Search results

1. Gorgonzola

How true? Class D amps can't sustain their maximum spec'd power

A few times I've heard pundits insist that class D amps can't actually sustain their advertised power, at least not without additional cooling with larger heatsinks and/or cooling fans. Exactly how true is this? These critics seem to me to saying in effect that class D amps' are falsely rated...
  2. Gorgonzola

Do high-efficiency speakers really have better 'dynamics'?

A very experienced audiophile on another forum recently asserted that high-efficiency speakers were inherently more dynamic than other types. By high-efficiency I believe he meant >92 dB sensitivity; by "dynamic" I believe he meant more brilliant response to transient signals. Do hi-eff...
  3. Gorgonzola

FS: Burson V6 Vivid dual op amps, pair

The Burson V6 Vivid, (see HERE), are popular discrete op amps for improving the sound of various preamps, DACs, headphone amps, power amp driver stages, etc. The sound is more "tube like", i.e. more body, layered imaging, and smoother treble; (of course, experience will vary depending on...
  4. Gorgonzola

"SE" upgrades? Humm ...

A couple of days ago I got my Sonic Frontiers Line 1 preamplifier back from Parts ConneXion having had their "SE+" upgrade performed. I also had the volume control chips replace, (PGA 2311), and the defective rotary volume control encoder replace; (the latter is a common problem with the Line...
  5. Gorgonzola

Are there NO 'Recommended' AVR/AVP pre pros? (Or am I missing something?)

A "pre pro" seems like a great idea prima facie in that (i) you have your choice of power amps, and (b) you ought to save a little money on the processor itself given it doesn't include power amps. It's certainly what I would like but: But most pre pros (or AVRs with pre-out) seem to be aimed...
  6. Gorgonzola

What SMPS to replace my linear power supply?

A bit over a decade ago I constructed a power amp based on an SDS-258 modules from Class D Audio. The kit I purchased included a linear power supply. Presently I'm contemplating replacing that PS with a switching-mode one. The current linear supply puts out +/- 62 VDC. I would like advice on...
Top Bottom