Search results

1. F

KEF R3 Speaker Review

No, that's just how the speaker behaves. Please see the spin data posted on the previous page. Roon can handle IIR filters. If no one else wants to provide him with some, I'll do it tomorrow.
  2. F

Recommended reading for new comers and inquisitive minds.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I can supply you with both the PDF and EPUB format of the book after you buy it. Or before ;) Just start a conversation with me if/when you're interested.
  3. F

New set of graphs for all speakers reviews

I want to bring back the subject of which equalization method that's the ideal for equalizing speakers with non-ideal directivity. In 2008, Sean Olive et al. published the paper Comparison of Loudspeaker-Room Equalization Preference for Multichannel, Stereo, and Mono Reproductions: Are...
  4. F

Audeze LCD-24 Review (Headphone)

I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. We are both in agreement that a Q=3 filter is appropriate to deal with the 4 kHz dip. My position is that the dip (1-5 kHz in its entirety) has a low Q-factor and should therefore be dealt with with a low Q-factor EQ filter. Your position seems...
  5. F

Considering the fact that the context of Toole's quote is the figure above it and the fact that the resonances were introduced via EQ, I don't think I'm taking anything out of context.
  6. F

How to equalize the right way, slow or sudden adjustment in terms of frequency?

Your EQ should be the inverse of the frequency response deviation. Option 2 is not even remotely plausible.
  7. F

I'll have to disagree. These headphones are very sensitive and have a very low distortion profile. A typically recommended $100 amp should have no problem driving them even with a -12 dB gain preamp setting. A Q-factor of 3 is not high. Toole defines low, medium, and high Q as 1, 10, and 50...
  8. F

The response is fairly smooth up to 4 kHz, so it shouldn't be a problem to equalize the large 1-5 kHz dip in that area. It's from 8 kHz and up, where thing get really volatile, and reseats are likely to shift the narrow dips and peak around, that it becomes problematic to make reliable EQ...
  9. F

KEF R3 Speaker Review

Here you go: https://pierreaubert.github.io/spinorama/KEF%20R7/Misc/index_misc-speakerdata2034.html It's the same data as you posted, it has just been digitized. This is the original source: https://assets.kef.com/uploads/cm/r2018_whitepaper_en.pdf page 20
  10. F

KEF R3 Speaker Review

He's a larger picture of the same spin: Using the tonality baseline of 200 Hz, the dip is about 2-3 dB deep. Compared to the rest of the response from 1 to 10 kHz, it's ~1 dB. So not a big deal and not something I would advise anyone to correct based on this data.
  11. F

KEF R3 Speaker Review

R3 has an upward shelving treble in the PIR that starts at 2-3 kHz. It can be countered with a -2 dB high shelf filter @ 2.5 kHz. The settings I recommended in my first post serve the same purpose. R7 has a bit of a dip from 2 to 3 kHz. The measurements I have access to aren't high quality...
  12. F

Review and Measurements of Fiio K5 Pro

You must have been reading the wrong forums or not reading this one carefully enough :) Any of the well-reviewed $100 DACs will do, such as Topping D10s, SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II, Schiit Modi 3+, Monoprice Liquid Spark DAC, JDS Labs Atom DAC. I very much doubt any of them are going to make an...
  13. F

Review and Measurements of Fiio K5 Pro

Nope, the DAC is the weakest part of the K5 Pro, so that's where you should look if you want to "upgrade". Waste of money if you ask me. Most, if not all, of these amps also have analog (and therefore flawed) volume control. In that regard, they would make a downgrade.
  14. F

KEF R3 Speaker Review

Ideally, you should use a software based parametric equalizer. That said, I'll recommend that you set both 4 kHz and 8 kHz to -2 dB.
  15. F

Harmonics of DAC + Amp, cumulative?

Because that page is about THD. Even if two devices had identical THD figures, the makeup of the harmonics would be different, thus making the signals incoherent.
  16. F

It's 3 dB for incoherent signals and 6 dB for coherent signals. If both are the second order harmonics of a 1 kHz tone, they're both 2 kHz tones (i.e., coherent). EDIT: the 3 and 6 dB figures only work if the signals are equal in SPL.
  17. F

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-coherentsources.htm
  18. F

Kali Audio IN-5 vs. Adam Audio A5x vs. Adam Audio T5V

It isn't for me, but it depends on your listening distance, the background noise, and also the level of hiss you can personally tolerate.
  19. F

Kali Audio IN-5 vs. Adam Audio A5x vs. Adam Audio T5V

Can't complain. Probably not without room EQ, but that goes for all speakers. They're flawless.
Top Bottom