Search results

1. G

multichannel DSP + DAC as alternative to miniDSP

1. Audiophonics looks nice, the software UI looks just like miniDSP, even same colors. I wonder why. 2. Dspnexus looks nice too and doesn't require import (to the US), but how do I buy one? Edit: nevermind it's $3000
  2. G

I'm looking into MOTU ultralike mk5 or 828es, not sure if they work without a computer Update: it does, but it unfortunately has arbitrary software limits that break my application. Too bad, the hardware looks really good.
  3. G

The miniDSP 4x10 is unreliable: volume control is bad, the chassis is not grounded (quite often requires reboot after touching the volume knob), the remote never ever worked (I tried two of them) and during 8 years of service every one of the 3 boards inside the unit failed and had to be...
  4. G

My application is LX521, it requires the following functions: - 8 channel analog output - DSP that supports at least 6 PEQs (inc. shelving filters) per channel - Basic matrix routing (I just need to copy 2 inputs onto 8 outputs) - Digital input via coax or optical SPDIF/AES - The DSP must happen...
  5. G

Can I use multiple stereo DACs instead of one multichannel DAC?

MOTUs don't have per-stereo-pair digital inputs (4x SPDIF or 4x AES), instead they use ADAT. as far as I know Okto is the only DAC that takes such weird inputs. This means I cannot use a nanoDIGI 2x8 as input. This means the DSP will have to be performed in software (deal breaker for me, I don't...
  6. G

8-channel volume control

This is just a taste of the problems I had with miniDSP, I replaced every one of the 3 boards in the box, even the supplied USB cable was flawed. I use unbalanced.
  7. G

8-channel volume control

Assume 8 channels coming out of a multichannel DAC or 4x stereo DACs, in balanced or unbalanced format (let's assume unbal for simplicity). I want a ready to use product, no soldering/coding required. After some research I found the following options: 1. Mechanical potentiometers, e.g...
  8. G

Yes volume control is such a pain I'm considering an 8-ch mechanical or relay potentiometer from this guy: https://khozmo.com/ OR just get the Okto DAC8. Problem is: both are in Europe. I'd get them myself when I visit but they also take 8-12 weeks lead time.
  9. G

Assume the input is 4xSPDIF like this unit: https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/nanodigi-2x8-b The different channels go to an 8-ch power amp connected to stereo 4-way speakers, so the phase matters (at crossover point). Would there be phase/clock sync issues with multiple DACs...
  10. G

What measurements/parameters tell you to NOT use a subwoofer for mid range frequencies?

Isn't that a major flaw in the way we do audio science? so many measurements and we still miss such a fundamental trait ("sounds horrible").
  11. G

What measurements/parameters tell you to NOT use a subwoofer for mid range frequencies?

It's currently in a dipole W enclosure, and I reproduced the same problem with sealed 12" subs. However when playing the same frequencies (40-300hz) from a 8" woofer driver (dipole, in the same room and using the same amp) it sounds good. Are you saying the L26RO4Y is really usable up to 800hz?
  12. G

1. In this example I am referencing the driver, I have it in a dipole W enclosure. I got similar results with sealed subs. 2. What data shows the phase coherence problem? (other than building and measuring the complete speaker)
  13. G

I tried crossing several subwoofers "too high" and they all sounded very bad. However I cannot see anything in the measurements or specs that suggests so, the FR looks flat but it still sounds terrible. it's not just beaming, it sounds "boomy" and "slow" and "muddy" in every direction. e.g...
Top Bottom