Search results

1. Guermantes

Windows Setting Changes Frequency Response

I suspect it's mostly a vain attempt to "improve" the sound of onboard speakers.
  2. Guermantes

No, I haven't touched the bios yet because it is a shared computer, though I have my audio build on a separate SSD. Processor power plan is at 100% maximum CPU frequency and High Performance. I have also assigned my DAW to use cores 1 to 7 via processor affinity settings because the ACPI spikes...
  3. Guermantes

I've been struggling with a new Dell laptop (Inspiron 5510), too. Using it with a MOTU Ultralite Mk4 and periodically having audio glitches even with ASIO drivers. The culprits for me are ACPI.sys (power management) and storport.sys (storage access) processes causing large DPC latency spikes...
  4. Guermantes

High-res audio comparison: Linn Records Free High Res Samples

I thought oversampling in DSP was in order to avoid aliasing artefacts. Here's a practical demonstration from FabFilter, makers of VST audio plugins:
  5. Guermantes

Presto app

I suspect these are the download equivalent versions supplied by the labels which are used for encoding into the MPEG-4 stream. As far as I know, Presto has never offered DSD downloads. Anyway, I suspect many of the SACDs I bought were not native DSD recordings but encoded from PCM masters.
  6. Guermantes

Presto app

It does. There are two Steven Osborne Hyperion releases in my library that aren't available on Apple Music and I just streamed a track from one on the Presto mobile app.
  7. Guermantes

Presto app

I discovered this last night. I'd bought several physical discs from Presto Classical over the years and they show up in the app for streaming or offline listening. Where I've bought hi-res formats such as SACD or Blu-Ray, there are lossless hi-res versions, otherwise Redbook CDs I've bought are...
  8. Guermantes

Brand new to forum, looking for guidance setting up raspberry pi 4 as dedicated music server, the best player to use, no streaming.

Two things to check: Powered USB hub for the drive. This has been essential for me for solving problems with my external hard disk. The drive volume label. Are there any spaces or unusual characters? If you are still having problems, I'd suggest posting on the MoOde forum as they can help you...
  9. Guermantes

Yes, of course and I would expect a good lawyer to make that point. In most cases, however, it is the defence that are alleging the tampering. The tape is not destroyed, it can still be examined afterwards. It's playback that is compromised because of handling and ferrous residue so a high...
  10. Guermantes

The erase and record heads also leave magnetic signatures on the tape, especially at start and stop events, that can be revealed by coating the tape in ferrous particles. Sometimes it is even possible to match a tape recording to a particular machine. Forensic authenticity analysis of magnetic...
  11. Guermantes

Helping ASR member to start streaming

Apple Music seems to have a decent classical catalogue and offers a 3 month trial. In fact with free trials for many providers you can see which service might be best for your listening habits.
  12. Guermantes

Biographical Films about Musicians

Delia Derbyshire: The Myths and the Legendary Tapes
  13. Guermantes

Brand new to forum, looking for guidance setting up raspberry pi 4 as dedicated music server, the best player to use, no streaming.

I've used various Windows, Linux and MacOS systems for audio purposes both domestically and professionally for years and have experienced pros and cons for each one. Glitching in audio has often been a hardware driver issue rather than something typical of the platform except for occasions where...
  14. Guermantes

Unfortunately I really don't know why your Volumio install is dropping off the network. It sounds unusual. Dynamic IP address allocation would still connect Volumio to your network and it should be visible to Fing. Even if the IP address is being changed by your router on each boot, typing...
  15. Guermantes

I don't know if Volumio has an unmount feature (I use MoOde) but I usually power off the RPi before disconnecting attached drives, just to be safe. I've found MoOde to be quite robust - I often just pull the power from the RPi while it's running and have never had a corruption of the SD card...
  16. Guermantes

The network settings should be persistent between re-boots of the RPi. The only inconvenience that may occur is dynamic IP address allocation by the router which can cause havoc with shortcuts. The way around this is to setup a static IP for the RPi in your router config (the static IP is tied...
  17. Guermantes

If, for some reason, Volumio is not able to re-connect to your router wirelessly, it will boot as a hotspot. [EDIT] But note that the guide says this hotspot fallback is disabled by default. This is from the Volumio quick start guide: Connecting via ethernet should temporarily avoid this as...
  18. Guermantes

Can you log into your router's network management page and see if the RPi is being assigned an IP address? IP addresses can shift around through dynamic allocation. Try connecting the RPi to your router via ethernet cable and see if it's accessible. Recording vinyl is technically possible with...
  19. Guermantes

For what it's worth, I've generally needed to run an external portable drive via a powered USB hub even with an RPi4. My USB DAC (Topping D10) runs fine directly from the ports on the Pi. I am using Moode as my player/library. It has just had a major update with the addition of CamillaDSP which...
  20. Guermantes

Amphion vs Genelec

I suspect a purely practical reason for sharp-edged designs in main monitors is easier soffit mounting: https://www.genelec.com/1237a
Top Bottom