Search results

1. Angsty

Did You Actually Buy a New Disc Recently?

The Dexter Gordon CD was actually a Goodwill purchase. But, because I bought it online and had it shipped, it was $7.64 instead of $2.99.
  2. Angsty

I’m a CD and vinyl collector - I just have a preference for physical media. When I run out of space, I may reconsider as I don’t believe physical media are sonically better. They are tangibly better. As for a *new* CD, just ordered the new Sons of Kemet album today. Streamed it, liked it...
  3. Angsty

Just today received Dexter Gordon, “Gettin’ Around”.
  4. Angsty

Do you need linear power supply for DACs?

As you said, “a cable is a cable”. Unless the cable is so poorly shielded that it is actually contributing to dropped packets ( a very remote possibility), then all Cat5+ Ethernet cables will perform the same. Some cables may be more physically durable than others, but that generally will not...
  5. Angsty

What are we listening to right now..

Wynton Kelly Trio - “Skatin’”
  6. Angsty

Speaker De-coupling

I can see the potential benefits of decoupling the speaker to keep it from exciting the floors directly (disturbing neighbors), but the floors transmitting into the speakers (particularly the cones) I'm less clear about. What about cones having their own suspension? I have heavy speakers; they...
  7. Angsty

Review and Measurements of CHORD Qutest DAC

You're probably right. If the unit was not syncing at the correct bitrate, it should simply not work at all. It's not like you can just be close to the right frequency with digital like it was with analog radio. I'd suggest there is a broader firmware problem with the unit and it will need to...
  8. Angsty

Bring dust cap to original position?

About 12 years ago, my 5 year old son did almost the same thing to a metal woofer on my Thiel CS6. I nearly lost my sh*t. After being assured by the Thiel repair guy that the damage was just cosmetic, I put the grills back on and keep them on to not remind me of the whole situation. Good luck...
  9. Angsty

Speaker De-coupling

I finally got around to watching the Townshend video on isolation. Does this really help with music reproduction or are they measuring effects that just don’t matter? I’d imagine the answer might be different for turntables than for loudspeakers or CD players.
  10. Angsty

Spirits, what you drinking...

Queen Charlotte’s, produced by Muddy River Distillery near Charlotte NC, is my current favorite. Queen Charlotte's Reserve is barrel aged one year in American white oak barrels. It is smooth and flavorful with a great finish. They also make a 4 year, but the 1 year is my go-to. I smile...
  11. Angsty

ASR Panthers

Sometimes more panthers show up on EBay:
  12. Angsty

What was your best (and worst) audio purchase for the dollar?

I’d bet if you put that Adcom in the hands of the right modder, it would come out singing as pretty as a lark.
  13. Angsty

Impact of AC Distortion & Noise on Audio Equipment

$200 for audio jewelry is not so bad. Here’s the gist of what I’ve read so far: For most AC power mains, line noise is not a problem for audio equipment. Even intentionally “dirty” AC sources may not create audible problems. For mains with specifically diagnosed problems, purchase a...
  14. Angsty

Surge suppressors can do harm to power amplifier fidelity if they dramatically constrict in-rush current. My SurgeX does this which is why I connect my other devices to it, but my power amp gets plugged into the wall.
  15. Angsty

That’s not really a line main noise issue; that looks like a voltage sag. Sags have different solutions than noise would have.
  16. Angsty

Audioquest Niagara 1200 Review (Power Conditioner/Surge Protector)

Physics is our friend. Thick and thin in this light have no real relationship to the physics. Sort of like Galileo dropping a big ball and a small ball to prove that gravity accelerates at a constant rate. There are people who still don’t understand that.
  17. Angsty

One of the problems with digital audio is that many people want to try to understand it without getting into the math. @Francis Vaughan gets this topic deeply, but it is exceedingly hard to truly understand it as a learner without comprehending basic digital math concepts like Fourier...
  18. Angsty

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

Using the higher output voltage setting also puts a bit less gain that has to be delivered by your preamp. In some preamps that could result in less output noise.
  19. Angsty

I’m not even sure about lasting longer. I have several 20+ year old, basic three-prong power cables on high quality equipment that are doing just fine. These AQ cables are just bling.
Top Bottom