Search results

1. Pdxwayne

Both DAC are transparent as measures by Amir, why one not as clean sounding as the other?

All, Before you start typing words like "brain", "imagination", please save your energy. I won't response to such replies. I have done multiple online blind tests, done multiple ABX tests, and a coupe of DAC vs DAC double blind tests. So, please save the lectures about voltage match...
  2. Pdxwayne

Tracking my listening tests

I am using this to track my listening test results as posted in other threads. Online blind tests using my Samsung Note 9 with headphone. 0.5db - pass 0.2db - can't do up 5c pitch - pass 2 ways, 10ms - pass Screenshots in...
  3. Pdxwayne

When did you decide to study STEM major in university? Tips for my daughter?

My daughter is junior in high school and she can't really decide if STEM major in university would be a good fit for her. She already did many online self assessment things and talk to counselor, etc. She even took some online introductory classes for programming, etc. She did just fine, but...
  4. Pdxwayne

Harmonics of DAC + Amp, cumulative?

Let's say when playing 1Khz tone at 0db, the DAC's second harmonic is at -90db. Let's say an amp is measured to have second harmonic of -90db too. When playing 1Khz test tone into such DAC and then to such amp, what kind of second harmonic would be outputted to the speakers? Assuming -140db...
  5. Pdxwayne

Choices of eq+cossover device that is as good as direct DAC to amp?

I am looking for a room eq+crossover device that I can placed between my DAC and amps, but as transparent as direct DAC to amp. In Amir's thread for PS Audio PerfectWave DirectStream, he said: ...... Next I played some of my bass heaving tracks i use for headphone testing. Here, it was easy to...
  6. Pdxwayne

High pass at 450 Hz, perceived harshness from around 8khz reduced??

I found a certain vocal recordings irritate me more than others. See my thread at https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/certain-vocals-irritate-me-anyway-to-reduce-the-irritation-via-eq.22715/post-755786 The first video in my other thread irritated me the most when using...
  7. Pdxwayne

Combine small and large speakers into hybrid 3 ways? Good or bad idea?

I have two distinct setups in my living room. One is 2.1, with bookshelf and sub, just for my stereo listening. The other is 3.0, with floorstander as the mains, mostly for my family members watching YouTube videos. What I have found is that the bookshelf speakers have much better details than...
  8. Pdxwayne

Certain vocals irritate me. Anyway to reduce the irritation via eq?

I found vocal in many music recordings irritating. There is a certain sharpness to the voice that I don't like. Is there a way to know what freq range is responsible for it and then eq down a few dB of that range to reduce the sharpness? I think this perception of sharpness varies person to...
  9. Pdxwayne

Magnetic field observations from power cables

In one recent power cable thread, it was mentioned that power cable would cause issue to RCA cables if those are placed next to each other. I became curious about magnetic field of OEM cable (16awg x 3) vs those thicker, lower AWG (12 awg x 3) premium power cable (typically less than $50 for...
  10. Pdxwayne

Minidsp hd2x4, or two minidsp 2x4(non HD) ?

I have single hd2x4 and two 2x4 non-hd. All currently not in use. I am thinking about using minidsp for my speakers (not subs) to tame some room modes higher than 200 Hz and also do high pass. I mainly listen to CD quality music and lower. My Gustard x16 is a balanced DAC. What combo is...
  11. Pdxwayne

Songs with crazy amount of low sub bass

I listened to Hans Zimmer's Blade Runner 2049 via Amazon music (non HD) and the bass shakes my house. I thought it must have some pretty low 20 Hz tones there. To my surprise, it seems the bass go down to teens or lower? Fortunately at least one of my sub is supposed to have output down to 12...
  12. Pdxwayne

REW waterfall vs Amir's speaker measurement waterfall

I like how the bass sounds in my living room when playing Hans Zimmer music. So I thought I would check the waterfall measurements in my room when playing right speaker with right sub (mic 9.5 ft away, 0 degree toe angle from speaker). Here is how it looks. It seems no obvious big problem for...
  13. Pdxwayne

I am a bit dissapointed that one speakers distortion in 5Khz region is a lot higher than then other. Normal?

I did some REW measurements today to better sync my speakers to my subs. While making measurements, I noticed one speaker have odd shape distortion around 5.45 Khz region, but not the other. I wonder if this this typical of speakers variations? I measured at ~10 ft away and 3ft away from...
  14. Pdxwayne

Marantz 8801 good enough to use as preamp for Gustard X16?

Currently I am using Gustard X16 straight to amp. Thus, my bookshelves speakers are getting full range signals. I am thinking about high pass the speakers at 80hz. I am wondering if using Marantz AV8801 as preamp to highpass the freq would degrade the audio quality too much. What do you...
  15. Pdxwayne

IMD audibility, using XLR vs RCA output of Gustard x16

I tired using Gustard x16 xlr out direct to amp since yesterday. To get Tidal mqa, I had to use fixed volume on my node2i. Thus the only way to control volume is using X16 volume control. Using x16 xlr out to my amp causes my speakers to go much louder than when using RCA. I had to use -20db...
  16. Pdxwayne

Using XLR Y splitter with Gustard x16, OK?

Hi All, My Gustard X16 XLR output impedance is 300 Ohm. My amp XLR input impedance is 66K ohm. My subs XLR input impedance is 20K ohm. OK to use XLR Y splitter to connect one X16 XLR output to one stereo amp xlr input and one sub xlr input, correct? I am thinking about doing this because I...
  17. Pdxwayne

DAC burn-in/break-in? My Gustard X16 measurements

This is a post copied from my other thread at https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/phase-shift-and-echo-trails-length-illusion.20618/post-684254. When I first got my X16 into my stereo setup, my first impression was E30 have better highs. Because I did voltages...
  18. Pdxwayne

Phase shift and echo trails length illusion

May I know phase shift difference between DAC could cause echo trails' length differences between DAC? When I first got the X16, I thought it is lacking the sparkles of E30. Now that I did more measurements, I am wondering the extra sparkles could be due to E30 have longer echo trails because...
  19. Pdxwayne

Bass control differences between DAC? What to check with measurements?

I bought 3 DAC in the last few months due to ASR. :D My most recent DAC is Gustard x16. My impression is that X16 have better bass control than Topping E30. For example, feeling the bass shakes easily and cleanly with x16. E30 less so. It is possible to measure bass control? I have used a...
  20. Pdxwayne

Variation in voltages measured during cold start of DAC. Expected?

In a few months span, I bought 3 DAC so far due to ASR. : ) After I got my Gustard x16, I decided to measure it's RCA output voltages over a range of frequencies. I found the results kind of odd. X16 has the lowest measured output via REW at -16db as compared to KTB and E30. Due to that, I...
Top Bottom