can freely access that explains some of it: Toole, F. E. (2015). “The Measurement and Calibration of Sound Reproducing Systems”, J. Audio Eng...
  19. Floyd Toole

Tuga asked several important questions, all of which have been answered in great detail in my JAES papers starting 39 years ago, and my two “Sound Reproduction” books, the 3rd edition in 2017. I won’t attempt fully verified/referenced answers, but I will add a few comments. “What exactly was...
  20. Floyd Toole

Yes, I have an opinion. May I quote you? "Lots of marketing hyperbole:" With the TV speaker system as the center channel - the most important one - does one expect state-of-the-art sound? Their target was to be better than a sound bar, not a "real" home theater. I happen to have a...
Top Bottom