Search results

1. aslan7

Puritan Audio PSM156 Review (AC Filter)

People seem obsessed with these power conditioners now. One major discount internet dealer advertises a whole product line of them. I suspected this is all hooey, especially when he gives you a free cable if you buy the pricey one. Amazing.
  2. aslan7

Those of you who believe measurements aren't the whole story, do you have a hypothesis why that is?

If I remember correctly Monk recommended cleaning the pins by gently scraping the ends with the end of a wooden matchstick. Now that’s high tech. But despite all that aggravation I enjoyed the tone arm.
  3. aslan7

Those of you who believe measurements aren't the whole story, do you have a hypothesis why that is?

I am obviously pro science but when I look at the top Prima Luna amp and preamp can’t help thinking it’s a lot cooler looking than my VTV Eval 1. I wouldn’t mind having my original Ampzilla back either.
  4. aslan7

Yes it was good on the few occasions it worked. I was very glad to trade it back in for an SME. Of course I am a big digital fan but in keeping with my theories can’t bear to part with my old Thorens/SME combo.
  5. aslan7

I think that everyone would be better off in these discussions if they admitted that the audiophile hobby is prone to extreme neurosis. People imagine--and fret about--all sorts of bizarre things about arcane "improvements" like cables, break-in, Israeli-made power supplies, isolation platforms...
  6. aslan7

Many people don't care about measurements and audio science because they like distortion. This is certainly the case with tube enthusiasts. They don't care about replicating the authentic sound and may even find that disagreeable as both an objective and actuality. Additionally, they have an...
  7. aslan7

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

Does anyone have a strong preference for what filter setting to use on the DX 7 Pro when used as a pure DAC? I like mine but it is a little sharper than my RME, especially at high volumes.
  8. aslan7

DAC for second system recommendations

Just for the record after much indecision I bought a used Topping DX 7 Pro and it is excellent. Unlike the RME in DAC mode you can't adjust the volume but not a problem. This is my first Topping product and I am vastly impressed.
  9. aslan7

Extreme Snake Oil

Class D is Green.
  10. aslan7

Extreme Snake Oil

Speaking of cables, a very well known cable manufacturer makes speaker cables with screw on bananas that are gold plated. They are really a tight fit so I called to ask if I could crimp them slightly. He assured me that I would hear a significant difference in sound quality if I switched to the...
  11. aslan7

Extreme Snake Oil

My ex wife spent 500 a month on “dietary supplements” and plenty more on her health advisor, a whacky woman from Florida who thought she could speak to bears. Every time there was a bear attack in the news I was very hopeful…
  12. aslan7

Extreme Snake Oil

What about hiring several witch doctors to recite magical incantations to enhance performance? You have to think big!
  13. aslan7

Extreme Snake Oil

If spending a fortune on superfluous cables makes someone happy so be it. It's good for the economy. I am always amazed when the people who buy such nonsense become angry when one points out that the science doesn't support the extravagant claims about cables. But, if one has the money that's fine.
  14. aslan7

"Rich Guys and Reviewers Running Amok in Hi-Fi"

The Chinese would probably be delighted at the term Chi-fi because it signifies their great success in the audio business. It’s remarkable how so many knowledgeable people admire and own those products. Now people look back at Japanese made components with nostalgia. Old Pioneer, Kenwood, and...
  15. aslan7

People collect watches like anything else. How the wealthy spend their money is their prerogative. I knew a fellow who collected duck decoys.
  16. aslan7

Now with vintage audio like Pioneer and such people see made in Japan as a huge plus. My local vintage dealer raves about the craftsmanship of vintage Japanese receivers.
  17. aslan7

Ending for now.

I am certainly interested in the DAC as we discussed but possibly you will want to see if the other fellow here wants the stack? Thanks, rt
  18. aslan7

If you look at traditional Chinese crafts like calligraphy and pottery they are amazing. I worked for a Chinese company for a couple of years and learned much about the way they do business. They have a completely different way of looking at things than we do. Their perspective and many...
  19. aslan7

Actually they really do measure the accuracy of elite movements but the whole chronometer thing is meaningless. But you are right that Casios and Timex models outperform mechanical watches, even good ones. This is especially so with chronographs. But the craftsmanship is amazing and we see such...
  20. aslan7

They are sealed, waterproofed with rubber gaskets. I believe all of the Rolex watches are sealed like an oyster except for the Cellini dress series. Possibly we should have waterproof audio components.
Top Bottom