Search results

1. H

Room EQ Mystery

I use 'no smoothing' to measure below 300Hz. I also just tinker with REW until it's at its flattest. If that requires two or three measurements so be it. I just assume that the room and its contents behave in such a complicated way which even sophisticated measuring cannot accurately reveal. To...
  2. H

Speaker choices for a reflective, large room

Electrostats are called bipole speakers because they throw out sounds equally forwards and backwards. They are said to disperse more narrowly though. Whatever speakers you consider it's a must that you try them in your home. If (and I would check this to be certain) reflections off the side...
  3. H

They say speaker cables do not matter ..

Can someone please provide a link, or explain, how an individual listener can do a blind test of speaker cables in a normal domestic situation.
  4. H

Using musical tones for tuning your speakers

The only issue I have with this idea is if the speaker is not designed to play the lower frequencies and therefore forcing it to do so could damage it. Anyway, another way to find if low frequencies are playing correctly on your gear is to use these test tones: http://realtraps.com/test-cd.htm...
  5. H

Room correction - speakers moving

I agree that small markers on your floor would be a good idea. If the speakers are slipping a bit some sort of non-slip pads may help. I also find that my listening chair can move from me getting in and out. If you consider that when you are listening you will be moving your head a bit...
  6. H

UM1-K has arrived - now to get started, but sweep and moving mic measurements don't line up.

A single point measurement is ideal for one listening position. If you plan for a few people to listen on a sofa then perhaps a multi position average or the MMM may be better. As far as I'm concerned measurements like you've shown are a guide to be used to get you to where you want. So...
  7. H

Speaker placement and room feedback please

I agree with this. If you can find a DSP device with a reasonably good ADC (analogue to digital converter) and DAC the benefits from improved sound from the EQ/DSP far outweighs any losses there may be from the conversions. Here are some reviews on this site of such equipment...
  8. H

Peaks are high points on the graph, dips are low points. If a frequency has a peak it will play louder then the rest of the frequencies, and of course if it has a dip it will play quieter. This means for example on your graph that a note around 95Hz will sound about 15dB louder then a note of...
  9. H

With no smoothing that is remarkably good. If you look on this thread you will see the results of others. Mine is post 60 and note the 'No Treatment - Full Treatment' graph and how 'rough' the No Treatment FR is. It also spans a range of around 40dB...
  10. H

I too had to learn all this over the years and still only know a fraction of what REW can do! On the SPL tab, go to the top right corner and you'll see a button called 'Limits'. Click on that and you can set the parameters of your graph. Also in that corner is 'Controls'. Here you can set...
  11. H

Could you show the SPL using the parameters 85-105dB and with no smoothing? There seem to be obvious drawbacks to your room with an open end behind the speakers and the 'L' shape that appears to be to the left of the couch. Some of the bass energy may be lost through that open end. I would...
  12. H

Help with Speaker Placement in an Asymmetrical Bedroom

The general aim with EQ/DSP is to get a smooth reasonably flat frequency response (FR) from 30Hz to 20Khz at the listening position. Some people like a slightly sloping FR being about 6dB higher at 30Hz then 20kHz (or some other 'House Curve'). It's really down to taste and perhaps the music you...
  13. H

Help with Speaker Placement in an Asymmetrical Bedroom

Firstly I don't think it's possible to get good sound in all four listening positions (LP). You should select the most important one and do your best for that. What you could do then is use Digital Signal Processing (DSP) to make the best of things in the other LPs, as well as your main one. DSP...
  14. H

Trying to figure out reasonable stereo system for difficult living room

Firstly I don't much like the idea of a coffee table (numbered 10) in between you and any speakers. They can reflect sounds to your listening position (LP). You might be better with two smaller tables at each end of the couch. You could consider temporary speaker positions for listening and...
  15. H

Help with configuration speakers + subwoofer + DAC + amplifier + cd-cassette player

Like all pretty old products you need to be careful that the key components work. With cassette players I believe it is the heads that are the most vulnerable. Yamaha was also a good make ones. For CD players it is the laser itself that needs checking. Marantz was often considered good. I...
  16. H

Help with configuration speakers + subwoofer + DAC + amplifier + cd-cassette player

As Zek says, the TEAC is only analogue out so you are stuck with that. There are some CD players that have both an analogue out and digital out. This gives you the choice of using the CD player's own DAC, or one of your choice. A cassette player is purely analogue and will not need the use of a...
  17. H

From what I can see, the TEAC is analogue out only, no digital out. The analogue in I would guess is so that you can record onto the cassette from some other source. Therefore you won't need and can't use your DAC with the TEAC. The 'Amplifier' referred to in your diagram I suspect means an...
  18. H

EQ for head phones

The equalisers you are talking about from the 70s were analogue. Today the recommendation is a digital equaliser and can offer more functions and accuracy. There are two types of EQ that are useful. A Parametric Equaliser (PEQ) which allows you to select three parameters: specific frequencies...
  19. H

Sennheiser HD650 Upgrade

I'm not sure going balanced (both with the headphone cable or the interconnects) will make any difference in truth. I have both balanced because I bought into the idea but when you read about what these actually attempt to do it seems they are irrelevant for our purposes. EQ used sensibly is...
  20. H

Room mode at ~ 82 Hz - Does this make sense?

The Amroc site will explain a lot of this: https://amcoustics.com/articles/roommodes or go to your Amroc link and then click on the 'More about room modes and this calculator', top right. I use a Behringer DEQ2496 for adjusting room modes and other bass issues (as well as lots of room...
Top Bottom