Search results

1. bboris77

Review and Measurements of Schiit Yggdrasil V2 DAC

You could, but then you would have to stop the test after each loop to set up a new one. It would be neat to be able to just listen to a song and then click a button which would automatically switch to the other DAC and replay the last 3 seconds played on the other input and then continue with...
  2. bboris77

My issue with the classic blind test approach is that it assumes that if one can not reliably tell a difference between two devices while rapidly switching between them while playing the same source, that it must mean that they sound identical. There are several problems with this assumption: -...
  3. bboris77

While it would be interesting to see a third-party measurement of various versions of the Yggdrasil, there is no reason to doubt the measurements posted on Schiit's website. Personally, I would find it way more interesting to have another round of blind tests between different Yggy flavors, but...
  4. bboris77

The Intellectual People Podcast - JDS Labs

He is actually pretty funny. A very entertaining watch.
  5. bboris77

Schiit Jotunheim 2 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

So, the updated DAC module is out, using the ES9028 chip. According to Schiit, it will be outputting 2V in single-ended and 4V in balanced mode. Here are the specs, when used in Jotunheim 2: Optional ES9028 DAC: USB Input Receiver: Schiit Unison USB™ D/A Conversion IC: ESS ES9028 Analog Output...
  6. bboris77

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

Even if it is not next year, I am sure that lessons learned on making this statement product will eventually trickle down to their other products. I mean, there is no way that an amazing pair of headphones like the Aeon RT Closed could have been possible at $499 4-5 years ago without all the...
  7. bboris77

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

Why not just get the Atom DAC/Amp and put the rest of the money towards the headphones? This is assuming one believes that all transparent amps sound exactly the same.
  8. bboris77

Schiit Modius versus Bifrost

In my opinion, It all comes down to their proprietary reconstruction filter that they call SuperMegaComboBurrito. It sounds very slightly different to a typical sigma-delta filter, at least to me. This small difference is somewhat apparent in percussive instruments such as cymbals and hi-hats...
  9. bboris77

Schiit Jotunheim 2 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

I have a couple of very technical questions about the Jot 2 that I would appreciate some assistance with: 1. Does anyone know how much of Class A bias it is running in mW? I know that the Asgard 3 runs 500mW, but there is no mention about it on the Jotunheim 2 page. 2. Does it have any form of...
  10. bboris77

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

Agreed. It is a very difficult and frustrating issue to diagnose and fix. For example, the PS5 coil whine shows itself under heavy load only. My LG OLED is the exact opposite - it only emits coil whine in standby mode at very light load. I’ve had phone chargers that worked silently for months...
  11. bboris77

I was actually considering purchasing the D90SE or the D30/A30 Pro combo, but I have to admit I am a little hesitant considering the "shrug of the shoulders" reaction to various reports of coil whine on these units. Knowing myself, I would not be able to tolerate any audible coil whine coming...
  12. bboris77

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

The importance of the feel of the volume knob cannot be underestimated now that most manufacturers have mastered the art of making transparent headphone amplifiers. My biggest pet peeve are volume knobs that are placed too close to the headphone jack. While the Asgard 3 solved this issue...
  13. bboris77

JDS Labs Atom DAC+ Review

Keep in mind that the distortion figures should be even better in the low gain mode at the same output level compared to the high gain mode. Obviously, the Atom Amp will not go past 2V in low gain if it is being fed by the Atom DAC, but it is very likely that it will be more than loud enough.
  14. bboris77

I do understand that switching power supplies are susceptible to coil whine noise as I have experienced this phenomenon in my PS4 Pro and my PS5. I even hear coil whine from my LG CX OLED screen, but only when it is turned off (but not unplugged). However, I do believe that extra care should be...
  15. bboris77

Electromagnetic Interference in Speaker Cables? (video)

It's been 4 months since he accepted the challenge. I have given up hoping it would happen to be honest. It is a shame because I am genuinely interested in this type of blind testing, especially by people who have the means to make it happen.
  16. bboris77

My D70 also had a slightly loose IEC plug, but there was no issue with it losing contact or accidentally unplugging itself. It was tight enough, but it did not appear as tight as most other equipment with IEC plugs. What makes it difficult to compare with other equipment is that most of Topping...
  17. bboris77

Audiofools turned objectivists or vice-versa?

I was not a full-blown audiophool when I started, but I did explore tube amplifiers and a bunch of tubes which can change the frequency response of any given transducer. Looking back at it now, it is very likely that the effect these various tubes had on my headphones were in the...
  18. bboris77

I was not being facetious. It would be a genuinely interesting blind test. Subjectivists have been challenged many times to perform these with no success. At least Amir has the knowledge and equipment to perform this type of test.
  19. bboris77

On the subject of blind testing that has been mentioned in this thread repeatedly - I would like to propose an alternative test: I would like to know if @amirm, as a trained listener, can successfully pick out the D90SE against any DAC with its SINAD above 96dB. If he can, the objectivist...
Top Bottom