Search results

1. T

Cambridge Audio is (also) moving to Ncore...

Market dominance of nCore has taken a decade to accomplish. Which is slow but I’m glad it has. It’s superior not because it’s class D; and not because it’s efficient, but because it’s designed by Bruno Putzeys. People who are new to hi-fi don’t realise how good they’ve got it. And the...
  2. T

Linkwitz LX521 or JBL M2 ??

One thing about dipoles vs boxed speakers is that boxed speakers do better is the image focus, whereas the dipoles have a relative diffuse or “spacious” soundstage. I had a pair of Jim Holtz/Curt Campbell’s Statements II (a huge speaker >200lbs each; in WTMTW format with open back mids The...
  3. T

Passive Loudspeaker Speaker Compression/Dynamic Compression

A lot of people who do drive unit testing have found correlations with what they hear. The objectionable distortion that causes one to hit “stop” in the testing of the DUT is easily determined by ear. But the faint rub and fuzz or whistle-type air noises;sometimes that manifests as higher order...
  4. T

Passive Loudspeaker Speaker Compression/Dynamic Compression

@ctrl I agree with everything you say. And this is what makes the M2 most impressive, to me. The midwoofer doesn’t have the smoothest frequency response. But as erinsaudiocorner.com has shown, the bass and sub-bass distortion @96dB between 30Hz and 1000Hz is outstanding H2/H3 below 50dB down...
  5. T

I believe, but don’t have evidence, that Dynamic Range is an important factor to sounding live, or life-like. Related to this is voltage sensitivity, I believe. Erin does Dynamic Range testing. (Instantaneous Compression Test). see erinsaudiocorner.com One starts to see why not all “simple...
  6. T

Hello Paul, There’s a fellow on Oplug who sold his LX521.4; bought an M2; and missed his LX521 so much he bought LX521.4. Was that you? What a fortunate fellow. I also consider myself very fortunate enough to own and keep multiple pairs of speakers without ever having to sell one, and thus...
  7. T

Directiva r2 project

I’m must had missed the good coaxial target. I know of no good coaxial driver available for DIY market that are as good as the KEF range. But still; a co-axial is just a co-incident mid and tweeter. Still needs a crossover. And that’s the secret sauce that needs optimisation to all speakers...
  8. T

Directiva r2 project

Well what do we want over Directiva R1? A: An upgrade path for R1 builders. S: Louder and deeper M: 3dB or higher sensitivity; F3/F10 lower by 10Hz A: Doesn't need new NFS (using near field measurements for woofers are entirely appropriate; and accurate up to f(Hz) = 4311/Diameter of emissive...
  9. T

Directiva r2 project

The Dayton RS225 and RS125 have been in dozens of designs. It was a favourite budget beater when it was released a decade ago, including CJD's https://www.divine-audio.com/ Lots of designs to review/peruse/learn from here...
  10. T

Directiva r2 project

Re: F208 It's been done. Its the Javad Shadzi & Jeff Bagby Ceramicos; commissioned by SB Acoustics; same format- 2x8" woofers, 5" midrange, and albeit non-wave guided tweeter. @617 I guess there's an opportunity there to stand on the shoulder of giants. Why not further the work that's been done...
  11. T

Directiva r2 project

It’s all volume displacement limited. What that means is your SPL at a frequency is dependant on how much volume of air you can move. So Full range; we’ll that depends for what listening material and what distance and loudness you need? Music in a bedroom eg. Eg. 40Hz and 85dB. Dinosaur...
  12. T

JBL SRX835P Reviewed (Powered Monitor)

Apart from the top octave that RCF speaker would EQ very well. For professional musicians (that is; those whose job relies on the sweat and tears of live performance) who know- whatever venue one is performing in, is a constant variable in live audio; so processing is needed; even for the...
  13. T

ASR Directiva Open Source Speaker Review

People seem to question the value of this thing. I mean that is a different question. Is the Adam S2V worth 8-10 times (depending on the country you live in) the amount of similarly sized the T7V? Is the Genelec 8050 worth twice as much as the 8040, which is twice as much as the 8030? Is the...
  14. T

ASR Directiva Open Source Speaker Review

Great job @amirm ; @ctrl ; @Rick Sykora This is a great outcome for a first trial collaboration between measurers, crossover designers and builders. It’s seem to have started a discussion; some people like it and some people don’t; so you’re obviously doing the right thing. It’s a...
  15. T

Genelec GLM Review (Room EQ & Setup)

The closest I know is the miniDSP DDRC-88A (analog i/o) or D (digital I/o) + BM (3 way speaker + subs or 4 way crossovers) option. Unfortunately there’s no D/A model… and it still needs some know-how. How does DEQX auto-mate the measurements? If there a step-by-step prompt or something?
  16. T

KRK ROKIT 5 Gen 4 Review (Studio Monitor)

Yes. There’s no industry standard of how midwoofers or woofers are marketed. Frame sizes go from anywhere from 160mm to 190mm for “6”, 6.5” 7”, 7.5”” drivers. What’s important is Sd. Which depends on cone diameter and surround size and presence or lack of phase plug etc…
  17. T

Genelec GLM Review (Room EQ & Setup)

Mitchco, I don’t think you’re going to change Amir’s response on this matter; this is a review to guide a purchase decision not a comprehensive discussion on room/speaker correction; as in your book https://www.amazon.com/Accurate-Sound-Reproduction-Using-DSP-ebook/dp/B01FURPS40 Clearly amir...
  18. T

Introducing Directiva - An ASR open source platform speaker project

Great Metamaterial. Demonstrated by Lars Risbo/Purifi. Keeping it old school!
  19. T

Marantz AV8805A Review (AV Processor)

Mr YouTuber’s aim is to steer you towards to a purchase decision. Buy something, anything. Just buy it. it’s like when you go to shop for clothes. Does the sales assistant ever tell you “god that looks terrible on you?” Lose a few pounds?” Or “get the bigger size?” it really doesn’t matter...
  20. T

Marantz AV7705 Review (AV Processor)

there’s a new Marantz stereo amp released last year with Hypex NC500 modules and HDAM to add flavour to their Model 30 amplifier. Sigh
Top Bottom