Search results

1. A

Active vs Room Correction?

Invest as much as you can in linear speakers with lots of headroom, once there even the cheapest AVR on the market would sound divine, the newest Onyko and Pioneer AVRs have Dirac Live and Dirac live bass control. Which I think is the best affordable auto room EQ option (if you limit it to your...
  2. A

Stereo Bass using subwoofers

I would be all in favor of a no compromise design, unfortunately coaxials don't do well with 6.5 inch woofers. There was no positive correlation between low distortion and listener preference when Dr. Olive did the research for the preference model, so when you're given the choice of smooth...
  3. A

Thank you so much for sharing the documents, i will take a look at it. Silly me thought that the measurement is the 'anechoic' bass response of the whole speaker.
  4. A

Khadas Tea - New smartphone dac and amplifier

it's not magic it's MagSafe, it's a new iPhone 12 feature to keep wireless charging surfaces 'locked up' to the phone during charging. in an effort to remove the charging plug eventually in future phones.
  5. A

Center channel for Home Theater

the Center channel is on 70-80% of the time, don't skimp on it.
  6. A

Advice needed: moving to class D

I'm pretty sure the conclusion is the opposite, different PSUs and different OP amps made very little difference except in mains hum which is already not an audible concern even with the 'sloppy' PSU, @pma is free to chime in on this matter. Eitherway, don't buy an actual sloppy PSU with...
  7. A

the thing is a subwoofer with a BW2 low pass at 108 Hz will already have meaningful output till ~500Hz or so. So the important question becomes whether you want the perfect speaker or the speaker with more headroom. In my particular situation I rather have small speakers with cleaner design than...
  8. A

NAD PP 2 Review (Analog Phono Preamplifier)

Glad to see one more AP Analyzer on this forum!
  9. A

Why no follow up studies to Dr. Toole’s and Dr. Olive’s work?

I feel like it's important to make the distinction between Harman (private companies), and Audio Engineering Society (not a peer review driven journal, borderline predatory sometimes) to hardcore Academia (Universities funded publicly and peer reviewed journals). Fundamental Research is very...
  10. A

Phase linear subtractive crossover for subwoofer / speakers

I've always been pushed away by the learning curve, do you have any sources i can read about subwoofer design (Sorry OP for hijacking your thread).
  11. A

Do you think two of them in a dual opposed configuration would make a good subwoofer for the 20Hz-45Hz region?
  12. A

I've been planning on doing a mega subwoofer integration Guide for this forum since it's such a repeatedly discussed topic. However every few weeks something comes up that pushes me to take my own integration to 'the next level'. If i would turn back time I would probably buy LS50 Meta and seal...
  13. A

Sean Olive on Predicting Loudspeaker Sound Quality and Listener Preference

Unless you're masochist I'm pretty sure people buy speakers to enjoy them, I don't understand why listener preference is not important? The model was created to predict listener preference without blind listening and drive more profits cheaper with future designs, unfortunately as Dr. Olive...
  14. A

I meant by accuracy a smooth in-room frequency response.
  15. A

Why no follow up studies to Dr. Toole’s and Dr. Olive’s work?

you know it would take a small fortune to pay someone with the credentials of Dr. Olive for a year or two while the research is being conducted right?
  16. A

Okay so apparently my mains follow a BW2 at 108 Hz, I know a BW crossover does not sum as flat but rather as +3dB at the crossover frequency. So what's the next step from here? Also is it normal for a 6.5 inch woofer's HF roll-off to start so early? or am i missing something here?
  17. A

I don't think a crossover is necessary, just measure your floor standers' LF cutt-off frequency and slope and implement a complementary low pass filter on the subwoofer. This way minimum phase distortion is introuduced (the audibility of it is in question though). I'm interested in doing a DIY...
  18. A

there is no way the same speakers would score the same way, because in the study people scored the speakers and now we're using the model. Sure the model is off the data of people but it would never be the same number as asking people to score it in blind conditions. Sean Olive said the model...
  19. A

GR Research

it's so odd that the measurements always agree wit his opinions don't you think?
  20. A

RPi USB vs HAT S/PDIF output

Can you get over yourself? This is not about you. No body is challenging you in anyway, it’s just that there is no point in discussing something we’re not sure is real.
Top Bottom