Search results

1. JohnYang1997

Resolving Measurement Issues with SONCOZ SGD1 DAC

Things like this usually just makes me furious. I'm pretty sure a portion of people are converting to us (ASRers) and still a portion will continue to find "flaws"/"discrepancies" to feed their make belief.
  2. JohnYang1997

The Etymotic Target (R.I.P. Harman)

There are some weird/good characteristics of NS10 that made them that way. It never was claimed to sound like bigger systems. But when one mix on them and of course knowing how they sound one can make reliable decisions to sound good on bigger systems. If it's not the case no one would be using...
  3. JohnYang1997

Topping PA3 Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Not one of those. And those are still coming.
  4. JohnYang1997

Oh come on. Large studios have dedicated room for mastering. Those are with large most of the time in the wall real deal monitors. Those are seriously no joke. The use of NS10 or auratone is to pick out nasty things to eq out. And ns10 translates well to bigger systems. And the key is that there...
  5. JohnYang1997

The comparison is done to raw FF and DF instead of modified DF like etymotic. Like you said before apart from major discrepancy in the bass <200hz. There's very small difference between etymotic target and Harman target. The question was simply what's neutral instead of what's preferred. Would...
  6. JohnYang1997

This is what we are talking about. Etymotic target vs original Harman Target in 2013 has very little difference to begin with >200hz. So it's already splitting hair or basically the bass is in the question. It may very well be, or it's precisely caused by mismatch in leakage in human ear vs...
  7. JohnYang1997

Measurements work very well(for in ears) relatively well(for over ears) from 500Hz to 6khz. The rest is better with in the ear "measurements" using tone generator. Music works for overall balance and mid range. Trained listeners can identify the place of the resonance but not exactly...
  8. JohnYang1997

Class D Amplifiers 101

SE configuration has high noise floor giving "better" looking graph. Then the analyzer configuration is different for these graphs. The 3ohm one is 20khz BW. The other two are 80khz BW. If you read the 20khz BW ones only you'd see the distortion at 20W rises to 0.02% or so for all different loads.
  9. JohnYang1997

Neutral is flat speakers in well treated room. Read that again. What it means is that a pair of speakers with flat anechoic response put in a well treated room. Not in room response being flat.
  10. JohnYang1997

Sine sweep (manually) is exceptionally good for identifying peaks and dips in the frequency response. And it's really a great tool to have for the valleys and bump in the bass(<500hz) and highs (>6khz). Usually it's difficult to use music to identify issues at those regions. 10khz-14khz range is...
  11. JohnYang1997

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

The total offset distance across 4 gangs. Not DIY fixable.
  12. JohnYang1997

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Unit to unit variation. If you feel its unusable you can ask for another replacement.
  13. JohnYang1997

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

From two perspectives, one is that EX5 is going to push power way better than e10k no matter what(1300mW against 200mW). Another is that compared to dedicated amps like L50 or A30pro the power is not that much(1.3W against 3.5/4W). But it still has one of the best amplifier in a combo unit.
  14. JohnYang1997

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Louder doesn't mean it has more power. The fiio might just have more gain. It may be that you need to check if you have any attenuation on the digital side. On the other hand, yes you can run ex5 constantly on high gain on 90% volume. Not a problem for EX5.
  15. JohnYang1997

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

Just how the difference dacs behave.
  16. JohnYang1997

That's exactly why it's a never winning game. No one else has the power to listening test with large group of people. I also have more important stuff to do. The issue is misconception is clearly more than you imagine.
  17. JohnYang1997

So which is the research paper with er4s mentioned? Or it's just hidden behind the unnamed ones?
  18. JohnYang1997

I'm not talking about "other" people. Me with my friends I mentioned know how to measure (have used RA0045 and 4128c)and I was paying for AES member in the ear 2018 reading all the headphones/earphones related papers with them. We also could do eq by ear to +-1dB in the mid range and a bit loose...
  19. JohnYang1997

You are dodging the question. The question was about the target not a model comparing to a different target. There's more variable in earphones especially the deep inserting ones. You don't get proper response without inserting properly. But I don't think it's the listening test done by Harman.
Top Bottom