Search results

1. Helicopter

Post pictures of anything, with comment...couple words.

On the Hawaii theme, a young Kilauea fern.
  2. Helicopter

Denon DRA-800H Review (Stereo Receiver)

Yup. This thing has a certain bundle of features that is going to be perfect for some consumers, but it completely fails on implementation here. Doesn't even matter if the unimpressive specs still get reasonably acceptable sound. It really should be super cool class D and about half as tall...
  3. Helicopter

Cheapest Full Range 20hz - 20khz Speakers?

My take is the best within reason would be a big room with good trearment, multichannel, and subs. Best Focal up to Kanta, best Revel for the budget. Maybe Rythmik subs, Denon AVR, powerful external amps, maybe a Sony ultra BDP. Then get some multichannel music from Acoustic Sounds. If you just...
  4. Helicopter

Focal Celestee Review (Headphone)

The bass at the begining is super clean on mine. There is some high pitched bird chirp or squeeky hinge type sample going on with it, but no rattles.
  5. Helicopter

Focal Celestee Review (Headphone)

I don't hear anything that's not obviously in the recording with my Celestee. The vocals have some rough and distorted edginess, but they are supposed to sound thay way.
  6. Helicopter

My Dog - pet thread

I had a Maine Coon and a barn cat but they both died in the last 3 years. I would really like to get 2 or 3 coons again. The one I had was blue slate, but I can't find a breeder with solid blue slate in the midwest. Solid White or black would work too.
  7. Helicopter

What Type of Headphones Sound the Best?

Great video. I wonder what Harman has cooking.
  8. Helicopter

JBL Control 29AV-1 Review (PA/Outdoor Speaker)

Thanks Amir. Still searching for the right one I suppose. I do. So do my in laws. Maybe more common here than other places. I am sure a lot of CI firms use outdoor speakers to give the package a little boost. I am taking out the pool and putting in a patio in the coming months because I worry...
  9. Helicopter

FX Audio DAC-M1 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Thanks Amir. This is better than I expected. Nice little amp. My main takeaway from this review is that I need to get DCA headphones. I just need to pick the Noire or the Stealth. He made a deal to keep it, detailed a bit in the Stealth thread.
  10. Helicopter

The Case For AVRs... Am I missing something???

AVRs are so home theater, so 1998, so passé. And they are not hifi. None of them measure great compared to the best stereo gear, and none of them offer the aesthetic delight or euphonic distortion on the other end of hifi. ;) In seriousness, stereo is trendy right now so a lot of design...
  11. Helicopter

When is a DAC or Amp audibly transparent?

67dB SINAD on my Loxjie P20 sounds surprisingly good to my ears with most music. What you hear is more apparent against silence or a sine wave than actual music. That may have to do with real world microphone performance. Speaking of transducers, good luck finding speakers or headphones that...
  12. Helicopter

Schiit Vali 2+ Review (Tube Headphone Amp)

Thanks Amir. Nice to see how this performs. It looks like it does what it is supposed to do, i.e., deliver tube sound in an inexpensive and attractuve package within the Schiit aesthetic. No objections here. They are candid enough for my needs admitting something like Magnius or IEMagni us a...
  13. Helicopter

Pre amplifier into an integrated amplifier?

It is fine to use a pre amp with an integrated amp, just redundant. The integrated amp will see the pre amp as a source.
  14. Helicopter

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

I am currently using Chemex and (brand new) Aeropress as well, and agree on the hot brew temp, light roast, and Chemex grind. I have metal filters and have not settled on a grinder yet. What are you using to grind and filter?
  15. Helicopter

Douk VU2 Review (VU Meter/Input Selector)

Thanks Amir, and whoever sent it in. I seriously considered this and similar ones at one point. Glad to have the information before purchasing.
  16. Helicopter

HTD Level THREE Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

Thanks Amir! After FR graph: Me: "Wow, what a mess!" Mrs Helicopter: "Did you just make a mess?" Me: "No. Nothing." Next I read: :D
  17. Helicopter

Schiit Magnius Balanced Headphone Amp Review

No issues with mine. It seems totally transparent with IEMs to me, but I despise IEMs because of how they feel in my ears. If I enjoyed IEMs, I would probably go for IEMagni over this. I have a Heresy from before Magnius came out that I have kept in the system for better SE performance, and I...
  18. Helicopter

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

Seem pretty similar through my Heresy and Focal Utopias. I do think it might get a little louder for miliseconds between steps, but I think it is normal. Since it switches between settings, I suspect that between settings it could either have some combination of resistances in parallel, or have...
  19. Helicopter

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

I don't hear anything in your video that seems different from mine. Not sure exactly how attenuator works, but maybe when you are between one setting and the next, there is less resistance and more volume than you have at either full step. If that is the case, it wouldn't be a defect, just an...
  20. Helicopter

Need help from hifi anonymous to not buy Focal Aria 948

You need the 948s first so you have a place to put the headphones. ;)
Top Bottom