Search results

1. tonycollinet

Welcome New Members to ASR, introduce yourself here.

Sorry for your breakup - but you seem to have parted on good terms which is definitely the best way to do it. And now you have an excuse to buy more gear.
  2. tonycollinet

PS Audio Stellar Review (Phono Preamplifier)

I'm always suspicious of somthing that weighs heavy when there is no technical reason. I've opened stuff up in the past to find lumps of metal that have no other function than to make the device feel substantial.
  3. tonycollinet

What short interconnects for a class d amp,dac,audio switcher ?

Cables don't match sonically. Buy any reasonably priced, but well built cable. You won't experience different sound.
  4. tonycollinet

Pics you’ve taken,

The Hunter... (Nr Aberystwyth, Wales, UK)
  5. tonycollinet

What kind of banana plugs are these?

Excellent - that is probably the only good (and perfectly valid) reason for buying expensive cables that perform identically to cheaper ones. Audio Jewelry as Killingbeans called it.
  6. tonycollinet

SPDIF Optical Cables, can they perform different?

It doesn't sound different. Unless the cheap one is so bad data is being lost cauing pops/crackles, then the sound is identical. The only exception might be if the receiving device is so poorly designed that it uses the recovered clock from the data stream to clock the DAC - thus causing...
  7. tonycollinet

What is this new forum layout? Test.

Has it changed back now - I can't see any difference
  8. tonycollinet

For those of you that are around 50 YO and over - do you think about death?

Just 59 here and recently retired. Do I think about death? Well, I know (Hope?) I've probably got around 20 years left. And the last 20 have gone in an instant. So, "Eat Drink and be Merry: For tomorrow we die" Or One Life: Live it! Or Two certain things in life: Death and Taxes. I mean...
  9. tonycollinet

[Gallium Nitride amplifier] Impressions of the Mini Gan 5 by Premium Audio, pictures / video inside

Isn't it an objective "THD+N below the level of audibility"? That is how our host uses it if I'm understanding the reviews correctly.
  10. tonycollinet

[Gallium Nitride amplifier] Impressions of the Mini Gan 5 by Premium Audio, pictures / video inside

It is just one element of the description (just as power output doesn't tell you anything about distortion, FR, crosstalk, features - or even transparency :)) It tells you specifically that what appears at the speaker terminals is pretty close to (or audibly exactly) identical (excluding gain)...
  11. tonycollinet

Asimov Foundation

Thanks for the heads up - just watched Greyhound. Very good.
  12. tonycollinet

I think they are gold/yellow coloured anodised. No gold contained: https://alumet.nl/en/colours/alugold/
  13. tonycollinet

OK - but the institute of acoustics would appear to disagree. https://www.ioa.org.uk/search/node/transparency The term seems to be pretty well used, and understood...
  14. tonycollinet

Asimov Foundation

I read the books about a million years ago. If they've done a half way decent job of the series it will be brilliant.
  15. tonycollinet

I could make an alternative and really generous analysis that would go like this. Heat sinks designed in as expected to be needed. During development its found out they are not needed, but there is insufficient time in the project for a design change to remove them, and the amp works fine with...
  16. tonycollinet

I am sorry - but the heat sinks raised like that draw NO heat from the PCB. Without thermal contact, the only way heat can be drawn away is convection directly from the power devices, then with the heat sinks in the way from air to the flat surface of the underside of the heat sink - then to be...
  17. tonycollinet

Measurements are carried out here. Any listening comments are clearly labeled as subjective and are pretty much downplayed. Every poster that promotes subjective hearing characteristics (airy, open, nuanced, dynamic, forward, warm, PRaT etc etc ad infinitum) is told to come back with blind test...
  18. tonycollinet

Willsenton R8

Welcome - and sorry, I should have said "if" not "when" - some people just prefer tube distortion. I would quite like a tube amp - but that is mainly because I think they look cool. And I'm not prepared to pay the required price for that aesthetic.:D
  19. tonycollinet

Purify measured at as close to transparent as I've seen. FR dead flat, and distortion inaudible to most (certainly me), especially with pregain off. I've no knowledge of the others you mention. The point is though - if people are "praising its tonal qualities" (And they are not just hearing...
  20. tonycollinet

Willsenton R8

IMO - you are better investing in a transparent solid state amp, then if you want tube distortion, add it digitally. That way, when you decide the distortion is not what you wanted after all, you can revert to nice clean power. Probably much cheaper also.
Top Bottom