Search results

1. S

When is a DAC or Amp audibly transparent?

Sorry for the duplicative thread if this has been asked many times before. I figure it was asked before, but I couldn't quickly find something with the search function. But essentially, any DAC with a SINAD > 110db should be pretty much excellent, provided it also has a flat FR, and there is...
  2. S

When is a DAC or Amp audibly transparent?

At what SINAD and other metrics can we consider a DAC or Amp audibly transparent? I know we want a well engineered device, but at what threshold can you no longer hear a difference (even for very trained ears)?
  3. S

DIY Streamer

So interestingly, Khadas will be releasing a Tone2 board, which is based on their Tone 2 Pro DAC (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/khadas-tone2-pro-review-dac-amp.20684/), but for DIY purposes. Might come out in Q4, so maybe I'll wait for that, as that would meet my...
  4. S

DIY Streamer

Because almost no DAC has trigger functionality. I want whenever I switch on the streamer/dac, my poweramp to also switch on. So I just want it all internally in one enclosure, and I also want to add a display for track info and so on. Won't be the easiest thing to build I suppose, but I don't...
  5. S

DIY Streamer

Any recommendations for good measuring balanced DAC boards that could be integrated in a streamer build? There seem to be a lot of different ones on AliExpress, with ES9038 chips, AK chips, etc, but no idea if any of those boards are designed well and would thus measure well. Designing a DAC...
  6. S

DIY Streamer

Alright, thanks for mentioning this. Looking at Moode, I can probably use CamillaDSP for applying custom filters to correct for my room after taking measurements with REW. Which would be fantastic, as my Yamaha receiver nicely cleaned up some room modes where the sound signature is much...
  7. S

DIY Streamer

Thanks. I don't have an extra DAC yet, so I'll need to start looking into what options I have. My ideal build would have everything in one box, including the DAC with balanced outputs (maybe a Kadas Toneboard?), and it would have a trigger output which I could use to turn on an external...
  8. S

DIY Streamer

Hi all, I want to build a simple DIY streamer, preferably with integrated DAC, for use on my home network to stream from my NAS (primarily), but perhaps to also have Spotify functionality and perhaps other streaming services. I saw the Open Source Streamer project here, but looks like that...
  9. S

Best cheap USB-C headphone dongles?

Thanks, this is a good answer. I'll pick up a few of the Apple dongles. I will only be using these with Android phones as backup to my Hidizs S8, for PCs I have better solutions :)
  10. S

Which Meizu is that specifically?
  11. S

That also works well on Android? I read that volume tends to be low on Android.
  12. S

I'm considering getting a new Samsung Galaxy S21 series phone. These of course no longer have headphone jacks. I already have the Hidizs S8, which I'm very happy with, but I want to get a few cheap backup dongles to store with my various headphones, in case I forget to the bring the Hidizs S8...
  13. S

Neurochrome HP-LOAD Review (Headphone Dummy Load)

Nice! I'm using his buffer boards and speaker protection circuits in a Purifi amp I built last year. Yes, very high quality designs, and great service. Can highly recommend Neurochrome stuff.
  14. S

Revel C208 Review (Center Speaker)

If you look around you can get Revel speakers for 20-25% off MSRP.
  15. S

Sony WH-1000XM4 Review (noise cancelling headphone)

Thanks for the tip. This is great!
  16. S

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

Oh? Is their QA a bit shoddy?
  17. S

How to mix AVR + External DAC + 2ch amp?

Probably if you want good quality audio switchers with all the features you want, you'd need to build it yourself. It's probably the route I'll go once I get to that point, though I haven't researched yet how exactly to build a completely transparent audio switcher. But likely the audio...
  18. S

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

Topping should make a fully featured multi-ch AVR, or AVP with Dirac. I'm sure they'd knock it out of the park, as they've proven time and time again to put in a lot of effort into their engineering.
  19. S

Haha, yeah well the imperial system is great for rough measurements. You can use your feet for, well, feet. You can use the first section of your index finger for inches. Great for doing quick ball-park measurements. But for precision, the metric system is just better, and also easier to work...
  20. S

I had the Bose NC700 and the Sony XM4. Between the two, I'd argue the Bose has the better NC, especially on airplanes (it just becomes dead quiet), whereas with the XM4 I could still faintly hear the engines. I ended up gifting the NC700 to my brother and sold the XM4 as I didn't find them...
Top Bottom