Search results

1. oivavoi

Can we discuss the BMR Tower?

I love this! Beautiful lines
  2. oivavoi

dbx DriveRack VENU360 Review (audio processor)

I actually have an audio interface which could work. Ok, this will be a new thing for me, but I'll have a look at the process!
  3. oivavoi

Ok I became curious about the unit I have in the attic, given that @ObjectAudio described such differences in performance between an older and a newer unit. According to him, one of the giveaways between the older and newer units is that the older (and better) ones have a shielded power supply...
  4. oivavoi

Most definitely. I set up the Venu360 briefly in my system, and thought it only improved the sound (due to EQ), with no negative artifacts. Now it's waiting in the attic between two setups. Generally I think sinad numbers of about 80 should be inaudible/transparent for most real-world setups...
  5. oivavoi

Very interesting, thanks! So the question then is: How can one know if one has a good one or a bad one? (my unit, which currently sits unused in the attic, was bought used in 2017)
  6. oivavoi

Amir, I think each and everyone on this site is immensely thankful for the enormous amount of work you put in, all for free, pro bono, for the greater good etc. Sure, we may argue and complain from time to time, like old couples do, but deep down you should know that we all love you! ;) I think...
  7. oivavoi

Hope you get the chance to measure a unit, Dave, either the same or another one? It is indeed somewhat frustrating to sit here with unanswered questions after seeing such unexpected results.
  8. oivavoi

Xilica XP-4080 is the same price range, but has never been measured as far as I know. I'm holding out for other measurements to confirm though - it just feels a bit strange to me that this unit is apparently worse measuring than the much cheaper little brother DBX PA2.
  9. oivavoi

I was just about to post your measurements to the thread and comment on the same point. One would assume that this unit would perform better than its little brother...
  10. oivavoi

Thanks, this was enlightening. Should probably work fine with lower output settings, then
  11. oivavoi

Surprising indeed! (and disappointing)
  12. oivavoi

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

You get a like for voicing criticism in such a polite and well-reasoned way! Yes, fidelity and preference are different things. And my preference is indeed mine. I would just like to add that I am in no way a "sinad chaser". My preference when it comes to loudspeakers and speaker systems is not...
  13. oivavoi

Very much agree. I listen about 50/50 to classical&jazz vs popular music, and when it comes to popular music it's very much the case as you say. But the 80s and early 90s was also a great period for classical recordings actually, there was more money in recording back then. Still, great jazz and...
  14. oivavoi

How Do I Keep My Apartment Neighbor From Hearing My Subwoofer?

Short answer: Basically nothing. Most of the bass waves are transmitted from the air anyway, so decoupling the speakers from the floor will have a marginal effect at best. Somewhat longer answer: What you may try is to use a DSP device which allows you to turn down the deepest bass, as has...
  15. oivavoi

I see your point. I have performed with a semi-pro choir in churches in Europe with church organs of about the same age, and it does inspire a certain awe that Beethoven may have heard the same organ play...
  16. oivavoi

There have been two or three studies on this, and they indicate that both performers and listeners prefer modern violins over stradivaris. You may be aware of this, but just mentioning it for others reading this thread: Research suggests modern violins outperform prestigious, old Italian models...
  17. oivavoi

Ok, haven't read this whole thread, so sorry if this post adds absolutely no value. Just wanted to say that for me personally listening to vinyl just drives me nuts. Yap. All those defects just annoy the h*** out of me. I've listened to really good vinyl setups, which cost more than my annual...
  18. oivavoi

Genelec 8351B vs Mesanovic RTM10 - AB Test Preparation

Great, good luck! I agree with Keith. Sure, the best thing is impeccable level matching and double blind listening setups. When that's difficult to achieve, I still think it's very interesting with reasonably level-matched and sighted side-by-side listening. Even such basic sighted listening has...
  19. oivavoi

Leave it to the Germans, Abacus Mirra 14

What would be the "science-oriented" way of deciding between waveguides and flat baffles? Do you know of any controlled listening experiments which compare waveguides and flat baffles, and conclude unequivocally that waveguides perform better? I don't, at least. While I don't know the history...
  20. oivavoi

Leave it to the Germans, Abacus Mirra 14

Wow, this looks very interesting. A compact active three-way speaker for a good price... what's not to like? Personally I'm in the camp which is not completely sold on waveguides yet, so that's an additional plus for me, even though it will have a less even directivity pattern than the Neumann...
Top Bottom