Search results

1. 617

Simulating the sound of different wall assemblies

I've written a little article on STC ratings, which should be familiar to anyone with a slight interest in architectural acoustics. By applying the STC contour curve to different sound sources, I found I can actually simulate what different STC ratings will likely sound like, both in terms of...
  2. 617

Building Acoustic Panels at Low Cost

This is a project I've wanted to do for a while. I just ordered some wood and insulation for delivery from Home Depot here in the USA to make 8 acoustic panels, each 23" x 47.5" x 3 5/8" (~60 cm x 120 cm x 8.8cm) It turns out that making eight panels is a sensible and economical number of...
  3. 617

What's the deal with microphones?

I want to record some voice-over stuff, and I have an inexpensive condenser mic. I was not really happy with the sound I was getting, so I started doing some EQ and looking at other microphones that people rave about...and I just don't understand what they're talking about. Can someone address...
  4. 617

Razer 'Opus' Impressions / Opinions on Noise Cancellation?

I wanted some noise cancelling headphones for working at home; the nice weather has brought with it a lot of people making noise in my neighborhood. I saw that Rtings tests noise cancellation, and sorted all 500 of their reviews for noise attenuation and found the Razer Opus were close to the...
  5. 617

Crazy new woofer from Scanspeak

Those looking for the most esoteric and crazy woofer to hold down the bass in a speaker design should look no further than the ScanSpeak Ellipticor 38WE/8582T00. This 15" woofer has it all: First of all, we have an Fs of 26hz, nice and low. On top of that, efficiency is high at 95db...
  6. 617

How quiet is -60dB?

Just a quick visualization I made to indicate how quiet -60 dB is. Imagine each of these construction workers is yelling at you. Assuming the first figure is 6' away, each successive figure is twice the distance, or -6 dB further. Pretty amazing to think that -96 dB is equivalent to about 18...
  7. 617

Feature suggestion: ASR "Insider Club"

We've recently seen some poor reviews of headphones which many people owned. Now, I am glad ASR is providing a service to the general public, but a poor review of equipment can tank the resale value of a set of headphones. On the flip side, a good review of an inexpensive unit can increase the...
  8. 617

Automated polar measurements using ARTA

With the advances in free speaker simulation software (VituixCAD), DIY morons like myself can now design speakers of extremely high quality; we can now adjust passive and active filters and see the resulting acoustic summation in whatever form we please; directivity graphs, spinorama, listening...
  9. 617

Any interest in an ASR community speaker project?

It occurs to me that we have a small but diverse group of experts here, and it might be a fun way to 'give back' to the community as a whole if we pooled our resources and designed a really good speaker. What I have in mind is a speaker (or several) which is small enough that a prototype can be...
  10. 617

New wideband compression driver - Celestion Axi2050 (300-20K, no crossover)

I'm not an expert on compression drivers but this thing seems interesting. https://audioxpress.com/news/celestion-to-demonstrate-axi2050-axiperiodic-driver-during-namm-2019 PE has it on sale for 1K...
  11. 617

Audio Science Review forum review, Coronavirus work from home edition

This is a review and detailed characterization of Audiosciencereview.com, which I will refer to as ASR. My review is of special relevance to bored audiophiles who are working from home with somewhat diminished productivity due to the spread of coronavirus, and who lack the ability and patience...
  12. 617

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

Curious to what degree people use ASR reviews and feedback from the ASR community before buying gear. For me personally I picked up a JDS Atom, a Topping D30 and a MOTU audio interface based on reviews. The newly reviewed Revel speakers look tempting as well, of course I have no need for them...
  13. 617

DIY Cardioid Designs?

The recent review of the Genelec 8341 SAM has really affected my thoughts on the design of smaller speakers. This, along with a few other cardioid designs, shows performance which I never dreamed possible in a domestic speaker, especially one of reasonable size. The Genelec is a tiny speaker...
  14. 617

Anyone think desktop systems are underrated?

I have some 305mkii which I use for playing soft synths and I think nearfield listening is really engaging in a way that normal speakers are not. Anyone else have that experience?
  15. 617

MOTU M4 interest?

I wanted to simplify my desktop setup of a good head amp, a good dac, and an okay audio interface into one unit, so I got a new MOTU M4. This seems to be the best of the current cheap 4 in/4 out interfaces, similar to products from Behringer, Presonus, Steinberg, and Focusrite. Amir tested...
  16. 617

For sale: speaker drivers, Topping D30, JDS Atom, Behringer 204HD..

Cleaning out my closet and simplifying my computer audio set up. New / Like New Condition 12x - Tectonic TEBM35C10-4 BMR. The 2" 4 ohm model. Will sell all 12 for $60. 1x - Dayton RS100p 4A - single unit for $20 2x - Dayton 150p 4A - Two of them for $60 2x - Peerless/Vifa NE123-8 - Two for $100...
  17. 617

DIY speakers with Waveguide

After some delays I have decided to post information about my latest speaker build in progress. My hope is that others can learn from my process, making speaker building seem more approachable, and that I can learn from the knowledge of the ASR userbase. This project started with the impulse...
  18. 617

Builder's review of Ghent / IcePower 125asx2 module amp

There seems to be interest in the IcePower boards provided by Bang & Olufsen, many of which are available to consumers now. In the USA, Parts Express will sell you many different models, but if you go on ebay you can find others - in particular is the 125asx2, which is a two channel amplifier...
  19. 617

Anyone else coming back to CDs?

I've been trying to find some Latin Jazz music which isn't on any online service, so I've been shopping around for CDs for the first time in a while. Recently, I purchased 5 albums by an artist I really like for under 20 dollars. Some copies were taken out of circulation from libraries, some...
  20. 617

Resource for ADC quality? Recording interfaces

We have a great variety of DACs tested here, but it may be in the interest of a lot of people to know about the performance of recording interfaces. Specifically, microphone preamps. Is this an easy thing to test? In the same way that our hi-res music formats are limited by our DACs we use for...
Top Bottom