Search results

1. I

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Do you have to be a billionaire to buy a Toyota Camry or a three-bed split-level? Same kind of price. I get that you're eager to get all upset and self-righteous, but relax, man. People can make their own choices.
  2. I

Study confirms superior sound of a Stradivari is due to the varnish

Rick - no major disagreement, but it's not entirely performative, because you can see it during set-up sound check noodling, and rehearsals and so on, where no one cares, least of all the player. Just that - with piano players specifically - good amateurs seem to use the elbows downwards, and...
  3. I

Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Review (Speaker)

Really nice. I have a soft spot for Wharfedale as a brand. My great uncle had one of the big 1950s designs. He was the first hi-fi enthusiast I ever met. My grandma lived in the geographic area known as Wharfedale - the valley of the River Wharfe, which I swam in, now I think about it. Not...
  4. I

Great points. I have spent time with pianists (I recorded Vladimir Horowitz once) and what you notice is very physical - strength, vigor, muscular power, coming from the upper body and shoulders. They physically dominate the instrument and generally make it do what they want.
  5. I

My last comment on a spiraling OT subject: with the greatest possible respect, this is incoherent. If the nut & bridge were reliable witness points, the string would be dead beyond them. You're saying, "The witness points are reliable, because observation shows them not to be." Again, I...
  6. I

Do the experiment for yourself - hold a pickup above the strings, between the nut and the pegs, and between the bridge and the tailpiece. You'll find output in both places, because neither the nut nor the bridge provides a reliable witness point. Always better to bring data, rather than mere...
  7. I

Accurate and boring or colored and fun

I agree the second half of what you say there is the same old weak, exasperating crap we're fed up of. It means nothing and goes nowhere. My uneasiness with the generic recommendation is that it's a fantasy. No loudspeaker has ever produced a flat FR. Not in all of history. Reliable...
  8. I

100% Free way to lift center speaker from table

Felt pucks for indoor hockey are great for things like this. Cheap, too.
  9. I

Yeah, but I'm a bass player, using flatwound strings wrapped in plastic tape, which ain't magnetic. No nickel involved. The steel core isn't reliably witnessed at the nut or bridge, and what I said applies.
  10. I

OT, but yeah ... the physics of a vibrating string are complex to start with, and we have to note that the bottom three (or four) strings of a six-string, and all of a bass's strings, have no actual witness points - i.e. they're not really clamped either end. It's the winding that's clamped...
  11. I

Tasteful rigid fiberglass room treatment panels

The graph suggests the fabric is reflective at certain frequencies, and as many have pointed out, certain weaves and finishes should be avoided. But the para quoted with the graph was about absorption by the fabric itself, not reflection, and was 50% confused, in that absorptive fabric over a...
  12. I

Tasteful rigid fiberglass room treatment panels

It doesn't have to be acoustic fabric. It doesn't have to be like speaker grille cloth. Best option in your situation is a thick-ish, soft nap, nubby upholstery fabric, not smooth or glitzy, not treated in any way, not ScotchGarded or mercerized. That will be fine, and any furniture...
  13. I

Apparently, although the brushstrokes are tiny and seemingly repetitive, actually they're randomly imperfect in a crucial way, and would have to be copied one at a time, which would take years. Easily done with 3D scanning and printing, of course, which comes out physically identical, but...
  14. I

I have an artist friend, and we often talk about this. First, he does it himself. What keeps the lights on is copying pictures for rich folk who flit from house to house, with the original going in a safe as soon as their back is turned, and the copy being hung for decorative decorum's sake...
  15. I

Cool. We're not curing cancer here, so I don't want to make a big deal out of it. All I'm saying is that a necessarily unknown destination offers no prior clue about the best starting point. Post-hoc arithmetic evaluation will provide the answer, which is that starting with any particular...
  16. I

Great - you solved the mystery. I'm dense and obtuse. Except then you go ahead and agree with me. What a weird and unpleasant response.
  17. I

Speaker choices for a reflective, large room

That's a really nice room. I can see why you don't want to mess with it, in terms of treatment. But honestly, you really need to do one little thing - put a rug on the wall behind the sofa. It could match the floor rug. Would that ruin the look? Then you need narrow dispersion speakers...
  18. I

Douk VU2 Review (VU Meter/Input Selector)

I totally get why they put meters on the front of things - there seems to be some deeply visceral attraction for some people, perhaps worthy of further study. I have an amp with meters - the moving needles show how the amp is actively contributing to the process ... which sounds phoolish, but...
  19. I

Illogical, captain. With no data beforehand about where you need to finish, you can't say where you need to start. Could be a flat speaker might need way more EQ than a random non-flat speaker, in which case the non-flat speaker offers "maximum room". I understand the lay intuition toward...
  20. I

Not me personally, because first-arrival is all I want and all I get. But I would be fascinated to see it done.
Top Bottom